cricket betting betway blog banner small

Thread: The Numbers Debate: 4th innings centuries

The Numbers Debate: 4th innings centuries

Had a random thought that I couldn't remember who the last England batsman to score a ton in a successful 4th innings chase in Tests was (turns out it was Cook in Bangladesh in 2010), so had a wee check on statsguru. Turns out there's only been 70 instances of a batsman scoring a ton in a successful 4th innings chase.

What surprised me more was that there's 69 instances of a batsman scoring a 4th innings ton in a defeat.

Which got me thinking. I'm probably missing a subtlety somewhere along the line, but is it just me or does this suggest that 4th innings tons are pretty worthless as a measure of a batsman, as it seems to have little bearing on the outcome of a game?

Discuss.
    Last edited by Furball; 29-01-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    I'm probably missing a subtlety somewhere along the line
    They're called draws.
    orz

International Debutant
    It depends how highly one rates Graeme Smith.

The 4th innings is usually the hardest time to bat (except for places with day one greentops) and a chase needs to be 250+ to provide a decent chance for a player to score a century (unless Warner/Sehwag). As pitches and conditions increasingly favour batsmen and more 400+ chases become likely, there should be more 4th innings centuries
    Last edited by Fuller Pilch; 29-01-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent TBY View Post
    They're called draws.
    83 instances of 4th innings tons in draws.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Had a random thought that I couldn't remember who the last England batsman to score a ton in a successful 4th innings chase in Tests was (turns out it was Cook in Bangladesh in 2010), so had a wee check on statsguru. Turns out there's only been 70 instances of a batsman scoring a ton in a successful 4th innings chase.

What surprised me more was that there's 69 instances of a batsman scoring a 4th innings ton in a defeat.

Which got me thinking. I'm probably missing a subtlety somewhere along the line, but is it just me or does this suggest that 4th innings tons are pretty worthless as a measure of a batsman, as it seems to have little bearing on the outcome of a game?

Discuss.
    I am not sure about your conclusion though. There are 70 successful and 69 unsuccessful, how does that make it worthless as a measure?

We need to contextualise it in the sense that, usually teams don't bat as long during the 4th innings, either because their targets are small, or they don't even get halfway there.

I think the worth or quality of a 4th innings total is more to do with the fact that you are batting in the most difficult of conditions, on the most difficult day, quite often standing between defeat or draw (sometimes wins).
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

I'm probably missing a subtlety somewhere along the line
    Ya, number of not outs... Among 70 4th innings centuries in wins 37 are unbeaten hundreds; while among 69 4th innings centuries in losses the number is only 11.

So, the persons who score 4th innings centuries in wins more often finish the job by staying till the end.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

International Coach

Discuss.
    Obviously conditions vary wildly but, historically, as a general rule of thumb, on average the amount of runs you need to be chasing in the 4th innings to make your side the underdog (forget draws for a second) isn't *that* much higher than the amount of runs you need to be chasing for even an opener to have enough time to score a century before the total is chased down. Given that, I'm actually a little surprised there have been more 4th innings centuries in winning causes than losing ones at all tbh.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Thread Information