• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst bowler to take n or more wickets in Tests?

smash84

The Tiger King
Sami had all the ingredients to be a very good fast bowler. I can't remember any guy as short as Sami bowling 150+ km/h quit regularly. Maybe Marshall but I think Marshall was probably closer to Waqar in height than to Sami. Just that it was gun barrel straight and Sami was twice as brainless as Ishant at his worst.

91Jmay

International Coach
Greg Matthews 61 wickets @ 48 would be a contender for 50 up looking at the stats.

Shahadat Hossain though really dominates that category. 72 @ 51.81 with the princely economy rate of 4.16.

Other contenders for 50 + wickets -

Suranga Lakmal
Ajit Agarkar
Jetan Patel ( :unsure: )

and someone called Paul Wiseman who I have no memory of.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
709 - Muttiah Muralitharan
618 - Shane Warne
435 - Anil Kumble
430 - Kapil Dev
418 - James Anderson (This is tough....there's not much between Kapil and Anderson...but gave Kapil the nod due to bowling in difficult conditions and for longer)
391 - Harbhajan Singh
363 - Makhaya Ntini
293 - Daniel Vettori
262 - Jacques Kallis
202 - Danish Kaneria
166 - Ishant Sharma
152 - Fidel Edwards
115 - Ravi Shastri
86 - Carl Hooper
73 - Daren Powell
42 - Shahadat Hossain
33 - Marlon Samuels
21 - Viv Richards (On second thought, this is probably a bit unfair. Samuels is probably a worse bowler than Viv.)
11 - Ian Chappell
10 - Kevin Pietersen
9 - Shiv Chanderpaul
3 - Graeme Smith
1 - Rajin Saleh

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Rajin Saleh was a handy spinner domestically IIRC. Surely there is someone worse than him to have taken a Test wicket. Mark Boucher has one!

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
800 - Muttiah Muralitharan
708 - Shane Warne
435 - Anil Kumble
432 - Kapil Dev
418 - James Anderson (This is tough....there's not much between Kapil and Anderson...but gave Kapil the nod due to bowling in difficult conditions and for longer)
391 - Harbhajan Singh
363 - Makhaya Ntini
293 - Daniel Vettori
262 - Jacques Kallis
202 - Danish Kaneria
166 - Ishant Sharma
152 - Fidel Edwards
115 - Ravi Shastri
86 - Carl Hooper
73 - Daren Powell
42 - Shahadat Hossain
33 - Marlon Samuels
21 - Viv Richards (On second thought, this is probably a bit unfair. Samuels is probably a worse bowler than Viv.)
11 - Ian Chappell
10 - Kevin Pietersen
9 - Shiv Chanderpaul
3 - Graeme Smith
1 - Rajin Saleh
I don't necessarily agree on that whole list, but decent effort nevertheless.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Some of Weldones' wickets taken were slightly off so I'll try my own

Gets kinda boring quickly as the part-time options take over

Murali - 800
Warne - 708
Kumble - 619
Kapil Dev - 434
Harbhajan - 417
Kallis - 292
Sobers - 235 (career basis, so including his bowling "allround")
Edwards - 165
Shastri - 151
Hooper - 114
Astle - 51
G Chappell - 47
Viv Richards - 32
Chanderpaul - 9
Dunno who is the biggest spud after that

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, Astle was such a handy bowler to have in tests though. You could bowl him for 5 or 6 overs while the quicks were resting and know that he'd never conceed more than 10 or 12 runs.