• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad Selection

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England Squad Selection

Richard said:
The things on which I judge players are part of the game, believe it or not.
So how come you say Brett Lee in ODI's and Glenn McGrath are not good players when the "only judge is the game" and they have exceptional records.

If they're as bad as you make out, how come the game doesn't recognise that?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
How come Harmison's average is better than the rest of the bowling attack in the games he's played then?

I agree 100% with the England squad to the WI.
Because the "other bowlers" include Mark Butcher, Ashley Giles in England, Richard Dawson, Matthew Hoggard in Australia with no movement (which was a very stupid choice since it was obvious he wouldn't do anything in Australia in the 1st place)? Or doesn't that matter? I can't think of too many players who have been picked consistantly and done much worse than Harmison, other than Anderson who was obviously burnt out and Flintoff who is over-bowled by miles and is only effective in ODIs. But of course that doesn't matter either.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Re: Re: Re: England Squad Selection

Richard said:
70 mph is certainly faster than any spinner's stock-ball, even the quickest ones like Dharmasena and Kumble. That's a ludicrous statement.
ummm ive seen afridi bowling at 80 mph and kumbles faster one is more than 70 mph.

Richard said:
Do you really believe that just bowling 90 mph on a placid wicket will achiece any more success than bowling 70 with swing?
If you think Bicknell isn't a good bowler then, quite frankly, you are the one who shouldn't be watching cricket any more. Bicknell is a fantastic bowler and has been for God knows how long.
even the birdbrains know that anybody at 70mph has no chance of getting wickets on slow wickets. if ur argument were true then we should be opening the bowling with mark butcher and mark ealham.(both are accurate and can swing the ball). i am not saying that harmison is by any means a good bowler but if anyone can get assistance from those pitches its the bowlers who bowl fast...look at shoaib akhtar,michael holding etc they had pace and got more out of the wicket...its not a point of view its a know fact!!yes and the fact that he has been for "god knows how long is precisely why he has no future. although harmision and jones arent good they have time to learn...many bowlers started of badly but they got better with more games. id rather have a young squad than a squad of 30 year olds with no future whatsoever. we'd be back in the awful 90s english era then wouldnt we??

Richard said:
And another ludicrous statement is "the wicket was swinging all over the place". Sorry, but the wicket doesn't swing - yes, it seamed all over the place, but he got better figures at The Oval than at Headingley. He got them on a placid wicket very similar to those we are likely to encounter in West Indies.
Do you think somoene like Harmison will be able to take the baton from the Goughs, Caddicks and Corks? Because ATM I most certainly don't.
are u stupid enough to be comparing the overcast conditions(in the mornings at least) of the oval where the ball seams early but then carries nicely to the keeper to pitches in the west indies that are completely dead and have no pace whatsoever?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
its not the sole responsibilty of the county game..but it does have some role.

Hahaha..I never said you said that Dakin is better than McGrath, its just that you described Dakin as 'quality' and you have frequently suggested that McGrath is lucky (and by implication,not 'quality')..i was just being picky
McGrath on a green or uneven wicket = about as good as it's possible to be.
I've never said he's not quality in certain circumstances, just not in as many as most people assume judging on his figures.
Anyway, McGrath is "quality" by the standards of his most regular game - internationals. Dakin is quality by his - English domestic. Dakin would certianly not be quality by international standards!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England Squad Selection

marc71178 said:
So how come you say Brett Lee in ODI's and Glenn McGrath are not good players when the "only judge is the game" and they have exceptional records.

Because the game isn't solely based on records.
There are other ways of judging players that is to do with the game.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year

marc71178 said:

Brett Lee has a very good record, but would you rate him as equal to that average at the moment? I wouldn't. It's blatently obvious from his form over the Australian Summer that he's not as good as he was before. He will still remain a good bowler in ODIs, but I doubt he'll ever be as effective.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: England Squad Selection

tooextracool said:
ummm ive seen afridi bowling at 80 mph and kumbles faster one is more than 70 mph.
I've seen Afridi's 80 mph-er too - and it's a quicker ball. As is Bicknell's 80 mh ball, which you have clearly not seen. Kumble's faster one is more than 70 mph? News to me, but it doesn't especially matter if it is anyway.
even the birdbrains know that anybody at 70mph has no chance of getting wickets on slow wickets. if ur argument were true then we should be opening the bowling with mark butcher and mark ealham.(both are accurate and can swing the ball).
Mark Butcher, accurate? :lol: That's a good one!
What lots of people don't know is that the pace of the bowling and the pace of the wicket isn't especially relevant to whether wickets are taken or not - what matters is whether the ball moves. If someone at 70 mph is moving the ball and someone at 90 is not, regardless of the pace of the wicket, the former has the better chance of getting wickets.
i am not saying that harmison is by any means a good bowler but if anyone can get assistance from those pitches its the bowlers who bowl fast...look at shoaib akhtar,michael holding etc they had pace and got more out of the wicket...its not a point of view its a know fact!!yes and the fact that he has been for "god knows how long is precisely why he has no future. although harmision and jones arent good they have time to learn...many bowlers started of badly but they got better with more games. id rather have a young squad than a squad of 30 year olds with no future whatsoever. we'd be back in the awful 90s english era then wouldnt we??
IMO the current era (2001-2004) is no better than the 1990s. No better at all.
If anyone can get assistance from those wickets it's someone who uses techniques other than seam and swing. What pace they bowl at is irrelevant. If you can bowl 90 mph but your only wicket-taking techniques are seam and swing you're not going to be any more use than someone of 80 mph who is the same. Whatever pace you bowl at, you need to be able to do something different. Shoaib is one who can do such - he just happens to be fast as well. Holding was similar (though of course it didn't matter in terms of West Indian wickets in those days, because they were typically very different to how they are now).
are u stupid enough to be comparing the overcast conditions(in the mornings at least) of the oval where the ball seams early but then carries nicely to the keeper to pitches in the west indies that are completely dead and have no pace whatsoever?
Typical wickets at The Oval have no significant extra carry and bounce than those in West Indies, not that it matters much. Nor do they seam, early or late. Overcast conditions are not relative to morning and afternoon, but it's not essential to swing for it to be overcast - it just makes it easier.
Good bowlers can achieve clear-air turbulance. It's just a bit harder than under cloudy skies.

tooextracool

International Coach
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England Squad Selection

Richard said:
I've seen Afridi's 80 mph-er too - and it's a quicker ball. As is Bicknell's 80 mh ball, which you have clearly not seen. Kumble's faster one is more than 70 mph? News to me, but it doesn't especially matter if it is anyway.
im sry bicknells 80 mph ball came 6-7 years ago when he was at his peak!but as u said it probably doesnt matter

Originally posted by Richard Mark Butcher, accurate? :lol: That's a good one!
What lots of people don't know is that the pace of the bowling and the pace of the wicket isn't especially relevant to whether wickets are taken or not - what matters is whether the ball moves. If someone at 70 mph is moving the ball and someone at 90 is not, regardless of the pace of the wicket, the former has the better chance of getting wickets..[/B]
i find this very amusing...yes it does indeed swing in the west indies, sunshine and all. it also explains why bowlers dread bowling there too doesnt it?i refuse to agree with the fact that a 70 mph bowler who swings the ball is going to get more wickets than one who doesnt at 90. if that were the case than we would see many more medium pace bowlers around the world but theyre disappearance only signifies that they are not good enough to pick up wickets at the test level. as i said earlier it would mean that ppl like ealham(okay maybe not butcher), ronnie irani, ian austin would have been star bowlers.i agree that swing is a crucial asset especially if u have pace but if u have swing and no pace its all the more easier to adjust ur shot to the slow swinging ball rather someone with just raw pace although not very accurate could at least ruffle a few batsman especially the tail,however if accurate they can be deadly.
lets test ur argument with figures just like u like to. on the australian tour of the west indies u would say that someone like glenn mcgrath swings the ball and is very bicknell like although he is much faster and more accurate but yet of the bicknell type and yet his avg on the tour was 52.7!!

IMO the current era (2001-2004) is no better than the 1990s. No better at all.
If anyone can get assistance from those wickets it's someone who uses techniques other than seam and swing. What pace they bowl at is irrelevant. If you can bowl 90 mph but your only wicket-taking techniques are seam and swing you're not going to be any more use than someone of 80 mph who is the same. Whatever pace you bowl at, you need to be able to do something different. Shoaib is one who can do such - he just happens to be fast as well. Holding was similar (though of course it didn't matter in terms of West Indian wickets in those days, because they were typically very different to how they are now).[/B]

yes i quite agree with u the current era is no better than the 90s but the crucial aspect is that they are young and they will learn unlike the bunch of old hags that we had earlier. let me compare harmison to a great fast bowler named javagal srinath. now when srinath started i can assure u he was just as bad as harmison...perhaps worse cause he was slower, he bowled short ,wasnt very accurate and never really got the ball to swing or seam. and towards the twilight of his career he ended up being the best bowler of the 90s for india!!!

Typical wickets at The Oval have no significant extra carry and bounce than those in West Indies, not that it matters much. Nor do they seam, early or late. Overcast conditions are not relative to morning and afternoon, but it's not essential to swing for it to be overcast - it just makes it easier.
Good bowlers can achieve clear-air turbulance. It's just a bit harder than under cloudy skies. [/B]

i guess we'll find out now wont we??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England Squad Selection

Rik said:
I wouldn't. It's blatently obvious from his form over the Australian Summer that he's not as good as he was before.
His record wasn't as good as it has been for a while, but how much was that to do with his state of mind after the Test debacle?

And even then, his record in that time is actually a lot more economical than his career record.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: England Squad Selection

marc71178 said:
His record wasn't as good as it has been for a while, but how much was that to do with his state of mind after the Test debacle?

And even then, his record in that time is actually a lot more economical than his career record.
He wasn't bowling well but whenever he came across Zimbabwe he returned economical figures but with little penetration. When he came against India (except in the finals when India collapsed like usual) he was neither economical or penetrative.

Look, there is allways a reason, and if your playing Zimbabwe whilst out of form, do you really expect they will take you to the cleaners? So coming up with 10-3-30-1 against Zimbabwe shows he's getting better? That's almost as good as "Harmison's Improving" because finally takes some wickets, against, wait for it, Bangladesh!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Where did I say he'd improved?

I agreed he hadn't performed up to his usual level, then looked at the figures and noted his economy - it came as a shock that it was so low considering how "badly" he performed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

tooextracool said:
im sry bicknells 80 mph ball came 6-7 years ago when he was at his peak!but as u said it probably doesnt matter
Bicknell was still bowling 80 mph deliveries last summer - believe me. He even came close to it in the Test-matches.
Whatever the situation, Bicknell's stock-ball is and always has been faster than that of Afridi, Kumble or Dharmasena, the quickest regular-international-playing bowlers around ATM.
i find this very amusing...yes it does indeed swing in the west indies, sunshine and all. it also explains why bowlers dread bowling there too doesnt it?i refuse to agree with the fact that a 70 mph bowler who swings the ball is going to get more wickets than one who doesnt at 90. if that were the case than we would see many more medium pace bowlers around the world but theyre disappearance only signifies that they are not good enough to pick up wickets at the test level. as i said earlier it would mean that ppl like ealham(okay maybe not butcher), ronnie irani, ian austin would have been star bowlers.i agree that swing is a crucial asset especially if u have pace but if u have swing and no pace its all the more easier to adjust ur shot to the slow swinging ball rather someone with just raw pace although not very accurate could at least ruffle a few batsman especially the tail,however if accurate they can be deadly.
Pace + accuracy with no swing = not much use. Accuracy + swing at 75-80 mph = deadly.
Like it or not, pace simply isn't that important any more. Protective equipment now takes it more or less out of the equation; competant batsmen don't get "ruffled". To dismiss a competant batsman, the ball has to move sideways or bounce inconsistently (and no credit goes to the bowler for one that keeps low or spits up).
Of course someone who swings it at 90 mph is eminently preferable to someone who swings it at 70, but movement is so much more important than pace it's untrue. No bowler who doesn't move the ball sideways is ever likely to be effective in Tests, because tail-enders aren't in enough supply.
It is true that West Indies is the most difficult place in The World to swing the ball, but the best have always managed it anyway.
lets test ur argument with figures just like u like to. on the australian tour of the west indies u would say that someone like glenn mcgrath swings the ball and is very bicknell like although he is much faster and more accurate but yet of the bicknell type and yet his avg on the tour was 52.7!!
Glenn McGrath most certainly does not swing the ball very often. He is not Bicknell-like either - his stock pace nowadays is around 7-8 mph faster than Bicknell.
However, it was a pleasure to see him played well, a rare occasion, in West Indies. They didn't do quite so well against another swing-and-seam bowler, Gillespie, though.
yes i quite agree with u the current era is no better than the 90s but the crucial aspect is that they are young and they will learn unlike the bunch of old hags that we had earlier.
Just because someone is young doesn't mean they will improve.
They've got to be good. We did have some reasonably good cricketers in the early 90s - Gooch, Atherton, Smith, Gower, Gatting, Stewart, Botham, DeFreitas, Lewis, Malcolm, Fraser. Then the like of Gough, Cork, Caddick, Thorpe and Hussain popped-up too.
The problem with the 90s was common; instead of reaching 90-95% of potential, too many players reached just 80 or so. For instance, Atherton, Hussain and Stewart should IMO all have averaged in the early 40s; presently, none do, and Atherton and Stewart have, obviously, finished. Injuries certainly did not help some players, especially Gough and Atherton. Others (Caddick, Cork) were simply "enigmatic". Dropped catches were often an innumerable, un-valuable factor.
For a brief period, when Duncan Fletcher first took-over, all the above problems were solved. Injuries ceased, dropped catches were solved, and players played at the top of their game for sustained periods.
Sadly, they've all returned in full measure. I presently see nothing better than the 90s all over again for the prospects for the rest of the 2000s.
let me compare harmison to a great fast bowler named javagal srinath. now when srinath started i can assure u he was just as bad as harmison...perhaps worse cause he was slower, he bowled short ,wasnt very accurate and never really got the ball to swing or seam. and towards the twilight of his career he ended up being the best bowler of the 90s for india!!!
Javagal Srinath could undoubtedly have been a great bowler IMO - sadly, like Kapil Dev before him, his Test-average in the end didn't do justice to my perception of his ability.
Anyway, to just pick a random player and assume Harmison can emulate him is very dicey indeed. I could say exactly the same about, for instance, Simon Francis - and if he ever becomes a county-standard bowler, let alone international, I'll eat my computer.
Harmison has potential if you ask me - but right now no-one seems to even know what he's got to do, let alone help him do it.
i guess we'll find out now wont we??
We will indeed - sadly we won't be able to compare him to Bicknell, though, because Bicknell isn't going to be there.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
If Harmison is part of the future, it still looks pretty bleak at the moment. On absolutely no count whatsoever can your assertion about him be construed as true.
He may have got 4-33 against his name in his most recent Test spell (note, Test is taken as meaningful Test) but the last 5 innings-spells produced unspectacular results. Similarly, in Australia, 3 very, very poor spells were succeeded by 2 slightly better ones.
Harmison has been very fortunate in that his Test-career's most pivotal points have seen Bangladesh and Zimbabwe as the opponents. Each time, these poor batting sides have given his supporters the excuse to trot-out the "he's improving all the time" rubbish.
We'll see in the Caribbean and next summer. If West Indies bat like they can Harmison in his most recent state will not get good figures - that is a fact. Of course, Harmison may have improved (unlikely, but still possible) and WI may still manage to play poor strokes galore against him - so don't take stats as the be all and end all.
Good call.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What, actually, was that image amz? Just came-up as the big red X...
Interesting to read again what was actually the first Richard-tec multi-quote war.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
What, actually, was that image amz? Just came-up as the big red X...
Interesting to read again what was actually the first Richard-tec multi-quote war.
You clearly won

<quack> No he didn't

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The major problem with England selection is that too many players with natural talent get into county sides and are content with that as a living. They don't push themselves to be the best.

Also, as Richard says, more emphasis needs to be put on the grass-roots.