• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA test schedule

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I`m going to start with what Steyn actually said...

Seems Steyn doesn't agree with AB & CO.
Well lets look at that statement:
South Africa may be reluctant to play the day-night test with the pink ball against Australia in Adelaide, but their premier fast bowler Dale Steyn has revealed he would relish the challenge. Australia and South Africa are scheduled to play a day-night test match starting 24 November but that might not happen due to concerns over the visibility of the pink ball under lights.

Despite his team and cricket board's reluctance to play a day-night test match, Steyn is keen to experience it for himself. "I don't want to go through my whole career without playing a day-night game. How cool are they? I thought it looked awesome when New Zealand and Australia played one. It looked entertaining, there was a big crowd. The ball is pink — it's something different, you want to test your skills with that whole thing and it's very exciting", Steyn was quoted as saying by cricketaustralia.

The inaugural pink ball test match between Australia and New Zealand in 2015 was an enormous success, drawing record crowds and ratings, prompting Cricket Australia to schedule two pink ball test matches for the summer. While Pakistan have not made any objections to their day-night clash, South Africa are yet to comment on the matter.

"The difficult part of it comes in if it's one all and we go into a decider and we play a test match we've never really played before, we've never used a pink ball before. That could be a little bit of an issue for the guys, Australia having played one before and having played a few first-class games, would have the upper hand on us in that sense. We are not moaning about it, it would just not be a level playing field.".
From the underlined, poor journalism has implicitly implied that SA don't want D/N tests at all. Nowhere have AB and Co or the SA cricket board stated they do not want to play D/N tests. They are reluctant to play this single D/N in Aus with little or no preparation, in what could be a deciding game. Steyn is then quoted that he would love to play a D/N tests sometime in his career.(No contradiction here with other SA players/board) But is later then quoted as stating the exact complaint/worry that both the SA cricket board and SA players (which includes himself) are having a problem with...

So this entire article implies things that are not true, then quote Steyn`s as saying something that is not contradictory to anything coming from the SA camp... So where has he disagreed with AB and Co??

Second, the article by Brettig is myopic and illogical.
Firstly, it was not Aus that broke any boundaries in coming to play in SA in the early 90`s. India where the first to play international cricket, both inside and outside SA against SA. SA played a WC in Aus before Aus even came to SA. Yes political tensions where still high but Aus where not really breaking new ground but continuing on from where India had started... His reason for saying this is that he wants to show how forward thinking and risk taking Aus are, then contradicts himself by saying that all cricketers are conservative and even the Aus players are reluctant to play in the D/N tests "The Test teams of Australia and New Zealand, of course, did not consent to last year's inaugural day-night fixture until Cricket Australia had tipped in $1 million extra cash, paid in a 60/40 split that looked suspiciously like appearance money." The SA team is a more conservative team than the Aus team when playing cricket, this is true; but this has nothing to do with the current discussion or with the reluctance to play D/N test cricket match in what could be an important test. A test series that SA have won the last 2 of in Aus (then lost in SA :( ), by not playing conservative cricket all the time!!

But ultimately Brettig`s argument is that by playing this D/N test in Adelaide it will open up the game in SA (and possibly elsewhere)???? I call bull**** on that one... If SA board wants to start playing D/N Tests and use this to grow the game in SA, they need to ensure that the big grounds in SA (Wanderers, Newlands, Centurion) have the facilities (specifically the lights) and start by playing domestic franchise cricket at night. Maybe I will actually get a chance to go watch some of those matches... would love that. He quotes Rod Marsh as effectively saying how can cricket in SA be struggling when we are one of the top teams, SA needs to sort that out as we will not always be a top team. This is a much more deep rooted problem and will not be solved by playing a single D/N test in Aus, and he is being disingenuous to imply this. And from Rob Marsh`s statement the truth can be seen that it is easiest to grow a game when the national side is winning. Going to Aus and playing a game at a potential disadvantage does not help SA cricket win in anyway.

Brettig goes through a lot of different all over the place arguments; the good of the greater game, the good for SA cricket he even talks about the potential advantage SA will have with Morkel and Steyn swinging the pink ball at night but ultimately none of these arguments resolve the potential disadvantage to SA, the reluctance by many of the players (including Aus) to play in conditions that are not suitable yet, or stand-up to real scrutiny to solve some real problems in SA or world cricket... Who is going to really win from all this; the spectators in Adelaide (potentially if the game is good and not a 3 day blow-out) and the Australian cricket board coffers... this particular argument is about money nothing else at this stage.

I want D/N test cricket to become a thing as I think it will be great for the game but lets do it properly. And I would love to read a real article on D/N tests issues and problems and potential solutions that is not using illogical fallacies to try bully and pressurize players into playing in something they don`t necessarily want..