• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England All Time XI

a massive zebra

International Captain
ENGLAND

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Walter Hammond
Denis Compton
Ken Barrington
Ian Botham
Alan Knott
Harold Larwood
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Sydney Barnes

12th Man: WG Grace

ENGLAND 'A'

Herbert Sutcliffe
Geoff Boycott
Peter May
Prince Ranjitsinhji
Ted Dexter
Les Ames
Wilfred Rhodes
Hedley Verity
Alec Bedser
Brian Statham
Bob Willis

12th Man: Derek Underwood

What do you think? What about Gooch, Stewart, Gower, Atherton, Cowdrey, Edrich, Graveney, Woolley, Evans, Gough, Snow, Lock, Tate, Tyson & Richarson?

Craig

World Traveller
Bob Talyor might consider himself unlucky not to make the squad.

Either way you have a great England and England 'A' team.

Swervy

International Captain
Surprised Richard hasnt suggested Giles or Croft in there in place of Laker (sorry couldnt resist:D )

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I'd have Sutcliffe in the team (either opening or batting at 3) with both Hobbs and Hutton. Bat Barrington and Hammond in the middle order. Knott the keepeer batting 8.

Don't know whether you'd play Botham at 6 and have the extra bowler, or bat him at 8 and play 6 batsmen, allrounder, keeper, 3 bowlers......

if you went botham at 6 than you'd have the same bowling line up you said except Bedser for Larwood.

If you batted Botham at 7, Compton would bat 6. Laker, Trueman and Barnes would be your bowlers alongside Botham.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmmm....

1. J Hobbs
2. H Sutcliffe
3. G Gooch
4. D Compton
5. G Boycott
6. C Cowdrey
7. I Botham
8. R Russell
9. J Laker
10. F Trueman
11. B Statham

a massive zebra

International Captain
Very unbalanced - only four bowlers.

No Hammond, Barrington, Barnes? :O

Hammond nearly 7000 runs at 58, a treble century, 83 wickets and one of the greatest slip fielders ever. How do you manage to drop him? :D

Barnes, Englands best ever bowler with 7 wickets per match, strike rate of 41 and average of 16 (all unmatched in the 150 wicket club), and 24 five wicket hauls in 27 matches! A certainty for me.

Barrington was not the most exciting player ever but surely one of the most reliable. Foolish to leave him out.

Cowdrey no double centuries, test average 44, not amazing.

Gooch was good while captain but overall we have had better players.

Maybe you should be in the England selection panel! :lol:

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Have to have WG Grace in my XI, if not the first name down. His impact as an individual on the game and the societies it exists in was the greatest with the possible exception of Bradman during the depression era.
Not fair to look purely at averages as the tracks Grace played were, in the main, worse than very bad by modern standards.

Certs for my side in no order are Grace, Hammond, Hobbs and Barnes. Trueman and Botham are near as good enough.
Rest is pretty tight although I'd probably find a place for Larwood. And Mike Brearley would be my non-playing captain....and Jardine would be his deputy.

a massive zebra

International Captain
raju said:
Have to have WG Grace in my XI, if not the first name down. His impact as an individual on the game and the societies it exists in was the greatest with the possible exception of Bradman during the depression era.
Not fair to look purely at averages as the tracks Grace played were, in the main, worse than very bad by modern standards.

Certs for my side in no order are Grace, Hammond, Hobbs and Barnes. Trueman and Botham are near as good enough.
Rest is pretty tight although I'd probably find a place for Larwood. And Mike Brearley would be my non-playing captain....and Jardine would be his deputy.
Good points.

I wanted to include Grace but failed to find a place for him. The 11 players selected are all fantastic. Who would you drop from my side to accomodate him?

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:

Maybe you should be in the England selection panel! :lol:

Unfortunatly i didnt fit the criteria... I didnt pick Harmison, Chris Read, or guys like Richard Dawson for that matter :lol:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Unfortunatly i didnt fit the criteria... I didnt pick guys like... Richard Dawson for that matter :lol:
Have Yorkshire got rid of him yet? Surely, along with EAR De Silva, the worst bowler ever to play test cricket.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
a massive zebra said:
Good points.

I wanted to include Grace but failed to find a place for him. The 11 players selected are all fantastic. Who would you drop from my side to accomodate him?
Barrington or Compton probably. Great players both but IMO Grace was more dominant than any other English player in the era they performed in....and his era lasted a good old stretch too.

Swervy

International Captain
raju said:
Barrington or Compton probably. Great players both but IMO Grace was more dominant than any other English player in the era they performed in....and his era lasted a good old stretch too.
Compton:18 centuries in a season is pretty dominant

a massive zebra

International Captain
raju said:
His era did last for a good stretch but he was only truely dominant between 1866-80. After then he was still one of the best players for another 20 years, but others were more than a match for him (Shrewsbury, Ranji etc)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Have Yorkshire got rid of him yet? Surely, along with EAR De Silva, the worst bowler ever to play test cricket.
Yep, him and Ronnie Irani are the worst players i've ever seen. Terrible.

By the way, nobody say a word about Bangladesh. It just ain't fair.:( :saint: :)

Craig

World Traveller
Swervy said:
Surprised Richard hasnt suggested Giles or Croft in there in place of Laker (sorry couldnt resist:D )
Richard doesnt rate Giles. Marc does.

I would have Verity in my 1st team not the 'A' team.

Andre

International Regular
I'm suprised how Alec Bedser can be consistently overlooked of the side - IMO, he's a walk-up start.