• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another chance for Afridi, what PCB selector's are trying to prove?

He can't properly bat, he can't bowl either, he has been a failure all his life, why the hell are PCB selectors bringing him back for such an important Indo_pak series?

I am not degrading him because Afridi is a Pak cricketer, the fact is that he's just useless, he recently toured India and was captain of Pak A team and he was horrible with both bat and bowl.Now if he can;t perform against Indian junior players, then how the hell is he going to perform against one of the best team in the world?????

deeps

International 12th Man
a test batting average of 32.50, coupled with a bowling average of 31.47 with an econmy of 2.97 is hardly a failure! quiet respectable acutally!

have a look at shaun pollock...some ppl consider him one of the best all-rounders in the world... batting average of 34.55, bowling average of 21.14 and economy of 2.30

afridi's strike rate: 63.3
Pollocks: 55.1

so the only real difference worth mentioning is that afridi conceedes 10 more runs per wicket! compared to some1 that is considered brilliant, that is quiet a respectable record!

so i think that it's proven that he HAS NOT been a failure all his life....and many ppl seem to forget,that he is only 23 years of age, and has managed to play 14 tests and 176 ODI matches....a GREAT achievement... How many 23 year olds out there have acheived thiS?

I agree,his one day record isn't great, but he has the potential to turn a game on it's head... He can win a match single handedly...with a bat in his hand,or a ball... He has passion, spirit and all other things a team needs

With a bit more application, he'll b unstoppable

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
deeps said:
a test batting average of 32.50, coupled with a bowling average of 31.47 with an econmy of 2.97 is hardly a failure! quiet respectable acutally!

have a look at shaun pollock...some ppl consider him one of the best all-rounders in the world... batting average of 34.55, bowling average of 21.14 and economy of 2.30

so the only real difference worth mentioning is that afridi conceedes 10 more runs per wicket! compared to some1 that is considered brilliant, that is quiet a respectable record!

so i think that it's proven that he HAS NOT been a failure all his life....and many ppl seem to forget,that he is only 23 years of age, and has managed to play 14 tests and 176 ODI matches....a GREAT achievement... How many 23 year olds out there have acheived thiS?

I agree,his one day record isn't great, but he has the potential to turn a game on it's head... He can win a match single handedly...with a bat in his hand,or a ball... He has passion, spirit and all other things a team needs

see thats the problem, the dude has no application or control...he just wants to hit every ball out of the park and thats why he will never succeed at test match level against quality bowling attacks and particularly on dodgy pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:

The very point is he's had less application recently (last couple of years) than he used to.
He was never the most consistent player in The World, but recently he's just been woeful and nothing else.
I have always believed he is very talented and surely he can do better than he gives himself credit for.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
deeps said:

oh this is funny stuff....u funny man...yeah u funny..i mean who would have thought pollock and afridi....come on get out really...good stuff.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
He can't properly bat, he can't bowl either, he has been a failure all his life, why the hell are PCB selectors bringing him back for such an important Indo_pak series?

I am not degrading him because Afridi is a Pak cricketer, the fact is that he's just useless, he recently toured India and was captain of Pak A team and he was horrible with both bat and bowl.Now if he can;t perform against Indian junior players, then how the hell is he going to perform against one of the best team in the world?????
I think this is a load of bull!!
He can be an extremely useful player as he has so much talent and strength, If you will remember

http://live.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/PAK_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/PAK_IND_T1_28JAN-01FEB1999.html

Choora

State Regular
Afridi is still young though, not more then 25-26. But he never took cricket seriously, and as such people stop taking him seriously.

Having said that his record against India is good, a century as an opening batsmen in a test match is always good. However this time Afridi will be facing much better bowling attack in the form of Balaji,Khan,Pathan and Ajit.I don't thinbk he will do much this time.

yohanna

Banned
Well on what basis have the selectors brought the greatest allrounder back? His performance against India A was poor, at domestic level he has done nothing of note, even in county match he fared poorly.

Great injustice was done to Bazid Khan who averaged 80 in domestic matches yet was dropped from the squad for the Indian series.If the selectors were looking for an allrounder then i believe there are numerous others, Afridi should have been overlooked.

Anyway hopefully this will be Afridi's last chnce, if he fares poorly, he should be thrown out forever.

deeps

International 12th Man
maxpower said:
oh this is funny stuff....u funny man...yeah u funny..i mean who would have thought pollock and afridi....come on get out really...good stuff.
lol, i just randomly picked a good all-rounder and checked...and i was amazed at how similar they were! the stats speak for themselves

deeps

International 12th Man
yohanna said:
Anyway hopefully this will be Afridi's last chnce, if he fares poorly, he should be thrown out forever.
ppl tend to forget he is 23 years old! and oozes talent...u CANNOT throw out soo much potential out fOrever...yes,maybe make him play domestic leagues for another year or two...but NEVER rule him out........

That clown is atleast 35 yeas old, and i'm fed up of listening Pak fans saying that their loved one is sooooooooo talented.

ACTION SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. If Afridi is so talented then what happens to him on cricket ground???

He once did score a century against India, i give credit to him , just like a give credit to Saqlain for scooring 100 against Eng and Pat Sympcox fo scoring centuy over Pak.But once in a blue moon innings doesn't make you a bradman man, or does it?

In Mumbai if you want to turn somone turn blue in a cricket match, you just have to say one goldern word, just call him Shahid Afridi.That is enough to put ur life in danger over here.

Will some Pakistani fan tell me a bit about Afridi's backgound? is he a general's son or that of a prominent politicians? I thinkjust like that Juniad Zia, Afidi is another example of shameful nepotism.
I mean how can a club level cicketer play cricket at the highest level fo so long?

deeps

International 12th Man
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
That clown is atleast 35 yeas old, and i'm fed up of listening Pak fans saying that their loved one is sooooooooo talented.

In Mumbai if you want to turn somone turn blue in a cricket match, you just have to say one goldern word, just call him Shahid Afridi.That is enough to put ur life in danger over here.
yes, 35 years old... Where did u get that froM? STop making stupid comments that are baseless and truthless... If afridi is so bad, how come his statistics are almost as good as shaun pollocks? eXPLAIN THAT! don't just put words together in an attempt to make a sentence, that doesn't actually make sense in the end. Ok, if ur going around saying afridi can't bat properly,bowl properly etc.. Fine, i will say that Sachin Tendulkar can't bat, can't bowl and is a pathetic cricketer... WHY? coz I said so! that's the attitude ur taking in.

And btw, i think you'll find that i am an australian fan, who has an indian background... So don't go around calling me a pakistani fan. But at least i'm not blinded by own stupidity into thinking that any1 that plays for the opposite team can't bat or bowl... I give credit where it's due, and afridi is not as bad as u make him sound like.. In fact he's a much better player than u think...

and mister ajaagarkarajaaja...down here in australia, when a batsman constantly plays and misses, or gets out for a duck...what do we call him? "AJIT AGARKAR"...

I remember a match some time ago, where pakistan needed around 12 an over to win the match..with about 9 or 10 overs remaining... At the end of the match, the captain admitted he never felt secure until shahid afridi was removed

How many players instill that much fear in the opposition captain?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Afridi only has one plan off attack and that is to ATTACK!!

One of his bigest problems has been that his deffense is rubbish and in some cases attack is the only way he knows how to score runs.

He has some allmighty talent but the compleatly wrong mindset for a cricketer.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Will some Pakistani fan tell me a bit about Afridi's backgound? is he a general's son or that of a prominent politicians? I thinkjust like that Juniad Zia, Afidi is another example of shameful nepotism.
I mean how can a club level cicketer play cricket at the highest level fo so long?
How can a club level cricketer score a centiury opening in a Test Match?