• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA test schedule

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
All this discussion just makes me even more irritated with CSA, as if all what is being said in this discussion is even partly true, there appears to be a definite market for cricket in SA; then why the heck is the CSA not doing something to tap into it... it appears to be a more self sustaining thing rather than actively developed!

SeamUp

International Coach
The thing that makes rugby huge is the provincial competitive rivalry amongst supporters... Also a lot of these people in everyone's face on social media re rugby only follow rugby for bragging right.

As far i am aware of 90%+ of the country couldnt care less if the cobras won the titans in a first class match other than hoping your favorite individual player took wickets or scored runs. I dont see a lot of people walking with domestic teams merchandise.
Somewhere along the line that got lost along the way.

Provincial cricket used to be huge and that competitiveness used to be there. Crowds were packed and the excitement off your seat stuff.

Currie Cup & Benson & Hedges Comp. Grew up watching that stuff.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I will never understand why one player of color was such a problem for the sa gov in 1970 and then the rebel tours of west indies was their own doing in trying to redress the balance.

Why could wi black people tour our country but our own blacks couldn't participate ? What was the thinking behind that ??
Don`t try to make sense of what was a non-sensible government policy (not just in cricket)....

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Somewhere along the line that got lost along the way.

Provincial cricket used to be huge and that competitiveness used to be there. Crowds were packed and the excitement off your seat stuff.

Currie Cup & Benson & Hedges Comp. Grew up watching that stuff.
International cricket came back

Marius

International Debutant
I know Barry Richards felt that SA government authorities pushed hard to get teams to come and play rebel rugby tours but didn't care as much about cricket ones.
Yeah, but the Springboks will still playing official Test rugby till about 1982/83. Cricket got kicked out way before that.

Marius

International Debutant
I will never understand why one player of color was such a problem for the sa gov in 1970 and then the rebel tours of west indies was their own doing in trying to redress the balance.

Why could wi black people tour our country but our own blacks couldn't participate ? What was the thinking behind that ??
Don't try make sense of apartheid.

Everything about it was stupid.

SeamUp

International Coach
International cricket came back
Probably had a lot to do with it.

But even when we just came back ...

Desmond Hayes bring along young bucks like Herschelle Gibbs, HD Ackermann & Jacques Kallis, G.Kirsten with favourites like McMillan, Simons, Matthews , Pringle Dawson, Adams in the team.

Natal had Malcolm Marshall & Jonty who brought through Pollock and Klusener and then there were still the likes of Crookes, Benkesntein, Stewart

Free State had no stars but you knew of Bradley Player's , Jonny Wilkinson's & Nicky Boje's when Cronje & Donald weren't around

EP had Dave Callaghan, Mark Rushemere, Phil Amm & everybody knew the struggles Callaghan went through. Tim Shaw all these guys.

Mike Rindel , Roy Pienaar & Rudi Bryson, Elworthy with N.Tvl

TVL were like Bacher, McKenzie, Eksteen, Jack, Snell etc

Not all of them were international stars but there was that provincial rivalry still.

This was till 1996 those sorts of teams.

People will rattle off the Rhodes and 7 off the final ball story.

Last edited:

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
I know its stupid but will the damage it did ever be repaired ??

The worst thing they could have done was to give all first class teams A status. Really diluted the standard of play.

There also the brain drain. How many left to go to other countries ??

91Jmay

International Coach
This is a global trend though. Exactly the same story in England/Australia about first class cricket.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Probably had a lot to do with it.

But even when we just came back ...

Desmond Hayes bring along young bucks like Herschelle Gibbs, HD Ackermann & Jacques Kallis, G.Kirsten with favourites like McMillan, Simons, Matthews , Pringle Dawson, Adams in the team.

Natal had Malcolm Marshall & Jonty who brought through Pollock and Klusener and then there were still the likes of Crookes, Benkesntein, Stewart

Free State had no stars but you knew of Bradley Player's , Jonny Wilkinson's & Nicky Boje's when Cronje & Donald weren't around

EP had Dave Callaghan, Mark Rushemere, Phil Amm & everybody knew the struggles Callaghan went through. Tim Shaw all these guys.

Mike Rindel , Roy Pienaar & Rudi Bryson, Elworthy with N.Tvl

TVL were like Bacher, McKenzie, Eksteen, Jack, Snell etc

Not all of them were international stars but there was that provincial rivalry still.

This was till 1996 those sorts of teams.

People will rattle off the Rhodes and 7 off the final ball story.
I wouldn't call franklin stephenson no star. Man was a magnificent limited overs bowler for freestate.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ok, I` confused... are we playing 3/4 test matches in Aus November? I will be so happy if we are. :)

Saw this report... SA 'unlikely' for day-night test in Aus - SuperSport - Cricket.

Looked on the future tours pdf: http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/DOWNLOAD/0000/0045/ftp_2015_2019.pdf and it looks like its marked down.

But nothing official on either: Live cricket | Current and future cricket series | ESPN Cricinfo or SA Team fixtures - SuperSport - Cricket

Does anybody know whats happening? Is it still being discussed?

Marius

International Debutant
Ok, I` confused... are we playing 3/4 test matches in Aus November? I will be so happy if we are. :)

Saw this report... SA 'unlikely' for day-night test in Aus - SuperSport - Cricket.

Looked on the future tours pdf: http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/DOWNLOAD/0000/0045/ftp_2015_2019.pdf and it looks like its marked down.

But nothing official on either: Live cricket | Current and future cricket series | ESPN Cricinfo or SA Team fixtures - SuperSport - Cricket

Does anybody know whats happening? Is it still being discussed?
SA is going to play three Test matches, starting in Perth, then Hobart, and last one in Adelaide, probably a day-night match.

WACA set to open Australian Test summer | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Marius

International Debutant
It's so stupid that Aus and SA don't play 4-match series.
They were supposed to apparently, but the Cricinfo article says Cricket Australia doesn'twant to schedule more than six home Test matches per summer. And if they also wanted to give the Pakistanis three Test matches, they can't give the South Africans four.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah they were originally meant to play 4 and when I read that article, I thought a test would be taken off the Pakistan series.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Sorry but this preparation excuse is a poor one. Lots of time from now till the tests start to prepare if they are willing to forgo some t20 franchise cricket....
I like day/night test matches so I hope it goes ahead.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I enjoyed the inaugural day nighter tbh. But got to consider players' point of view too. SA players talked with the players who have had some experience in the day nighters and apparently they are not happy as per the reports

Last edited: