• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup predictions

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Here's mine:

Winners: South Africa
Runners-up: Australia
3rd: New Zealand (if they can get their stuff together)
4th: Pakistan
5th: Ski Lanka
6th: India
7th: Zimbabwe
8th: England
9th: West Indies

and the rest...

[Edited on 6/18/02 by MrPerko]

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa to win? That's a joke, right? Look at their recent record.........ESPECIALLY against Australia.

Now that Punter and the Aussie cricket 'brains trust' (and I use that term loosely) have decided that the best form of offense is a good defense, I don't see Australia making it past the semis. My winning order:

Winner: Pakistan
R/U: New Zealand (though both teams look REALLY good)

Semis teams: Pakistan, NZ, Australia, South Africa.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
The Aussies to win with South Africa second and New Zealand third.

[Edited on 6/18/02 by Eyes_Only]

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i think u will see the same teams in the semis as last time

australia, south africa, pakistan & new zealand

i think the aussies will win it again, . maybe even england to make the semi finals

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sure will Sunil but if there's one thing that can always be said about almost any NZ team; they're big game players.

When was the last time they FAILED to make the semis of a WC competition? 1987???? It just comes down to a great attitude towards the big games.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Top Cat has certainly pointed out something valid here.

NZ always seem to flop against the lower nations but when they go into tournaments like the ICC Trophy, VB Series or World Cup they usually do quite a good job.

Alot will rest on the fitness of key players, but going by history NZ should at least make the Semi's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
World Cup Predictions:

1. Pakistan
2. South Africa
3. Australia
4. New Zealand
5. England
6. Sri Lanka
7. India
8. West Indies
9. Zimbabwe
10. Bangladesh & the rest

I think the chances of Sri Lanka winning the World Cup have decreased in the last month, because there doesn't seem to be life after Murali & Vaas.

I think South Africa will lift infront of home support & I doubt Australia will fall out of the top 4 at this stage, they might eventually with this new tactic. New Zealand will lift, but I don't think they have the killer punch to go all the way. England have certainly improved over the past couple of months, but like NZ I don't think they have the punch to go past my top 3.

masterblaster

International Captain
Im surprised that nobody has picked India to go into the semis or quarters. Sure the conditions are bouncy and fast, but currently South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia, New Zealand are pretty much in bad ODI form. A lot can change in a few months no doubt about it but, i feel that India just recently winning in the West Indies and having great youngsters such as Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Virender Sehwag, Dinesh Mongia, Tinu Yohannan and Ajit Agarkar, along with Harbhajan, Kumble, Sachin, Sourav and Dravid, India have a strong chance of going for victory. India has a boosted morale with some nice ODI wins under their belt, but still i feel need to be more consistent. The NatWest series should be a ripper and a test for the Indians and also the ICC Champions Trophy coming in September.

Winner: Either Pakistan/New Zealand/India
Runner Up: Australia
Semis: Sri Lanka/South Africa/England
Expect Nothing: West Indies, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Bangladesh, Holland, Namibia, Canada

These are my two cents. I know many people might disagree with me and I appreciate that.

Thanks

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
hmm i would say india reach the semis but who knows just like senegal they might reach it through to finals, that is right, their lineup now is extremely good , agarkar can play allround, d.mongia and y.singh and kaif playing well, I think India really needs Nayan Mongia back. that would make their chances more better, hes a real good keeper plus can but well in Odis

I reckon india should send its bowlers and batsmen to S.Africa for some intensive training in the pitches there to get used to it..

As for Nz who knows , there are people like Hitchcock coming up and dont forget Cairns is coming back too and ther is Styris who looks in great form at the moment ,and hopefully Bond can find his way through
Batting needs to get sorted out

Pakistan , clear favourties to win this cup they can beat Australia and South Africa playing great cricket at the moment. They have a perfectly balanced side, Bowling and Batting

Australia are the champions but look a bit rusty at times, loosing to Pakistan and Not doing well against New Zealand in the vb series

South Africa are favourites too, but they need to patch their team up to get somewhere same goes to England and Sri lanka

Eclipse

International Debutant
The way I see it Australia deserve to be favorites they may have lost to pakistan but the team was in the middle of an off season and really looked rusty.
As an Australian supporter I can tell you they can play 10-15 times better than that and at there best there deffinatly better than any other team.

Also my reason for saying I think australia will win is based alot on the fact they play the best in tough situations and In a tense world cup Final I would back them to have the mental strength to pull through.

Also there is no way NZ will win or tho I would not mind seeing them do well.

My prediction for top 6
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
India
New Zealand

QuickFire

U19 12th Man
I think masterblaster is right. You should not underestimate a team like India. I agree that they are very much inconsistent but then also they are well capable of beating a good side like south africa, pakistan and even australia on their day.

They have not done badly in the past world cups either. So, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be making it to the semis. :D

My favorites for the cup will be -
Australia, Pakistan, India and England.

This time also I don't think South Africa can do it.

Bye!!

[Edited on 6/20/02 by QuickFire]

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It is too close to call. The big six of Australia, Pakistan, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka and England will be there but I can't pick a winner. I think NZ will miss out. I don't know why I just have a feeling.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the West Indies would be a good bet, but its whether they can play in South Africa like they can at home, The West Indies have one of the worst away records in cricket at the moment, but still they are definately heading in the right direction & winning the ICC Trophy would be a good step for them.

As for India, yeah on their day they're good. But their bowling attack is slower than NZ's was 4 or 5 years ago & thats bad news. If their bowlers don't get it right, their batsmen will be put under pressure & they'll probably flop.

The key for Sri Lanka is whether there is life after Murali, Vaas & Jayasuriya in relation to ODI's. Generally if Murali gets picked off, then the likelihood of Sri Lanka winning becomes very faint.

England seem to have good batting from 1-4, but its their middle order & bowling depth which could cause them trouble.

New Zealand collectively as a team will be able to make the semi's, but to reach the final & even win it will probably require an Astle or Cairns special.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
England seem to have good batting from 1-4, but its their middle order & bowling depth which could cause them trouble.
Bowling depth - did you not see what our 3rd, 4th and 5th choice pace bowlers did to the Sri Lankans?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but now you have gone & picked Ronnie Irani, Jeremy Snape & Paul Collingwood.

we're talking about ODI's, not tests and I think Sri Lanka are stronger in ODI's than tests anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Irani has been in superb form with the ball.

Snape won't play because Giles is there.

Collingwood will play as a batsman who can bowl a few overs as 6th or 7th bowler.

I don't think England will win the World Cup, but I don't think we'll be as bad as we've been in the last 2.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
1 Australia
2 Pakistan
3 South Africa
4 England
5 Sri Lanka
6 West Indies
7 India
8 New Zealand
9 Zimbabwe
10 Kenya