• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Marsh vs Ben Stokes thread

91Jmay

International Coach
Taking over the tour thread so thought I'd start it here. I am on the fence who is the better bowler, really depends on more what your team needs. Think Stokes is comfortably the better and more destructive batsmen though. Marsh clearly a great timer of the ball but looked absolutely hopeless against sideways movement in England (didn't have the technique to cope with it) and his FC record being ordinary doesn't fill me with much confidence in him. Clearly his Test batting career has been really hard for him so far because he hasn't had a proper chance.

Who is better in 5 years time?

Spark

Global Moderator
MMarsh's FC record is a bit of a misnomer tbh, about half of it was when he was batting #8 as a bowling all-rounder and pretty obviously not ready for FC cricket as a batsman (he was about 20-21 at the time, in fairness). Since he moved up to the top six for WA his record is actually pretty decent. Technique needs a lot of work, obviously, but even before that the bloke needs a proper hit in a standard Test match situation: 4/150 or 4/200, rather than 4/40 or 4/400.

Stokes having both inswinger and outswinger, and having such good control of it too, makes him such a weapon in English conditions though. I dunno if Stokes' style of bowling is really what you necessarily want from your 5th bowler though all the time, as incredibly useful as it can be, whereas Marsh's bowling is basically made-to-order for his role (he does actually have a very nice outswinger and I've seen him reverse it)

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The one who gets injured less is probably better.

Being serious though not seen enough of Marsh as a batsman to give a fair comparison.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not even fair considering Stoke just hit 250 in no time at all and Marsh has yet to get a test fifty in like 15 attempts but I was never impressed with Mitch to begin with even when he was apparently tearing it up domestically. I thought Stokes was a great bat when he got that Ashes ton down under and even though there was a lean period between that and the 250 (I think, cbf checking stats) his 250 is certainly not a surprise, Mitch even getting 150 in a test would surprise me greatly.

Actually think Shaun has a far better technique(than his bro) but I don't want him in the team either, I spose his problems are more mental

edit - I think Stokes and Mitch are both good bowlers but I've never been one to get heaps excited or even notice medium pacers really

second edit - Mitch got an 87, dunno how I completely forgot that. Need to follow this sport more closely before having an opinion it seems

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
It's not even fair considering Stoke just hit 250 in no time at all and Marsh has yet to get a test fifty in like 15 attempts but I was never impressed with Mitch to begin with even when he was apparently tearing it up domestically. I thought Stokes was a great bat when he got that Ashes ton down under and even though there was a lean period between that and the 250 (I think, cbf checking stats) his 250 is certainly not a surprise, Mitch even getting 150 in a test would surprise me greatly.

Actually think Shaun has a far better technique but I don't want him in the team either, I spose his problems are more mental
Yeah I agree the timing is unfair of me, but it came from tour thread. Marsh needs a proper chance to bat, New Zealand a huge series for him.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes in a fairly short period has demonstrated the ability to single handedly change the course of a game within a short span of time. This is an extremely rare quality, and only great players are able to do this consistently, throughout their career. Stokes, has done it a few times already within a 2 year test career. If he can maintain this growth, fitness and hard work, there is no stopping him.

Marsh is not even part of the conversation so far at this point.

Spark

Global Moderator

Actually think Shaun has a far better technique(than his bro) but I don't want him in the team either, I spose his problems are more mental

edit - I think Stokes and Mitch are both good bowlers but I've never been one to get heaps excited or even notice medium pacers really

second edit - Mitch got an 87, dunno how I completely forgot that. Need to follow this sport more closely before having an opinion it seems
Neither of them are medium pacers either...

mr_mister

i have high standards for what I even consider to be fast-medium

edit - scratch that douchey comment and the earlier one. I just tend to not notice or get excited about 5th bowlers(unless they're spinners). It's rare I even enjoy watching quicks bowl at all unless they have the new ball and can destroy teams. Childish mentality perhaps but I generally love watching batsman dominate and ton up. Been like this ever since I was very young

Last edited:

mr_mister

yeah tldr version: basically I don't even follow countries so to speak. I just follow whichever team is batting and hope they do well. It's been like this since Australia won 16 on the trot when I was little. I was so bored of it I started praying for them to lose. I'm sure others around my age had the same experience. Except in the Ashes of course they should end up 5-0 to us everytime

.....So disregard my opinion of bowlers

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

edit - scratch that douchey comment and the earlier one. I just tend to not notice or get excited about 5th bowlers(unless they're spinners). It's rare I even enjoy watching quicks bowl at all unless they have the new ball and can destroy teams. Childish mentality perhaps but I generally love watching batsman dominate and ton up. Been like this ever since I was very young
Absolutely nothing wrong with that mate. That's what the big show is there for :D

harsh.ag

yeah tldr version: basically I don't even follow countries so to speak. I just follow whichever team is batting and hope they do well. It's been like this since Australia won 16 on the trot when I was little. I was so bored of it I started praying for them to lose. I'm sure others around my age had the same experience. Except in the Ashes of course they should end up 5-0 to us everytime

.....So disregard my opinion of bowlers
That escalated quickly

Blanco

Cricket Spectator
Right now, Stokes the better bat and Mitch Marsh the better bowler. The stats justify this view. In five years time, however, I think Marsh will be the better of the two batting and bowling wise. Stokes doesn't have the technique to score runs consistently while with MMarsh I think it all has to do with confidence and right now he is very low in confidence.Marsh batting technique is very good imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Idk about MMarsh's technique yet tbh. Talent is there to burn, but he's so static and leaden-footen at the crease. But that might be a product of him not really knowing what to do when he gets to the crease at 4/a million and hence not getting his feet working properly.

I really do think Aus should stick with him as a project player, but his bowling might be carrying him for a while. That Henriques has horrendous luck with injuries and Faulkner is a drunk driver helps his case.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Right now, Stokes the better bat and Mitch Marsh the better bowler. The stats justify this view. In five years time, however, I think Marsh will be the better of the two batting and bowling wise. Stokes doesn't have the technique to score runs consistently while with MMarsh I think it all has to do with confidence and right now he is very low in confidence.Marsh batting technique is very good imo.
Good first post :) Marsh did struggle in England with the bat though, and it seemed like it was a technical issue with sideways movement. Thoughts?