• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I was gutted about the game. And my mood dropped into a state neighbouring depression for the next 48 hours. That is not an exaggeration or hyperbole. I don't suffer from mood disorders or depression by the way and regard myself as a self starter and try to be a positive person. I was also upset at the blackcaps for being in a bouyant mood (signing autographs etc) the day after the loss and I read that as a sign that they weren't overly emotionally invested in the match and as such had not tried their hardest.

McCullum's wicket was the whole match. I am happy to debate that in a thread if you want to discuss it as it something that comes up here on and off. Usually it is me and one or two other people who think it was Baz's wicket vs all of CW who thinks we lost it at 150/3.
I dunno if there's really that much to debate, as it's more a sort of point of view type thing. I think McCullum's dismissal certainly played a part, and no doubt if he'd got us off to a great start the whole game would have completely different and the rest of the side may not have seemed so overawed.

We did graft ourselves into a good position after that, but never really looked comfortable, and the lower order turned out to be hopeless after Taylor and Elliott. I guess with that in mind, the only way we'd have got a good score from there was if neither of those two had got out until much deeper into the game.

Sadly neither of those scenarios played out. One day we will move on. :)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sadly neither of those scenarios played out. One day we will move on. :)
I never fully got over Zaheer spraying it around in the first over, Ponting repeatedly demolishing Srinath into Joburg's top tier and Sachin choking in the first over, until 2011.

So, yeah, it's going to take you blokes a while. Maybe your great grandchildren will be able to banish the ghosts of 2015. :ph34r:

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
^If you want a more sophisticated pop psychology answer for the above - then I would venture that it fits my chosen world view to believe that the umpire is a cheat. And brings me cognitive satisfaction to hold this view. Therefore I choose to believe he is a cheat. If you choose to believe he is a fair dinkum straight shooter that is your call. You might like to listen to the commentary which reminded viewers that Hadlee himself had been unable to obtain many LB judgements in his favour while bowling during that particular tour, but again your view is just as likely to be right as my one is. But I am entitled to my view,
But Hadlee bowled in the corridor of uncertainty so how could the ump be certain ..?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I never fully got over Zaheer spraying it around in the first over, Ponting repeatedly demolishing Srinath into Joburg's top tier and Sachin choking in the first over, until 2011.

So, yeah, it's going to take you blokes a while. Maybe your great grandchildren will be able to banish the ghosts of 2015. :ph34r:
The Ian Robinson non-caught behinds in the 2001 NZ Aus test series is the one that always gets me.

But I think I might be finally on the road to letting it go.

A drawn three match test series in Aus against that all-time great side was still an achievement to be proud of. Even if we were a whisker away from winning 2-0!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not been on this thread during the series, and now I feel a bit bad about the post I am about to make after reading the last few posts here. But it's been a few days now so hopefully we have moved on sort of. As a fellow fan, I fully understand the pain a comprehensive series loss like this would cause. I just spent a whole Sunday, sitting quietly and thinking over and over about 83 all out.

But, getting back to the series, I watched a fair bit of the last 5 Aus-NZ test matches.

One of the deeply concerning things from NZ perspective for me was obviously the regression of Southee and especially Boult as test bowlers, but also the lack of any one else stepping up. The last few years when New Zealand achieved some degree of success, you have had guys like Sodhi or Craig or Wagner or Bracewell chipping in every now and then, plus you had your two premier bowlers at their best.

This is where New Zealand is falling behind here. We talked before this series how South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan were all very evenly balanced with England and India a bit ahead, which basically meant not much between the top 6 teams which made for very competitive cricket. The last 5 test matches unfortunately were not very competitive precisely because New Zealand failed to pick up 20 wickets even once. Failure to do that over 5 test matches is huge and you cannot expect to win many games. And New Zealand are now a tad behind the other 5 teams.

As for the batting, once again, other than KW and Taylor, you don't really have a dependable test standard batsman. Latham has promise and should improve. But the others like Guptill and Nichols and Anderson are just too inconsistent. You can't really develop as a test team with 2 dependable batsman, as was evident in this series, if one is injured and the other guy doesn't score, it will seem like a different pitch every time you go out to bat.

Having said that, it's not all doom and gloom, precisely because players can develop. For the longest time, South Africa solely relied on Steyn and Morkel, with the likes of Kallis, Parnell, Harris, playing the supporting role, before Philander came along.

Similarly, Australia seemed to have only Clarke and Smith in 13-14, with Rogers developing, and then Warner who developing into a test opener. Even then, as early as the last Ashes, it seemed like Smith and Warner were the only two dependable batsmen, yet today you have people like Khawaja, Vogues and Burns developing.

I think Latham can improve. You never know when another guy comes along. But, what this means though is that the upward growth of New Zealand test team over the last 2 years is slowing down and they will fall behind the rest for some time.

How well they pick themselves up and how well KW takes on the captaincy and the team responds to him would be the key.

No one saw the turnaround that started with McCullum coming, so we never know. Boult and Southee have age on their side and I hope they are able to pick themselves up. Boult is a quality bowler and it's just 1 bad season. He should be able to work out what he is doing wrong and pick himself up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Funny how we all have different reflections and moments in that WC final. Mine was the absolute disgust at the tinniness that was the Taylor dismissal when we'd worked our asses off to get back in the game. Massive loopy pie of a slower ball that Ross seemingly managed to nick at a greater rate than it was coming off the pitch. After crying into my awful 2-stroke beer they were selling for the first 15 overs, I'd finally reached a state of optimism that we'd get 40-odd from 35-40, go into the last 10 overs on 200-odd and have the platform to push for 300. Then that ****ing ball.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Funny how we all have different reflections and moments in that WC final. Mine was the absolute disgust at the tinniness that was the Taylor dismissal when we'd worked our asses off to get back in the game. Massive loopy pie of a slower ball that Ross seemingly managed to nick at a greater rate than it was coming off the pitch. After crying into my awful 2-stroke beer they were selling for the first 15 overs, I'd finally reached a state of optimism that we'd get 40-odd from 35-40, go into the last 10 overs on 200-odd and have the platform to push for 300. Then that ****ing ball.
Was it just me - or was there a certain angle during the 3rd umpire review that made it seem like the ball touched the ground as Haddin pouched it.
I am trying to find the Youtube replay aws.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was it just me - or was there a certain angle during the 3rd umpire review that made it seem like the ball touched the ground as Haddin pouched it.
I am trying to find the Youtube replay aws.
I was at the ground so didn't see it at the time, and I damn sure haven't watched the game since. It was absolutely sickening.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Are we still discussing NZ vs Aus?! Face it, we got clobbered. We sucked. Aus were too good. I mean REALLY ****ing GOOD! Our boys had NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY ****ING NOTHING!