• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Asia Cup 2016

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC it is not permanently 20-20. Depends on what WC follows immediately after. The next one is going to be a 50 over tournament.

Yup here is a link for it Asia Cup to switch to T20 format every alternate edition - Cricbuzz
That's so stupid though. Say India wins this time. Are they the defending champions in the next edition even though they didn't win the 50 over format tournament?

Its silly. Should be 50 overs. We seriously have more than enough t20s without cramming another tournament in there.

cnerd123

likes this
That's so stupid though. Say India wins this time. Are they the defending champions in the next edition even though they didn't win the 50 over format tournament?

Its silly. Should be 50 overs. We seriously have more than enough t20s without cramming another tournament in there.
100% disagree.

The Asia Cup basically preps all the Asian teams for the nearest World Cup. It's an extended warmup session which is also extremely marketable. It's fascinating to watch too given it's so close to the world cup that every team will be basically playing the strongest combinations they can while still giving everyone game time, and trying out strategies they intend to use in the world cup.

I love it. I think it's a great idea.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah... context is more important than some literary meaning IMO.. This means the competition will have far more context and that is only a good thing.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Wasn't the first original Asia Cup a Test Championship?

They should bring that back if anything.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure why Hong Kong and Afghanistan will be playing qualifying round and not BD when both are above BD in rankings.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
100% disagree.

The Asia Cup basically preps all the Asian teams for the nearest World Cup. It's an extended warmup session which is also extremely marketable. It's fascinating to watch too given it's so close to the world cup that every team will be basically playing the strongest combinations they can while still giving everyone game time, and trying out strategies they intend to use in the world cup.

Couldn't disagree with your disagreement more. Reducing the Asia cup to literally a practice run for the WC instead of keeping it as its own thing like the CT is a terrible idea. Apart from the WC, only the CT and Asia cup feel a bit important. Diluting it to "WC practice" (which is what pretty much all ODI bilaterals/triangulars are looked at as anyway) removes all context from the tournament and instead of adding any.

cnerd123

likes this
Couldn't disagree with your disagreement more. Reducing the Asia cup to literally a practice run for the WC instead of keeping it as its own thing like the CT is a terrible idea. Apart from the WC, only the CT and Asia cup feel a bit important. Diluting it to "WC practice" (which is what pretty much all ODI bilaterals/triangulars are looked at as anyway) removes all context from the tournament and instead of adding any.
A WC practice tourney featuring multiple sides and held right before a World Cup sounds awesome to me tbh.

The Asia Cup doesn't hold that level of sentimental value or importance to me. I actually prefer it now that it has some greater context outside of a (usually) one sided battle to see the who the best side in Asia is. India half assed it that year when BD made the final; it wasn't great watching.

An ODI series now with the WC looming would just see a lot of half assed cricket and experiments being done. Who wants to watch that?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Afghanistan is in trouble vs UAE. Thought Afghanistan vs HK would be the shoot out for qualifying but not anymore if UAE pulls this one

Howe_zat

Audio File
UAE jut beat Afghanistan, who just beat Zimababwe, who beat Pakistan in their last Test match. Pakistan beat Australia in the UAE so it's pretty clear that UAE > Australia right now

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Two pretty big upsets to start the qualifiers, then, with Oman beating HK as well.

It's impressive in its own way to lose a T20 game in which one of your batsmen scores a 50 ball hundred in a 180 chase.

Shady Slim

International Coach
so thoughts on this mankad?

i thought it was completely justified since chapman was backing up more than a b double when it comes to a four metres or less clearance tunnel but i'm interested to hear you guys

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
wait wtf, why are the qualifying matches T20s?

Edit: just read, Asia Cup just following the format of whatever the nearest WC is may be the dumbest thing ever.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
100% disagree.

The Asia Cup basically preps all the Asian teams for the nearest World Cup.
It's an extended warmup session which is also extremely marketable. It's fascinating to watch too given it's so close to the world cup that every team will be basically playing the strongest combinations they can while still giving everyone game time, and trying out strategies they intend to use in the world cup.

Well that's not true at all. The 2012 Asia Cup had nothing to do with the 2015 WC.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So the Asia Cup means basically nothing now. Don't really see it as too different from India playing SL in 3 T20s a week or so ago, or that Australia / India / England tri-series in Australia before the 2015 ODI WC

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is upto you the way you wanna look at it. You can think that we will have an ODI Asia Cup every 4 years and a T20 Asia Cup every 4 years.. Or you can look at them as the nearest WC warm ups.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Afghanistan are being exposed. It's hard to say who are the best T20 teams right now. Asia Cup will show who is the best one from Asia (most likely India). In regards to Bangladesh, the good thing is that these games of Asia Cup will make their qualifying games all the more easier hence progress to the main round. I saw how England played against South Africa last night, and I say good luck to them when they go up against Mustafizur with all his variations. They may bat extremely deep, but the quality is not there I'm afraid. England's bowling attack is even worse for this format.