• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah ideally should have referred that earlier, but it's okay to look at the screen? Or is there a law against that?
I don't know that the screen should come into it, otherwise you call Milne back today and Warner back the other night, both of whom were shown to be not out before they left the field.

Which tbh I'd probably rather see anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know that the screen should come into it, otherwise you call Milne back today and Warner back the other night, both of whom were shown to be not out before they left the field.

yeah this is what i mean by the can of worms wrt drs. this was weird, but it just seems a fundamentally fairer outcome than what happened to milne and warner.

indiaholic

International Captain

The only real problem is the potential for time wasting, I suppose.. The umpires can just stand there waiting for something to show up on screen every time.

Burgey

How funny would it have been if they showed that side on shot of the catch for the first time just then and the ball bounced before henry? Fmd I'd have rolled on the floor laughing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Umpires often review potential catches to see if they were bump-balls, and I've seen umpires review potential caught off the boot dismissals before as well. It's been consistent in its own way, but I've never really understood why there's a difference between them not knowing if it was a bump ball and not knowing if it was bat or pad first for an lbw appeal, for example.

Gob

International Coach
Wasn't that a dead ball?

Genuine question and thats my only beef with that dismissal

Flem274*

123/5
In our conditions yeah I'd be doing the same. Harsh on Neil but then again he's used to it.
controversial opinion - atm wagner is first bowler picked

southee returning from injury did sfa and boult still does sfa and after the head in the sand stuff building into the australian tour im very worried for the southee-boult combo in the coming tests.

indiaholic

International Captain
or just review every bump ball appeal like they do with runouts
Yeah as long as third umpires are reasonably good at their job, this should be fine.. They waste so much time on hopeless angles which a blind man can see won't help them reach a decision.

Burgey

The only real problem is the potential for time wasting, I suppose.. The umpires can just stand there waiting for something to show up on screen every time.
Well indeed. But when you have commentators saying "as long as the right decision is made" that won't come into it. i think on this day and age when you're dealing with blokes' livelihoods, it's more important to get it right, and I wouldn't worry about he time wasting thing.

Burgey

Umpires often review potential catches to see if they were bump-balls, and I've seen umpires review potential caught off the boot dismissals before as well. It's been consistent in its own way, but I've never really understood why there's a difference between them not knowing if it was a bump ball and not knowing if it was bat or pad first for an lbw appeal, for example.
Exactly.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with the big screen showing replays before the umpires decision, is that those replays are not determined by the umpires but by produces in the studio.... which could lead to a whole lot of bias, based on who`s broadcasting. This has become a problem in Rugby and recently they cut back on the what refs can refer to the TMO because of this... (and a few other reasons)

Last edited: