• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exasperated Ranting

Shady Slim

International Coach
this is a thread where you put all your angry cricket related rants and vent anything you need to vent without being judged by the rest of the forum, because they're doing it too. er, hopefully.

feel free to delete this thread if it's a terrible idea, and please do not be dicks to other users for their rants.

*************************************​

steve smith. this sounds so ridiculous but it pains me to watch him bat. some players are prone to poor shots or edginess when they're on 2. it's awful to have to watch smith flum around for 150. with all of these india one-dayers it's ridiculous to see a batsman be able to flick through square leg so cleanly and then the very next ball play the most disgusting agricultural hack you've seen. they say it's a "unique" technique. it's also a unique technique if i go out to bat and hold the blade and try to hit it with the stick but guess frickin' what it's not a good one. i struggle to even put reason to how he succeeds and dare i say it he can make a test match dull and boring to me; sure it is entertaining to some to see his strange technique at work but i find it just horrendously boring and unappealing, as well as the fact on the roady mcroads in australia once he's in it's rarely an even bat and ball contest, but that's a different rant.

more rants from me to come later about australian pitches, selectors, quotas, aggression and more but let's have a look at what the rest of cricketweb can dish up.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with you regards Smith ftr. I am constantly amazed at how he has been so successful.......but successful he most certainly has been. So I guess the issue is ours not his, but he will never be a batsmen I enjoy watching.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Graeme Smith "The King of Ugly Batting" could be so successful, there's no reason why Steve Smith can't.

Spark

Global Moderator
only when you're on a KW purge
Nah, KW is great. Ian Bell I find boring as ****, always have.

Give me an unorthodox and "ugly" looking batsman any day who understands his game inside out and is good at manipulating fields, working the ball off good deliveries to change the bowlers' lines and lengths and finds new ways to counteract threatening bowling (batsmanship, in a word) to someone who bats with a checklist.

Daemon

Bell looks class when going good to me, don't know why people have been trying to put that away as some sort of 'myth' lately

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Steve Smith is the most annoying cricketer in history. It's as if after Chester-le-Street in 2013, Lehmann turned to him and said "Steve, why don't you just be Don Bradman?" and Smith pulled it off in his own unique way. Since the end of 2014 has averaged 90 across all formats in Australia. Ludicrous...

Daemon

Nothing to do with quality tbf.
I mean aesthetically. I'm assuming the reason you brought Bell up was because he's generally thought of as very easy on the eye. Of late I've been noticing an increasing number of posters (or maybe the same people repeatedly, can't recall who they are) saying it's not true. Of course it's very subjective and guys like you who've always found Bell boring are excluded, but I find that his ****ness has interestingly coincided with this opinion.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean aesthetically. I'm assuming the reason you brought Bell up was because he's generally thought of as very easy on the eye. Of late I've been noticing an increasing number of posters (or maybe the same people repeatedly, can't recall who they are) saying it's not true. Of course it's very subjective and guys like you who've always found Bell boring are excluded, but I find that his ****ness has interestingly coincided with this opinion.
Think it's more the same people over and over tbf. I've been saying this since like 2011 when Bell was averaging high-40s.

Burner

International Regular
To put it briefly, if aliens ever landed on Earth and the first thing they saw was Steve Smith batting, they would take one quick look and nope the **** out of our planet.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
this is a thread where you put all your angry cricket related rants and vent anything you need to vent without being judged by the rest of the forum, because they're doing it too. er, hopefully.

feel free to delete this thread if it's a terrible idea, and please do not be dicks to other users for their rants.

*************************************​

steve smith. this sounds so ridiculous but it pains me to watch him bat. some players are prone to poor shots or edginess when they're on 2. it's awful to have to watch smith flum around for 150. with all of these india one-dayers it's ridiculous to see a batsman be able to flick through square leg so cleanly and then the very next ball play the most disgusting agricultural hack you've seen. they say it's a "unique" technique. it's also a unique technique if i go out to bat and hold the blade and try to hit it with the stick but guess frickin' what it's not a good one. i struggle to even put reason to how he succeeds and dare i say it he can make a test match dull and boring to me; sure it is entertaining to some to see his strange technique at work but i find it just horrendously boring and unappealing, as well as the fact on the roady mcroads in australia once he's in it's rarely an even bat and ball contest, but that's a different rant.

more rants from me to come later about australian pitches, selectors, quotas, aggression and more but let's have a look at what the rest of cricketweb can dish up.
George is getting upset!

vcs

I really like Ian Bell's late cuts and the way he comes down the track to spinners is beautiful to watch (think he did this to great effect in the third Test against India last year). Haven't found anything particularly pretty about the rest of his game, though obviously everything works well.