• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the current Test teams on the basis of how over/underrated their players are

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't remember Anderson having a mediocre period at all? He had one bad series against Australia, but that's about it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe mediocre is slightly overstating it, but from 2012 through 2013/14 he averaged 32.22 with a strike rate of 67, which is really only ok. Apart from his strong showing in India in late 2012 it was a lean time for him.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There was definitely a period when Southee was better than Anderson.

That period is not now though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone actually "rate" Australia 2015/2016

I sure as **** don't

We are just a slightly better version of India in that we occasionally win a series away from home

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I actually rate most of the current teams quite highly. Australia are pretty bloody good. About 5-6 world-class-or-near-enough bowlers, a superb opening batsman, future ATG middle order batsman etc. Batting probably a touch light but not ridiculously so.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I actually rate most of the current teams quite highly. Australia are pretty bloody good. About 5-6 world-class-or-near-enough bowlers, a superb opening batsman, future ATG middle order batsman etc. Batting probably a touch light but not ridiculously so.
It's a decent period for pretty much everyone not named West Indies, Zimbabwe or Sri Lanka.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
5-6 world class bowlers is stretching it

Sidds is done imo

Starc
Haze
Patto
Lyon

The rest are mostly unproven

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
5-6 world class bowlers is stretching it

Sidds is done imo

Starc
Haze
Patto
Lyon

The rest are mostly unproven
I put in the "near enough" part for a reason though. The likes of Bird and Cummins have shown plenty at international level and would probably make most sides around the world when fit and bowling well. Obvious teething problems of course.

Even with South Africa's rapid decline they have Rabada and Elgar et al coming through, and I reckon there are some more experienced middle order bats that could come in and shore things up a little too.

The main point was that I think most sides have some very high quality cricketers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oz are potentially a great team but let's not get carried away

These guys were beaten by a very ordinary England team FFS

Burns - developing nicely and is technically better than at the start of the summer but he is batting on roads

Khawaja - smashing hundreds on roads is great but bigger tests to come and he looks loose around off stump to me

Voges - brilliant Band-Aid on roads

MMarsh - improving with the ball but has done nothing with the bat aside from the UAE

Haze - great stats but Adelaide needs to be the rule not the exception in how he bowls

Sidds - done

Patto - just back after a long time out and injured again

Starc - just starting to bowl well at test level and now out for 6 months

Cummins - out for a year

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I just hope Bangladesh gets the chance to tour and play a few tests. I think they've got some pretty talented players but don't get seen enough to be rated.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Maybe mediocre is slightly overstating it, but from 2012 through 2013/14 he averaged 32.22 with a strike rate of 67, which is really only ok. Apart from his strong showing in India in late 2012 it was a lean time for him.
He averaged 31 in India so it's interesting that that particular series is rated strongly when similar overall figures are mediocre.