• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I get the feeling with Craig though that he might get a nosebleed if he went up to number 6 - reckon he could be one of those guys that scores runs in the lower order but couldn't do it playing as an actual batsman.
Yeah I agree. Not that he'd actually bat six, but he'd bat seven and I'd still agree there. I'd want to see some PS tons before I started considering him any sort of serious allrounder prospect, but I just think that with four seamers in the side Corey's bowling becomes a bit of a non-event, and if Corey's not bowling I'd back Craig to add more to the side right now.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
What approach do we reckon Guptill should take this morning. Bat like it's an ODI and hope that if he nicks out then Kane and Tom can carry us to lunch? Or do it properly and try to survive?
The former I guess? Trying to survive renders him strokeless and seems to put pressure on Latham. Also, I don't have high hopes for him seeing off Hazlewood through defence.

Moss

Yeah I agree. Not that he'd actually bat six, but he'd bat seven and I'd still agree there. I'd want to see some PS tons before I started considering him any sort of serious allrounder prospect, but I just think that with four seamers in the side Corey's bowling becomes a bit of a non-event, and if Corey's not bowling I'd back Craig to add more to the side right now.
Craig would actually be unfortunate to miss out here having had a good match with the bat and bowled very well one day 1 at the Basin. Wagner more likely to bounce back though if the Aussies get on top of him.

Meridio

International Regular
Am I reading Cricinfo right? We've won the toss (!) and bowled? Risky move, and you'd say a strange one if we are playing four quicks.

Edit: no, we lost the toss.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Great way to ensure monochromity of pitches. Terrible Ida for Test matches in my view.
Nah, you'd still get solid variation in pitches around the world, you'd just get fewer pitches that massively favour the side winning the toss, like those dungheaps in India last year.

#comeatmezorax

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
surely threre's something McCullum does wrong which makes him so ****ing bad at tossing. Bet he chooses whatever won last time #probabilisticfallacies

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Have the visiting team choose whether they want to bat or bowl?
Still seems too big an advantage to me, like imagine Australia effectively winning the toss every test of a 5 test Ashes series in England. Would have to be a reasonably significant increase in their chance of winning the series. But yeah that'd be better than the home team always batting first most likely. But I think worse than luck, probably.

Moss

So I guess Bird comes in first change now that Patto's in?

Pattinson and Hazlewood, that's a new ball partnership that should be worth watching.