• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Smashing Conference catered by George Pie - A NZ Domestic Conference T20 Model

Dead Meat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Listened to the Geek & Friends podcast today where they chatted about the success of the BBL and what administrators of T20 in the UK could learn from it. Since I couldn't watch the Ford Trophy Final (outside NZ) my mind wondered how to make anyone care about the George Pie Super Smash and the glory days of NZ Conference Cricket. 8-)

https://soundcloud.com/geek-friends/geek-friends-117-i-like-big-bash-i-cannot-lie

As a young cricket tragic I remember basking over my copy of the 97 cricket almanac and the alluring scorecards of Conference Cricket.

(on a cursory google search all I could find was this classic google group chat
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.cricket/zrhbJfCD2fo)

My idea is based on the premise that 20/20 is an avenue to capture a wider audience that just cricket fans, and grow the sport in general. Given NZ's small population it's perhaps unrealistic but here's my "pie in the sky" idea anyway.

1. 3 Teams Only
Outside of rep cricketers I don't think anyone truly cares about the existing domestic teams. A 3 team conference competition should in theory raise the quality of the cricket and give administrators another chance to association random nouns with geographic reasons or invent another fiery critter. Alternatively teams could be defined on CW terms - "The Engine Roomers," "Agribuiness Inc" "The Icing XI" etc

2. An Incentive to Win
The obvious one here would be entry to the BBL. The aussie's don't seem that keen (fair enough) so here's another idea - the winner plays the national team or even a current touring side in a three match series (perhaps tri series?). (I guess presuming internationals are not available - or that the conference gets preference to players of the national team). Could be a way of bringing an associate national into the fold as well.

3. 8 Week competition - 2 games per week Friday night, Sat afternoon

Each team plays successive home matches (e.g. North - plays Central Friday, then South Sat), all teams move to the next home location. There are two rounds of this home rotation.

This is obviously a lot less games than currently. But I'm going for quality over quantity here.

This is just a vague concept and obviously there are a numerous list of pratical limitations. Having the competition free to air a la' the BBL makes sense as well (unlikely as it is).

Just feel that especially after listening to the Geeks podcast, the current Georgie Pie Super Smash model dosen't have a lot going for it long term (other than that great name)
and with cricket's interest in NZ peaking following the WC it's a great time to try something else out.

Issues around scheduling, weather and international availabilities still arise but they always will.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
hold the games at small venues instead of stadiums during the day on weekends or during the holidays with a proper home and away schedule and people will actually turn up and it will look good on tv.

aka things they did right 4-5 years ago

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I really think the BLACKCAPS® participation is key also, to the extent that maybe the shouldn't even arrogantly try to drum up the domestic T20 at all, in the seasons where it's completely impossible. The best season they had was 2011/12 for that sole reason, and the attempted passing off of canned beans as rare delicacies (Kevin O'Brien, and the like) has just come across as taking cricket to the bottom of the barrel.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I think they need more flamethrowers. An extra flamethrower for every unavailable blackcap.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
In my mind, if the Shell Cup can be big in the 90s then domestic T20 should be aiming to be bigger than that.

I'd stick with the traditional six teams for simplicity.

Also, it's essential that at least some current Black Caps play in this tournament. The best case would be to get some semi-retired foreign stars as well.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
copy the big bash and split all the regions into two teams. Auckland becomes "the Auckland Assholes" and "the Auckland Awfuls"

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
You can type moron, cretin and imbecile, but you can't type the word that came to be used as a euphemism for those things because they were nasty.