• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd best ODI side?

Which is the 2nd best ODI side (behind Oz)?

• NZ

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • India

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • South Africa

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Bangladesh (have bullied the other sides at home)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
India definitely not as good as some of the previous ODI units, I'd still back us to perform during ICC events though so I guess that's a big plus. But yeah India's ODI side has some roles to be filled. It's a very limited side atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
India definitely not as good as some of the previous ODI units, I'd still back us to perform during ICC events though so I guess that's a big plus. But yeah India's ODI side has some roles to be filled. It's a very limited side atm.
I think every team is kind of searching for options in a couple of roles though. It's probably not unusual right at the start of a World Cup cycle.

The SA-India-NZ group would all be favourites at home against each other IMO, but I voted for India because I think I'd back them at home against Australia as well, whereas I'd still expect Australia to win in NZ and SA.

cnerd123

likes this
BW said SA isn't a good side and ranked India second.

Gob replied to that comment by saying "how many teams have beaten India in recent times?"

He was making a point about SA being good. RTB missed it. Lol.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
lol @ Bangladesh on the poll
I'd rank them 5th personally - Aus 1, NZ/Saf/Ind very hard to split but prob in that order, Bang 5 but thought they deserved a nomination (definitely better than WI, Pak, Eng and probably a Sanga-less SL)

NZL has the most depth of the sides (far more allrounder and bowler depth than India and SA but need to win more ODI series in Asia apart from the UAE), South Africa the most 2010-2015 greats but some real mediocrity - using ABDV as a 5th bowler!!??!, while India has batting as good as the other two and greatly improved fielding but toothless bowling without Shami.

Cricket Records | 2015 - Bangladesh | Records | One-Day Internationals | Match results | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You still trying to push this idea Bangladesh are a good ODI side? :laugh:

They lost to Zimbabwe recently.
Lol not a good idea to make posts without reading. Read the thread title, then go onto Espncricinfo, and check the last BD-Zimbabwe ODI series.

'How is SA a good ODI side? Score above 250 and they are out of the game.' This is what I said. It's pretty clear I am talking about chasing here?

And this is SA's record when chasing from 1st Jan 2013.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...2013;spanval1=span;template=results;type=team

A side with such a poor chasing record cannot be one of the top 3 sides.

Oh and Bangladesh also beat South Africa in their most recent series.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we talking just odi series or are we talking icc events. SA the odi series team and SA the icc tournament are two totally different teams. If they play to their ability think SA is second with nz a close third. India lacks the bowling to compete imho.
I don't think that's necessarily the case though. Their so called ICC tournament choking is a tad overrated.

I think the main problem is South Africa chasing.

2015 WC

The two key games they lost in the first round against India and Pakistan were chasing.

2011 WC - the QF against New Zealand - chasing

The two games they lost in India last year - chasing.

Yes they do choke, and 99 was surely a choke, but every time they crash out of the World Cup, it doesn't mean they choked. It simply exposes some of the other problems they have, which is mainly the batting order crumbling when chasing.

Duminy's avg when chasing 32 as opposed to 43 batting first
Amla's 43 and 60
Miller's avg 17 and 44
Behardian avg 15 and 38

AB averages 56 and 51 so he's on a different league entirely.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'd rank them 5th personally - Aus 1, NZ/Saf/Ind very hard to split but prob in that order, Bang 5 but thought they deserved a nomination (definitely better than WI, Pak, Eng and probably a Sanga-less SL)]=
lol what. They might be definitely better than the WIndies, potentially Pakistan too. I can't believe I'm actually about to defend the English ODI team but since their god awful world cup, they handed out some severe punishment to the Black Caps (high scoring and eventually 3-2) when everyone gave them basically no chance, narrow series defeat (2-3) to Australia, and defeated Pakistan in the UAE 3-1. I'd say they're actually, deservedly, about 5th.

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. New Zealand/India
5. England
6. Bangladesh/Pakistan
8. Sri Lanka
9. West Indies
10. Zimbabwe

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah England are marginally better than Bangladesh at 5th.

Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Windies are dire.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah England are marginally better than Bangladesh at 5th.

Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Windies are dire.
I have a feeling Pakistan are better than their recent efforts suggest, but then that's Pakistan cricket summed up these last 2 years.