• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Statistical XI

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
yeah i agree with you....but i was trying to figure out whether strike rate could be considered as viable a stat as average...i dont think it is though
Well would you prefer to bowl a team out for 370 in 90 overs or 240 in 120 overs? As you say, it depends on the situation, but generally the latter would be more favourable.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Well would you prefer to bowl a team out for 370 in 90 overs or 240 in 120 overs? As you say, it depends on the situation, but generally the latter would be more favourable.
mmmm..interesting one that.....could there be a time when you might want the team to be bowled out in quicker time but possibly for more runs......possibly...maybe...if you were desparate to win a game and time was running out and you have great batting...who knows..heheheheeh

Yeah you are right of course

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
batting conditions did take a turn for the better around the early 20's
No, it was the early 30s, actually. Round about the time they started using better preparation techniques.
And still, they were woeful compared to today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Nice idea, but if you are going to have four eras, I would say these are more appropriate:

1876-1914 low scoring
1919-1939 high scoring
1945-70 slow scoring, defensive
1971-present quicker scoring, aggressive.
Of course nothing's ever that exact but I think it's better to judge on what we know about pitches rather than what we can guess by the fact that runs were made.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
No, it was the early 30s, actually. Round about the time they started using better preparation techniques.
And still, they were woeful compared to today.
well certainly in Australia the pitches being prepared were better than before in the aerly 20's

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR they started most stuff slightly earlier in Australia than they did in England.
Certainly I think they did with covering.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
There are four different eras in World cricket, eras which are comparable because pitch conditions changed at their boundaries:
Pre-1900; 1900-1930; 1930-1970; 1970-.
Good to see that you still don't resort to generalisations.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's pretty obvious that average is the most important stat for a bowler. Considering that cricket is about one team scoring more runs than the other and all.

deeps

International 12th Man
thierry henry said:
It's pretty obvious that average is the most important stat for a bowler. Considering that cricket is about one team scoring more runs than the other and all.
but it is also about getting the other team out twice....a different p.o.v

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thierry henry said:
So why not Economy rate then? :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
raju said:
Good to see that you still don't resort to generalisations.
There are certain circumstances where it's unavoidable.
Like this one.
It's still better to look at individual games if you can, naturally.