• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

D(r)aft idea?

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Apologies from a relative newcomer if this has been done before (I couldn't see it with a quick search), or rejected for being a terrible idea before, or is just a terrible idea...

- Pick the best team of Test cricketers you can, with the restriction that they must have played less than 100 Tests in total.

Alternatively:

- Pick the worst team of Test cricketers you can, with the restriction that they must have played at least 200 Tests in total.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
First one sounds better - having an average of just 9 tests per player would make things tricky indeed. Would probably have to be limited to only a handful of drafters though.

AndrewB

Apologies from a relative newcomer if this has been done before (I couldn't see it with a quick search), or rejected for being a terrible idea before, or is just a terrible idea...

- Pick the best team of Test cricketers you can, with the restriction that they must have played less than 100 Tests in total.

Alternatively:

- Pick the worst team of Test cricketers you can, with the restriction that they must have played at least 200 Tests in total.
A possible improvement to the second suggestion (or maybe it just makes it complicated) - only count Tests in which their team won (or maybe ones in which their team didn't lose) - so it's not just a case of picking "X who played for Y for a few years despite being pretty hopeless because all their players were pretty hopeless then".

watson

Banned
I like the first idea with a budget of 100 Tests, except that it should be 200 Tests.

Last edited:

AndrewB

On reflection, I think I agree with the comments that "up to 200 Tests" would probably be better for a Draft thread - "up to 100 Tests" would be OK if you were just picking one team to fit it (or if only 3 or 4 people were taking part).

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
If this thread ends up turning into a draft I'll join in.

Also agree with the 200 Test rule.

AndrewB

There seems to be enough support for this to be a draft - would now be a good time to start it, or would it clash with the reverse "debuts/retirements" draft that I think was proposed?

Also, before I launch a draft, is there more to it than announcing the draft rules and giving the order of selection for each round?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There seems to be enough support for this to be a draft - would now be a good time to start it, or would it clash with the reverse "debuts/retirements" draft that I think was proposed?

Also, before I launch a draft, is there more to it than announcing the draft rules and giving the order of selection for each round?
Just go for it mate

watson

Banned
IMO If we are going to keep the cut-off at 200 Tests then the max number of particpants should be no more than 8-9.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't worry about the reverse debuts/retirements draft Andrew mate. I'll just launch it sometime after this draft.

I have a question though. Are we allowed to select players who played zero Tests?