• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA test schedule

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Can anybody explain to me why the SA cricket schedule is so bad? Is this purely because of cricket SA not getting there ducks in a row or is everybody else's schedule full?

We are playing a tri-series ODI tournament against Aus and WI in June. Then 2 tests against NZ in Aug. Followed by a 5 match ODI series in SA against Aus in Sept/Oct and then have no cricket until the tests against Sri Lanka in mid December. ESPN Cricinfo | South Africa | / Fixtures
Why not 3 tests against NZ? Why are we playing 2 ODI series against Aus this year and could fit no Tests following the second series? (We are totally free mid Oct through Nov I can't find if Aus has anything scheduled during this time?

I understand that ODI`s bring in more revenue it just seems so arbitrary sometimes. I know as a SA supporter I really want to see SA play more test cricket. Is this a thing of the Big 3 wanting to play each other instead? Does anybody know how this scheduling works (I understand it is organized by the countries cricket bodies and not the ICC). Is there any possibility of improving this season for SA or is this pretty set in stone.

SeamUp

International Coach
Definitely could have played New Zealand in 3 tests. They are competitive test side now and would have made for a good series.

I must say, ODI tri-series are a thing of the past but seeing that it is at that time of year & we there why not play the Windies in tests? Only really West Indies & England play at that time. Not sure if Sri Lanka do again ?

No doubt we should be playing more tests. 2015 was a joke of a year. We could hardly build any momentum into the India series.

They certainly tried to fit in little series' this season like v New Zealand and Australia to try make money after the India losses.

But going forward there should be no real issues in playing more tests. Not sure what is the reason.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anybody explain to me why the SA cricket schedule is so bad? Is this purely because of cricket SA not getting there ducks in a row or is everybody else's schedule full?

We are playing a tri-series ODI tournament against Aus and WI in June. Then 2 tests against NZ in Aug. Followed by a 5 match ODI series in SA against Aus in Sept/Oct and then have no cricket until the tests against Sri Lanka in mid December. ESPN Cricinfo | South Africa | / Fixtures
Why not 3 tests against NZ? Why are we playing 2 ODI series against Aus this year and could fit no Tests following the second series? (We are totally free mid Oct through Nov I can't find if Aus has anything scheduled during this time?

I understand that ODI`s bring in more revenue it just seems so arbitrary sometimes. I know as a SA supporter I really want to see SA play more test cricket. Is this a thing of the Big 3 wanting to play each other instead? Does anybody know how this scheduling works (I understand it is organized by the countries cricket bodies and not the ICC). Is there any possibility of improving this season for SA or is this pretty set in stone.
Things are always up in the air in the current scheduling format though. If you look at Cricinfo 2016 tours, there are very few tests scheduled for anyone as of now.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I can totally understand the sentiments here. Even I would like to see SA play far more tests than they do. Even in 2014, they just played 8 test matches. Just not enough for a side that at that point was so good.

Even now, SA have some of the best test players in the world and we don't get to see them as much.

The problem is a combination of a lot of factors. Scheduling is not easy as each countries have their own home seasons, which are often clashing, so someone will always miss out.

The second problem that decent test sides without the financial clout like New Zealand, Pakistan and South Africa face when playing each other is the lack of sponsorship interest. I don't think it is that lucrative for SA and NZ to play test matches against each other, so whatever we get, is sort of a bonus and the boards have to struggle to get these games.

So when you add this problem to the first problem, where scheduling is already clashing, you are left with the current scenario.

For example, June-Aug is England's home summer and they are already booked this year.

June-July is Sri Lanka's home summer too but they are booked away in England.

South Africa, New Zealand and Australia are free but they can't really play each other in June-July as it's not their home season.

You are left with India who I believe are playing West Indies?

So sometimes you are left with the current mess. You are left with Bangladesh but no one wants to play Bangladesh

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I can totally understand the sentiments here. Even I would like to see SA play far more tests than they do. Even in 2014, they just played 8 test matches. Just not enough for a side that at that point was so good.

Even now, SA have some of the best test players in the world and we don't get to see them as much.

The problem is a combination of a lot of factors. Scheduling is not easy as each countries have their own home seasons, which are often clashing, so someone will always miss out.

The second problem that decent test sides without the financial clout like New Zealand, Pakistan and South Africa face when playing each other is the lack of sponsorship interest. I don't think it is that lucrative for SA and NZ to play test matches against each other, so whatever we get, is sort of a bonus and the boards have to struggle to get these games.

So when you add this problem to the first problem, where scheduling is already clashing, you are left with the current scenario.

For example, June-Aug is England's home summer and they are already booked this year.

South Africa, New Zealand and Australia are free but they can't really play each other in June-July as it's not their home season.

So sometimes you are left with the current mess. You are left with Bangladesh but no one wants to play Bangladesh
This is why we definitely need an international season, I am sure that everybody could be accommodated, unless the boards are real bastards ...
Secondly, while I know it costs money to schedule games etc. It must be better to play somebody (even Bangladesh :) ) than nobody at all... If nothing else it keeps the game relevant while competing with so much other international sport in SA.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I rather have us playing bangladesh or zim then playing no test cricket at all for months on end.

91Jmay

International Coach
The TV rights deals make the tours very hard to finance. Cricket organised the way it is, literally all that matters to the Big 3 is money for their boards.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The TV rights deals make the tours very hard to finance. Cricket organised the way it is, literally all that matters to the Big 3 is money for their boards.
While I understand this, the irony is that for SANZAR which is the rugby body between SA, NZ and Aus (now including Arg and Japan) it is SA that has the clout... Thus there must be enough S Africans that are sport watches to get the money through TV rights. For the rugby we show school boy, university, provincial and international rugby of all sorts. This has kinda started for cricket but not to the same level.
I find it very difficult to believe that there is not enough interest in cricket in SA to not get some sort of TV coverage going. Yes, Eng, Aus and India have huge support for the game, but what SA cricket must do is grow support inside the country and you will not do that if your top players are not playing. Stop thinking short term and go for the longer term goals... Also SA, outside the big 3, must have the most interest for Eng, Aus and India to be playing. All 3 can not be playing each other only.

Maybe I am being a bit naive but I do think that a big trick is being missed in SA regarding the cricket coverage and the potential to grow the sport.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah I can't speak to SA internally, and you could well be very right there. Would probably point out that an 80 minute rugby match is a very different proposition to a 5 day Test match though.

Groundking

International Debutant

While I understand this, the irony is that for SANZAR which is the rugby body between SA, NZ and Aus (now including Arg and Japan) it is SA that has the clout... Thus there must be enough S Africans that are sport watches to get the money through TV rights. For the rugby we show school boy, university, provincial and international rugby of all sorts. This has kinda started for cricket but not to the same level.
I find it very difficult to believe that there is not enough interest in cricket in SA to not get some sort of TV coverage going. Yes, Eng, Aus and India have huge support for the game, but what SA cricket must do is grow support inside the country and you will not do that if your top players are not playing. Stop thinking short term and go for the longer term goals... Also SA, outside the big 3, must have the most interest for Eng, Aus and India to be playing. All 3 can not be playing each other only.

Maybe I am being a bit naive but I do think that a big trick is being missed in SA regarding the cricket coverage and the potential to grow the sport.
Yeah I really don't understand how South Africa don't have more clout on the international cricket stage, they have the 4th largest population (after England+Wales, Pakistan and India), whilst also having the 4th strongest economy PPP per capita after New Zealand (NZ's problem is lack of population), England and Australia. And all the while perhaps the biggest boom in cricket economically has be happening SA have been No.1 in test sides and up there in the other formats. So is it simply crap promotion as to why the SA cricket board is struggling for money and clout at the big table or is it something else? Also will the ram slam not help massively with the money in the sport in the country?

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Cricket in South Africa was massively knocked by the Hansie scandal. Many prior supporters still do not go to games because of it.

Marius

International Debutant
Cricket in South Africa was massively knocked by the Hansie scandal. Many prior supporters still do not go to games because of it.
I don't know about that dude.

I don't know anyone in SA who swore cricket off because of Hansie.

Obviously a lot of disappointed people but I really don't think there was a massive exodus of fans from the game.

Groundking

International Debutant

Obviously a lot of disappointed people but I really don't think there was a massive exodus of fans from the game.
Plus weren't that almost 15 years ago now?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Its just the CSA being run by a bunch of morons with no vision.Virtual all international cricket played by the test playing nations is showing on super sport so obviously there is a market for it in South Africa

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
When was the last time they showed 4 day first class matches on supersport ?? I can't remember. There was a time when the games was still followed by people on dstv. So why did dstv stop televising it ?? The standard of play ?? I myself am only guessing.

Do you guys remember any specific reason why ??

What happened that dstv stop televising those matches ??

They still show 50 over and t20 games but why not 4 days games ??

Stefan9

International Debutant
When was the last time they showed 4 day first class matches on supersport ?? I can't remember. There was a time when the games was still followed by people on dstv. So why did dstv stop televising it ?? The standard of play ?? I myself am only guessing.

Do you guys remember any specific reason why ??

What happened that dstv stop televising those matches ??

They still show 50 over and t20 games but why not 4 days games ??
The ratings weren't high enough for ss. Was pretty pathetic super sport being the named sponsor but refusing to show even a single game.

91Jmay

International Coach
Uk County Cricket gets a couple of games per year maximum. Think that is a very consistent thing globally.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is why we definitely need an international season, I am sure that everybody could be accommodated, unless the boards are real bastards ...
Secondly, while I know it costs money to schedule games etc. It must be better to play somebody (even Bangladesh :) ) than nobody at all... If nothing else it keeps the game relevant while competing with so much other international sport in SA.
Agreed. South Africa could have played a longer series last July when they were in Bangladesh. Or since it was a short one, they could have played a few more games this July. Sri Lanka went to New Zealand two years in a row.

This is something that you guys are in a better position to answer. Rugby is more popular in New Zealand (And Australia too) and I would suspect it's the same case in South Africa.

How is cricket in terms of popularity in South Africa? I don't expect test cricket to compete with Rugby but is there a decent and sustainable market? And by popularity I mean crowd attendance, quality of broadcast (e.g you know cricket is popular in the subcontinent because almost every international game, including U19 games are telecast) The more popular the game, the better the quality.

Is there a lot of sponsorship interest? Do organisations feel that investing in cricket would be a good marketing and branding strategy for them?

These things are important ultimately in establishing financial clout.

Last edited: