• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket, age and the Waughs

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
"The selectors have a great opportunity to get rid of both Waughs right now. They've dropped them out of the one-day squad and I can't see any reason why they should even play Test cricket again. They've had their time and now it's time to rebuild."
- quote from Neil Harvey in recent Inside Edge mag

What do you guys think of a comment like this? Just because a player is 37 does that mean that once he had a bad innings or two then he's out of test cricket?? Does age really matter??

I think that if a player is scoring runs (whether he's 20 or 40) and he's in the best XI in the country then he should be an automatic selection. Cricket "experts" like Neil Harvey are probably just making these commments because they didn't get to play at age 37 or 38 themselves...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
IMHO i think Neil Harvey is the biggest tosser in the world, this guy has had his day as a star but he just can't let the current day heroes have theirs, he constantly comes up with ridiculous comments like these and to be honest i wish he just fell off the face of the earth...... :D :D :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My opinion on anything which falls out of Harvey's mouth goes something like this (to paraphrase):

The media have a great opportunity to get rid of Neil Harvey right now. They've dropped him out of any credible news source and I can't see any reason why he should even be allowed out of his ivory tower again. He's had his time and now it's time to rebuild."

Plain and simple (for simple folk like him) his an idiot. There's no doubting he was a SERIOUSLY good batsman and an awesome fielder but when it comes to talking about anyone who played cricket after 1959, his opinions and ill-informed and retrograde. In fact it's sensationalist journalism like this from Inside Edge which stopped me bothering to buy it anymore. I have EVERY issue from the first one to late last year if anyone wants them........... :)

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
The media have a great opportunity to get rid of Neil Harvey right now. They've dropped him out of any credible news source and I can't see any reason why he should even be allowed out of his ivory tower again. He's had his time and now it's time to rebuild."

LOL, Top cat - couldn't agree more...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I agree , who does Harvey think he is ? omg hes just a baby

He doesnt realize how many consecutive tests S.Waugh has led them to victory and who led them to their WOrld CUp victory! as for Mark he plays fantastic cricket at times and saves the teams a lot of times !

I wished these 2 never got sacked , shame on Neil for making Comments like that

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
If a journalist wants a quote to back up a controversial opinion all he has to do is ring Neil Harvey. he rarely has anything good to say about anyone. Steve Waugh's position in the Australian team would be very safe and comments otherwise are just plain wrong. On the other hand it would be fair to say that Mark Waugh is on his last chance. If he plays well against Pakistan he will be kept for the home tests. If he fails then it is time he moved on sadly.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
There was a comment made by one of the commentators (Tony Greig I think it was) on Wednesday at the end of the Pak. and Aus. game that Steve Waugh could still possibly fill the all rounder position in the one day team if Shane Watson doesn't find his feet in time for the World Cup. I think it'd be a great idea - especially since Australia's batting has been suspect in recent times.

What do you guys think?

Top_Cat

There was a comment made by one of the commentators (Tony Greig I think it was) on Wednesday at the end of the Pak. and Aus. game that Steve Waugh could still possibly fill the all rounder position in the one day team if Shane Watson doesn't find his feet in time for the World Cup. I think it'd be a great idea - especially since Australia's batting has been suspect in recent times.

What do you guys think?
Good idea but Steve Waugh better get bowling fit by then or it won't happen. Personally I'd persevere with Shane Watson like the Aussies did with Waugh in the early days. He'll come good eventually. He just needs some encouragement.Dropping him now will just make the whole point of picking a very young player like him completely moot.

If they want to pick someone experienced as an allrounder, maybe Blewwy would be the way to go? Nathan Hauritz can bat a bit and his ability as an offie is unquestioned. I think Mark Higgs should be given a go in the one-day side next season too. He can really play. Once again, he just needs a little encouragement.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It might be a good idea to give some of the established one day players a rest for the next tournament (v Pakistan and New Zealand), say to them that their positions are assured and play some other guys to broaden the options before the World Cup. They could rest Gilchrist, Bevan, Martyn, Warne and McGrath and give guys like Haddin, Maher, Higgs, Hauritz, Noffke, Inness, Clarke etc a go. Australia would then be well prepared in case of injury come the World Cup.

What would they do if Gilchrist got injured just before the World Cup. Would Haddin or Campbell be up to opening and keeping, a big task that a special player like Gilchrist can handle, or would they bat down the order. It would be good to know these things before the World Cup.

Some might say that that would cheapen playing for Australia but it's only one day cricket and the team as a whole would benefit.

Top_Cat

It might be a good idea to give some of the established one day players a rest for the next tournament (v Pakistan and New Zealand), say to them that their positions are assured and play some other guys to broaden the options before the World Cup. They could rest Gilchrist, Bevan, Martyn, Warne and McGrath and give guys like Haddin, Maher, Higgs, Hauritz, Noffke, Inness, Clarke etc a go. Australia would then be well prepared in case of injury come the World Cup.

What would they do if Gilchrist got injured just before the World Cup. Would Haddin or Campbell be up to opening and keeping, a big task that a special player like Gilchrist can handle, or would they bat down the order. It would be good to know these things before the World Cup.

Some might say that that would cheapen playing for Australia but it's only one day cricket and the team as a whole would benefit.
Ah the old rotation policy! Worked a treat last year!! :D

Seriously, it's probably too close to the WC to do this sort of stuff. The team should be looking at being solidified from now on. And I get the feeling it's going that way anyway. I mean look at the team:

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Bevan
Watson
Warne
Bichel
Gillespie
McGrath

Considering how well Bichel bowled against Pakistan, the only places I see that could change might be Jimmy Maher brought in to open and Gilchrist moved down the order and the allrounder spot is up for grabs (although, not if Maher were to play). For Maher to play, they'd need a fifth bowler and it looks like the Aussies are grooming Lehmann to do just that with Martyn to share the duties if he gets pounded a bit.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ah the old rotation policy! Worked a treat last year!! :D
No... NO... NOOOOO!!!!! Anything but the 'R' word!!!

Seriously though, I don't mind the idea of giving some other guys a go before the world cup, especially a backup wicketkeeper. It would also be good to see guys like Hayden, Lehmann, Lee and Bichel step up to the plate without the Ponting/Gilchrist/McGrath base (the situation about whether the selectors have the balls to play Lee for the big games also needs to be sorted out - he's either in or he's out).

I think these things can only strengthen Australian cricket and a good experience post-McGrath/Warne/Waughs etc...

...just don't describe it as 'rotation'- the scars haven't healed yet from VB Series losses :)