Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SA test schedule

  1. #1
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,040

    SA test schedule

    Can anybody explain to me why the SA cricket schedule is so bad? Is this purely because of cricket SA not getting there ducks in a row or is everybody else's schedule full?

    We are playing a tri-series ODI tournament against Aus and WI in June. Then 2 tests against NZ in Aug. Followed by a 5 match ODI series in SA against Aus in Sept/Oct and then have no cricket until the tests against Sri Lanka in mid December. ESPN Cricinfo | South Africa | / Fixtures
    Why not 3 tests against NZ? Why are we playing 2 ODI series against Aus this year and could fit no Tests following the second series? (We are totally free mid Oct through Nov I can't find if Aus has anything scheduled during this time?

    I understand that ODI`s bring in more revenue it just seems so arbitrary sometimes. I know as a SA supporter I really want to see SA play more test cricket. Is this a thing of the Big 3 wanting to play each other instead? Does anybody know how this scheduling works (I understand it is organized by the countries cricket bodies and not the ICC). Is there any possibility of improving this season for SA or is this pretty set in stone.
    indiaholic, Stefan9 and straw man like this.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

    "I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

  2. #2
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,361
    Its very very frustrating as an SA test fan...

  3. #3
    International Coach SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    10,176
    Definitely could have played New Zealand in 3 tests. They are competitive test side now and would have made for a good series.

    I must say, ODI tri-series are a thing of the past but seeing that it is at that time of year & we there why not play the Windies in tests? Only really West Indies & England play at that time. Not sure if Sri Lanka do again ?

    No doubt we should be playing more tests. 2015 was a joke of a year. We could hardly build any momentum into the India series.

    They certainly tried to fit in little series' this season like v New Zealand and Australia to try make money after the India losses.

    But going forward there should be no real issues in playing more tests. Not sure what is the reason.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    18,189
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    Can anybody explain to me why the SA cricket schedule is so bad? Is this purely because of cricket SA not getting there ducks in a row or is everybody else's schedule full?

    We are playing a tri-series ODI tournament against Aus and WI in June. Then 2 tests against NZ in Aug. Followed by a 5 match ODI series in SA against Aus in Sept/Oct and then have no cricket until the tests against Sri Lanka in mid December. ESPN Cricinfo | South Africa | / Fixtures
    Why not 3 tests against NZ? Why are we playing 2 ODI series against Aus this year and could fit no Tests following the second series? (We are totally free mid Oct through Nov I can't find if Aus has anything scheduled during this time?

    I understand that ODI`s bring in more revenue it just seems so arbitrary sometimes. I know as a SA supporter I really want to see SA play more test cricket. Is this a thing of the Big 3 wanting to play each other instead? Does anybody know how this scheduling works (I understand it is organized by the countries cricket bodies and not the ICC). Is there any possibility of improving this season for SA or is this pretty set in stone.
    Things are always up in the air in the current scheduling format though. If you look at Cricinfo 2016 tours, there are very few tests scheduled for anyone as of now.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    9,290
    I can totally understand the sentiments here. Even I would like to see SA play far more tests than they do. Even in 2014, they just played 8 test matches. Just not enough for a side that at that point was so good.

    Even now, SA have some of the best test players in the world and we don't get to see them as much.

    The problem is a combination of a lot of factors. Scheduling is not easy as each countries have their own home seasons, which are often clashing, so someone will always miss out.

    The second problem that decent test sides without the financial clout like New Zealand, Pakistan and South Africa face when playing each other is the lack of sponsorship interest. I don't think it is that lucrative for SA and NZ to play test matches against each other, so whatever we get, is sort of a bonus and the boards have to struggle to get these games.

    So when you add this problem to the first problem, where scheduling is already clashing, you are left with the current scenario.

    For example, June-Aug is England's home summer and they are already booked this year.

    June-July is Sri Lanka's home summer too but they are booked away in England.

    South Africa, New Zealand and Australia are free but they can't really play each other in June-July as it's not their home season.

    You are left with India who I believe are playing West Indies?

    So sometimes you are left with the current mess. You are left with Bangladesh but no one wants to play Bangladesh
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

  6. #6
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I can totally understand the sentiments here. Even I would like to see SA play far more tests than they do. Even in 2014, they just played 8 test matches. Just not enough for a side that at that point was so good.

    Even now, SA have some of the best test players in the world and we don't get to see them as much.

    The problem is a combination of a lot of factors. Scheduling is not easy as each countries have their own home seasons, which are often clashing, so someone will always miss out.

    The second problem that decent test sides without the financial clout like New Zealand, Pakistan and South Africa face when playing each other is the lack of sponsorship interest. I don't think it is that lucrative for SA and NZ to play test matches against each other, so whatever we get, is sort of a bonus and the boards have to struggle to get these games.

    So when you add this problem to the first problem, where scheduling is already clashing, you are left with the current scenario.

    For example, June-Aug is England's home summer and they are already booked this year.

    June-July is Sri Lanka's home summer too but they are booked away in England.

    South Africa, New Zealand and Australia are free but they can't really play each other in June-July as it's not their home season.

    You are left with India who I believe are playing West Indies?

    So sometimes you are left with the current mess. You are left with Bangladesh but no one wants to play Bangladesh
    This is why we definitely need an international season, I am sure that everybody could be accommodated, unless the boards are real bastards ...
    Secondly, while I know it costs money to schedule games etc. It must be better to play somebody (even Bangladesh ) than nobody at all... If nothing else it keeps the game relevant while competing with so much other international sport in SA.

  7. #7
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,361
    I rather have us playing bangladesh or zim then playing no test cricket at all for months on end.

  8. #8
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11,845
    The TV rights deals make the tours very hard to finance. Cricket organised the way it is, literally all that matters to the Big 3 is money for their boards.

  9. #9
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,040
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    The TV rights deals make the tours very hard to finance. Cricket organised the way it is, literally all that matters to the Big 3 is money for their boards.
    While I understand this, the irony is that for SANZAR which is the rugby body between SA, NZ and Aus (now including Arg and Japan) it is SA that has the clout... Thus there must be enough S Africans that are sport watches to get the money through TV rights. For the rugby we show school boy, university, provincial and international rugby of all sorts. This has kinda started for cricket but not to the same level.
    I find it very difficult to believe that there is not enough interest in cricket in SA to not get some sort of TV coverage going. Yes, Eng, Aus and India have huge support for the game, but what SA cricket must do is grow support inside the country and you will not do that if your top players are not playing. Stop thinking short term and go for the longer term goals... Also SA, outside the big 3, must have the most interest for Eng, Aus and India to be playing. All 3 can not be playing each other only.

    Maybe I am being a bit naive but I do think that a big trick is being missed in SA regarding the cricket coverage and the potential to grow the sport.

  10. #10
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11,845
    Yeah I can't speak to SA internally, and you could well be very right there. Would probably point out that an 80 minute rugby match is a very different proposition to a 5 day Test match though.

  11. #11
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I can totally understand the sentiments here. Even I would like to see SA play far more tests than they do. Even in 2014, they just played 8 test matches. Just not enough for a side that at that point was so good.

    Even now, SA have some of the best test players in the world and we don't get to see them as much.

    The problem is a combination of a lot of factors. Scheduling is not easy as each countries have their own home seasons, which are often clashing, so someone will always miss out.

    The second problem that decent test sides without the financial clout like New Zealand, Pakistan and South Africa face when playing each other is the lack of sponsorship interest. I don't think it is that lucrative for SA and NZ to play test matches against each other, so whatever we get, is sort of a bonus and the boards have to struggle to get these games.

    So when you add this problem to the first problem, where scheduling is already clashing, you are left with the current scenario.

    For example, June-Aug is England's home summer and they are already booked this year.

    June-July is Sri Lanka's home summer too but they are booked away in England.

    South Africa, New Zealand and Australia are free but they can't really play each other in June-July as it's not their home season.

    You are left with India who I believe are playing West Indies?

    So sometimes you are left with the current mess. You are left with Bangladesh but no one wants to play Bangladesh
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    While I understand this, the irony is that for SANZAR which is the rugby body between SA, NZ and Aus (now including Arg and Japan) it is SA that has the clout... Thus there must be enough S Africans that are sport watches to get the money through TV rights. For the rugby we show school boy, university, provincial and international rugby of all sorts. This has kinda started for cricket but not to the same level.
    I find it very difficult to believe that there is not enough interest in cricket in SA to not get some sort of TV coverage going. Yes, Eng, Aus and India have huge support for the game, but what SA cricket must do is grow support inside the country and you will not do that if your top players are not playing. Stop thinking short term and go for the longer term goals... Also SA, outside the big 3, must have the most interest for Eng, Aus and India to be playing. All 3 can not be playing each other only.

    Maybe I am being a bit naive but I do think that a big trick is being missed in SA regarding the cricket coverage and the potential to grow the sport.
    Yeah I really don't understand how South Africa don't have more clout on the international cricket stage, they have the 4th largest population (after England+Wales, Pakistan and India), whilst also having the 4th strongest economy PPP per capita after New Zealand (NZ's problem is lack of population), England and Australia. And all the while perhaps the biggest boom in cricket economically has be happening SA have been No.1 in test sides and up there in the other formats. So is it simply crap promotion as to why the SA cricket board is struggling for money and clout at the big table or is it something else? Also will the ram slam not help massively with the money in the sport in the country?

  12. #12
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,358
    Cricket in South Africa was massively knocked by the Hansie scandal. Many prior supporters still do not go to games because of it.

  13. #13
    International Captain jimmy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,897
    ^ Really?

  14. #14
    State Captain Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    Cricket in South Africa was massively knocked by the Hansie scandal. Many prior supporters still do not go to games because of it.
    I don't know about that dude.

    I don't know anyone in SA who swore cricket off because of Hansie.

    Obviously a lot of disappointed people but I really don't think there was a massive exodus of fans from the game.

  15. #15
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    Cricket in South Africa was massively knocked by the Hansie scandal. Many prior supporters still do not go to games because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I don't know about that dude.

    I don't know anyone in SA who swore cricket off because of Hansie.

    Obviously a lot of disappointed people but I really don't think there was a massive exodus of fans from the game.
    Plus weren't that almost 15 years ago now?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Schedule
    By Prince EWS in forum Cricket Web Forumer World Cup
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 22-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •