• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian fielding

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Is it just me, or is Australian fielding very poor at the moment? I'm talking about the national team - the quality still seems to be there in the Big Bash. Apart from Smith, Warner and Maxwell much of the fielding is pretty mediocre, and they look to have fallen well behind NZ and South Africa and even India and England. Thoughts?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I guess I've seen so many excellent Australian fieldsmen over the years - Border, Mark Waugh, Taylor and Warne in the slips, Ponting, Symonds, Hussey, Clarke etc., along with rocket arms from the quicks and high overall standards I'm a bit surprised.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think we need to break fielding up some more. For ground fielding we are decent but catching we arent great at all.

Head and Lynn who both came into the squad are quality while Tait looks like a park cricketer if he goes the journey bowling

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yes. With someone like Khawaja in the team you're always going to be in trouble.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Is it just me, or is Australian fielding very poor at the moment? I'm talking about the national team - the quality still seems to be there in the Big Bash. Apart from Smith, Warner and Maxwell much of the fielding is pretty mediocre, and they look to have fallen well behind NZ and South Africa and even India and England. Thoughts?
Smith, Warner and Maxwell are all very good. It's unusual to have more than three very good fielders in one team. Maxwell being out might be the reason Khawaja missed out this time.

The best limited overs fielding combo I've seen was Ponting, Clarke, Symonds, Hogg and Hussey. All were exceptional. I can't really remember it but Viv, Lloyd, Logie and Harper (plus Greenidge in the slips and Garner in the gully) would've been amazing (assuming they all played together).

Fielding is so vital in limited overs. India's fielding is much better than it once was.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don't want to end up with egg on my face, but the NZ ODI fielding unit (Santner, Guptill, Williamson, Milne, BMac, Boult and co) might be the difference in what will hopefully be a very tight and exciting series. There are no clear weak fielders there, especially after McClenaghan's unfortunate and nasty injury.

Now they will drop a few catches and botch some key run outs.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah BBL fielding was really poor in parts. Rad Haddin mentioned it in his article, and cited the pressure of the large crowds which players weren't used to which seemed a fair reasoning.

91Jmay

International Coach
I can't really stand him at all as a bloke or a cricketer, but it is a fairly common nickname for him here. Is a piss take of Warne's terrible and oft repeated story about how Brad Haddin was nicknamed (likely only by Warne) 'Rockin Rod Stuart' as apparently he looks like him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't want to end up with egg on my face, but the NZ ODI fielding unit (Santner, Guptill, Williamson, Milne, BMac, Boult and co) might be the difference in what will hopefully be a very tight and exciting series. There are no clear weak fielders there, especially after McClenaghan's unfortunate and nasty injury..
Now I understand why this thread was made.