• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exasperated Ranting

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Get the feeling he developed it to avoid playing across his front leg. It makes sense to do it if you're prone to Watsoning. At least your toe will be pointing down the ground rather than to mid off in that initial movement.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah many players open up the stance to help with not getting out LBW but he kinda took it to pretty ridiculous levels though.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i have a problem with getting smacked high on the back thigh by faster bowlers, not in a leg before way it just really ****in' hurts

solved it by moving that back leg a touch squarer to faster bowlers, it helps me to get a good clear forward defensive arc too for reference

cnerd123

likes this
i have a problem with getting smacked high on the back thigh by faster bowlers, not in a leg before way it just really ****in' hurts

solved it by moving that back leg a touch squarer to faster bowlers, it helps me to get a good clear forward defensive arc too for reference
At the risk of going off topic...I have the same problem and have tried the same solution. The problem now is I can't get in line with the ball when its around or outside of. I need to start going back and across as the bowler runs in, and then I suddenly become an LBW candidate.

Batting is so frustrating.

Shady Slim

International Coach
tbh most of the time i have to go crazy stance is in the nets on training nights

see all of the grades train together and those second graders bowl ****ing fast

cnerd123

likes this
Lol. For me its been a very recent revelation. I used to be fine against pace (in the sense that I'd never actually be beaten for speed), then this one ****er shows up and is the quickest bowler I have ever played against. Lost my stumps a few times and was genuinely worried I'd get hit. So depressing :(

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Get the feeling he developed it to avoid playing across his front leg. It makes sense to do it if you're prone to Watsoning. At least your toe will be pointing down the ground rather than to mid off in that initial movement.
Also means that his head is dead still and perfectly level as the ball is released -- he's staring straight down the pitch, not turning his neck and looking over his shoulder. I know that when I'm batting poorly, its often because I'm misaligned with the bowler (feet and shoulder not in the right initial positions), or my head is falling over to the off side. Eyes aren't level so you pick the ball up a fraction later than you should, your head is in the wrong spot so your feet don't move properly, you fall over and the inswinger traps you for a Golden Watson.

And the other thing is, Shiv's trigger movement brought him into a relatively orthodox stance as the ball was actually delivered.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Lol. For me its been a very recent revelation. I used to be fine against pace (in the sense that I'd never actually be beaten for speed), then this one ****er shows up and is the quickest bowler I have ever played against. Lost my stumps a few times and was genuinely worried I'd get hit. So depressing :(
Chuck on an inner thigh guard and keep facing the bloke. You'll get used to it.

Reminds me of a match in which some ridiculously quick, huge baseballer was bowling serious heat. Easily carrying 30m+ at head height to the 'keeper (on astroturf so he's not full Shaun Tait pace or anything remotely close, but still). After surviving a few overs and as my reactions began to adjust, I was struggling more with the sharpish-by-usual-standards outswing bowler down the other end -- I was reacting way too quickly because I had to down the other end. Started batting three feet out of my crease and charging further down at him to make it feel quick enough.

tl;dr you adjust to pace with enough exposure

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I ve been Watson'd out so many times its embarrassing. If I was ever batting well though, it was funny how less of a stretch my trigger front foot movement was.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
This might be just me, but I hate that the sky pundits just stand during intervals. It makes me really uncomfortable watching them stand awkwardly against that high table while discussing the game. Just sit in chairs like you used to ffs. It will make the viewer more comfortable.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This might be just me, but I hate that the sky pundits just stand during intervals. It makes me really uncomfortable watching them stand awkwardly against that high table while discussing the game. Just sit in chairs like you used to ffs. It will make the viewer more comfortable.
Should all be replaced by the South Park gang imo