Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup predictions

School Boy/Girl Captain

World Cup predictions

Here's mine:

Winners: South Africa
    Runners-up: Australia
    3rd: New Zealand (if they can get their stuff together)
    4th: Pakistan
    5th: Ski Lanka
    6th: India
    7th: Zimbabwe
    8th: England
    9th: West Indies

and the rest...

[Edited on 6/18/02 by MrPerko]

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    South Africa to win? That's a joke, right? Look at their recent record.........ESPECIALLY against Australia.

Now that Punter and the Aussie cricket 'brains trust' (and I use that term loosely) have decided that the best form of offense is a good defense, I don't see Australia making it past the semis. My winning order:

Winner: Pakistan
    R/U: New Zealand (though both teams look REALLY good)

Semis teams: Pakistan, NZ, Australia, South Africa.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    The Aussies to win with South Africa second and New Zealand third.

[Edited on 6/18/02 by Eyes_Only]
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

i think u will see the same teams in the semis as last time

australia, south africa, pakistan & new zealand

i think the aussies will win it again, . maybe even england to make the semi finals
    Career cricket
    311 wickets @16.54 and 3021 runs @ 34.56 from 176 games over 11 years H.S 178*
    Member of the CW Green
    Cricket Web Career:(end of season 11) FC: 7404 runs @ 30.85 H.S 253* : One Day: 7331 runs @ 48.55 H.S 155*
    Off season: FC 1209 @ 52.51 & One Day: 921 @ 92.10
    COD4: djs clan
    World Of Warcraft: just sensational

nz will REALLY have to get it together to get to the semis!
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Sure will Sunil but if there's one thing that can always be said about almost any NZ team; they're big game players.

When was the last time they FAILED to make the semis of a WC competition? 1987???? It just comes down to a great attitude towards the big games.

Tim
    Top Cat has certainly pointed out something valid here.

NZ always seem to flop against the lower nations but when they go into tournaments like the ICC Trophy, VB Series or World Cup they usually do quite a good job.

Alot will rest on the fitness of key players, but going by history NZ should at least make the Semi's.

Tim
    World Cup Predictions:

1. Pakistan
    2. South Africa
    3. Australia
    4. New Zealand
    5. England
    6. Sri Lanka
    7. India
    8. West Indies
    9. Zimbabwe
    10. Bangladesh & the rest

I think the chances of Sri Lanka winning the World Cup have decreased in the last month, because there doesn't seem to be life after Murali & Vaas.

I think South Africa will lift infront of home support & I doubt Australia will fall out of the top 4 at this stage, they might eventually with this new tactic. New Zealand will lift, but I don't think they have the killer punch to go all the way. England have certainly improved over the past couple of months, but like NZ I don't think they have the punch to go past my top 3.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I get the feeling this will be discussed a lot more in the near future
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Im surprised that nobody has picked India to go into the semis or quarters. Sure the conditions are bouncy and fast, but currently South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia, New Zealand are pretty much in bad ODI form. A lot can change in a few months no doubt about it but, i feel that India just recently winning in the West Indies and having great youngsters such as Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Virender Sehwag, Dinesh Mongia, Tinu Yohannan and Ajit Agarkar, along with Harbhajan, Kumble, Sachin, Sourav and Dravid, India have a strong chance of going for victory. India has a boosted morale with some nice ODI wins under their belt, but still i feel need to be more consistent. The NatWest series should be a ripper and a test for the Indians and also the ICC Champions Trophy coming in September.

Winner: Either Pakistan/New Zealand/India
    Runner Up: Australia
    Semis: Sri Lanka/South Africa/England
    Expect Nothing: West Indies, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Bangladesh, Holland, Namibia, Canada

These are my two cents. I know many people might disagree with me and I appreciate that.

Thanks

Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    hmm i would say india reach the semis but who knows just like senegal they might reach it through to finals, that is right, their lineup now is extremely good , agarkar can play allround, d.mongia and y.singh and kaif playing well, I think India really needs Nayan Mongia back. that would make their chances more better, hes a real good keeper plus can but well in Odis

I reckon india should send its bowlers and batsmen to S.Africa for some intensive training in the pitches there to get used to it..

As for Nz who knows , there are people like Hitchcock coming up and dont forget Cairns is coming back too and ther is Styris who looks in great form at the moment ,and hopefully Bond can find his way through
    Batting needs to get sorted out

Pakistan , clear favourties to win this cup they can beat Australia and South Africa playing great cricket at the moment. They have a perfectly balanced side, Bowling and Batting

Australia are the champions but look a bit rusty at times, loosing to Pakistan and Not doing well against New Zealand in the vb series

South Africa are favourites too, but they need to patch their team up to get somewhere same goes to England and Sri lanka
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

International Debutant
    The way I see it Australia deserve to be favorites they may have lost to pakistan but the team was in the middle of an off season and really looked rusty.
    As an Australian supporter I can tell you they can play 10-15 times better than that and at there best there deffinatly better than any other team.

Also my reason for saying I think australia will win is based alot on the fact they play the best in tough situations and In a tense world cup Final I would back them to have the mental strength to pull through.

Also there is no way NZ will win or tho I would not mind seeing them do well.

My prediction for top 6
    Australia
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    Sri Lanka
    India
    New Zealand

I think masterblaster is right. You should not underestimate a team like India. I agree that they are very much inconsistent but then also they are well capable of beating a good side like south africa, pakistan and even australia on their day.

They have not done badly in the past world cups either. So, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be making it to the semis.

My favorites for the cup will be -
    Australia, Pakistan, India and England.

This time also I don't think South Africa can do it.

Bye!!

[Edited on 6/20/02 by QuickFire]
    VISIT http://www.techenclave.com FOR DAILY DOSE OF TECHNOLOGY.
    VISIT http://www.sumitsoft.org FOR FREE GAMES AND UTILITIES.

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    It is too close to call. The big six of Australia, Pakistan, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka and England will be there but I can't pick a winner. I think NZ will miss out. I don't know why I just have a feeling.

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    West Indies - i feel that they are starting to find their way around now ? do u think they have a chance ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information