• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Marsh vs Ben Stokes thread

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If poor technique helps you score fastest double hundred against the number 1 team, then good riddance to technique I'd say.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I agree but as evidence of him having amazing technique as opposed to an amazing eye, it's not a great example. Dhoni is a great ball-striker too, after all.
The ton against NZ last summer was a better way of showing how good he can be. Good attack put to sword in no time.

91Jmay

International Coach
Stokes technique isn't bad at all. Puzzled by some of the comments here to be honest. He has a great defensive game, and gets out because of the way he plays more than anything.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I agree but as evidence of him having amazing technique as opposed to an amazing eye, it's not a great example. Dhoni is a great ball-striker too, after all.
Didn't use that as evidence of amazing technique. I was not disputing the criticism of Stokes' technique. I don't really understand technique all that well to comment on it. But if you score a test match double century, that's a pretty special thing for me. So for me Stokes is the better player.

Eh, the #1 team is a bit of a misnomer without Steyn or Philander.
You play the opposition you face. In the context of this thread, how many people think Mitchell Marsh would score a 250 against Morkel, Rabada, Morris and Piedt?

Last edited:

Blanco

Cricket Spectator
Good first post :) Marsh did struggle in England with the bat though, and it seemed like it was a technical issue with sideways movement. Thoughts?
I would say it's more an Australian thing, nowadays most Australia batters struggle against swing.Did he play in England before this tour? I bet he didn't.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Stokes is better at all three disciplines at the moment. The first all-rounder since Kallis that looks like he could eventually average 40 with the bat and 30 with the ball.

Mitch has promise but he's yet to deliver with the bat (although he's yet to be unleashed on the home roads) or ball and having seen only a bit of him he reminds me of Watson. I guess he could become Australia's version of Hoggard but he's got to develop a lot.

Spark

Global Moderator
Stokes is better at all three disciplines at the moment. The first all-rounder since Kallis that looks like he could eventually average 40 with the bat and 30 with the ball.

Mitch has promise but he's yet to deliver with the bat (although he's yet to be unleashed on the home roads) or ball and having seen only a bit of him he reminds me of Watson. I guess he could become Australia's version of Hoggard but he's got to develop a lot.
He isn't like Hoggard or Watson as a bowler at all, lol. He's a hit the deck bowler who gets extra bounce, and he's far exceeded both expectations and role requirements as a bowler.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
He's a hit the deck bowler who gets extra bounce, and he's far exceeded both expectations and role requirements as a bowler.
Fair enough, I've only seen a little of him in England and against NZ. Is he a bit like Bresnan then or am I really taking the p*ss?

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I haven't seen Marsh enough times to have an opinion. Stokes on the other hand looks the goods. From what I've seen, he will be averaging 40 with the bat and 30 with the ball. Massive talent. Genuine all rounder.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol, Stokes will NOT eventually average <30 with the ball. I'll even be surprised if he gets <35, although I wouldn't rule that out entirely.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah stokes will definitely average under 35 with the ball because like Kallis he's not a workhorse. He gets brought in to get a wicket and if he doesn't he gets taken off.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nah stokes will definitely average under 35 with the ball because like Kallis he's not a workhorse. He gets brought in to get a wicket and if he doesn't he gets taken off.
Unlike Kallis, Stokes seems to revel in being considered more important. His superior record batting in the top 6 has been talked about a lot - 42.8 at 6 compared to 19 at 7/8/9. But less obvious are his bowling averages at 1st change, 2nd change and 3rd change, which are 25.91, 38.7 and 72.44 respectively.

Maybe we should get him to open the batting and bowling.