• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England All Time XI

Swervy

International Captain
raju said:
Jeez...didn't realise that. That is impressive.
and he wasnt a bad bowler either..i would be tempted to go with maybe 2 frontline bowlers (Truman,Larwood,Tyson maybe...maybe Bedser.....), Botham (at his peak was a brilliant bowler) and Laker,and use someone like Compton and hammond as a fifth option.

1.Hobbs
2.Boycott (as much as it pains me)
3.Compton
4.Hammond
5.May
6.Barrington
7.Botham
8.Knott
9.Laker
10.Larwood
11.Truman

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:

1.Hobbs
2.Boycott (as much as it pains me)
3.Compton
4.Hammond
5.May
6.Barrington
7.Botham
8.Knott
9.Laker
10.Larwood
11.Truman
Surely you have to pick Barnes? He was the first bowler on my teamsheet without a doubt.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
What's wrong with Read?
IMO he is vastly inferior to Geraint Jones atm, and Rob Turner or Paul Nixon should have played instead of that horrible Read/Foster experimental phase....

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Surely you have to pick Barnes? He was the first bowler on my teamsheet without a doubt.
you may well be right..i only thought of it off the top of my head

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In what way is Read inferior to Jones?

And if this is so, how come Rod Marsh doesn't think that?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
i only thought of it off the top of my head
Pretty good effort then! I would advise you to drop May and move everyone else up one position in the the order. Barnes at 11. Trueman, Larwood, Barnes, Laker, Botham and Hammond is a formidable attack.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Pretty good effort then! I would advise you to drop May and move everyone else up one position in the the order. Barnes at 11. Trueman, Larwood, Barnes, Laker, Botham and Hammond is a formidable attack.
ahhh but it is already a formidible attack as it is..ok take larwood out..put Barnes in..i dont think you need another bowler in there....i like seeing a deeper batting line up.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
ahhh but it is already a formidible attack as it is..ok take larwood out..put Barnes in..i dont think you need another bowler in there....i like seeing a deeper batting line up.
Yes you are right, but I prefer to have more than three pure bowlers, its a matter of opinion really. Im sure the top five would score plenty of runs plus Botham and Knott, but each to his own I suppose. If one of Trueman, Larwood and Laker has to be dropped, the unlucky man must be Larwood - dropping Laker would create a very 'samey' attack and Trueman is England's greatest fast bowler. Excluding bodyline, Larwood's record is a very James Andersonesque 45 wickets at 34.84. Not exactly what legends are made of.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
ENGLAND

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Walter Hammond
Denis Compton
Ken Barrington
Ian Botham
Alan Knott
Harold Larwood
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Sydney Barnes

12th Man: WG Grace

ENGLAND 'A'

Herbert Sutcliffe
Geoff Boycott
Peter May
Prince Ranjitsinhji
Ted Dexter
Les Ames
Wilfred Rhodes
Hedley Verity
Alec Bedser
Brian Statham
Bob Willis

12th Man: Derek Underwood

What do you think? What about Gooch, Stewart, Gower, Atherton, Cowdrey, Edrich, Graveney, Woolley, Evans, Gough, Snow, Lock, Tate, Tyson & Richarson?
Very good selections both. Difficult to find many flaws. Just a few comments.

1) Bob Willis is out of his depth. Tate, Tyson, Statham...anyone.
2) Two left arm spinners in the A team.
3) Ames seems to have been selected on batting merits. Evans ans Bob Taylor have better keeping credentials than him and would fight for a place in the main team too.
4) I am tempted to swap May and Barrington between the two teams.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
England

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Wally Hammond
Dennis Compton
Michael Vaughan
Alex Stewart
Ian Botham
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Brian Statham
Sydney Barnes

England A

WG Grace
Herbert Sutcliffe
Ken Barrington
Graham Gooch
Peter May
Ted Dexter
Alan Knott
Harold Larwood
Alec Bedser
Bob Willis
Derek Underwood

JBH001

International Regular
Top sides chosen Zebra.

My all time England XII

1. Jack Hobbs
2. W. G Grace (c)
3. Walter Hammond
4. Peter May
5. Ken Barrington
6. Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott (wk)
8. Fred Trueman
9. Harold Larwood
10. Jim Laker
11. Derek Underwood
12. Sydney Barnes

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a massive zebra said:
Have Yorkshire got rid of him yet? Surely, along with EAR De Silva, the worst bowler ever to play test cricket.
Ah, but last check Yorkshire doesn't play Test cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jamee999 said:
England

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Wally Hammond
Dennis Compton
Michael Vaughan
Alex Stewart
Ian Botham
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Brian Statham
Sydney Barnes
I was just wondering who would be the first idio... er uneducated person ;) to name Vaughan in an all-time XI.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Ahh, I love picking all-time teams. It can lead to hours of healthy debate.

I'm amazed that people are placing Botham at number six. At his peak he was an explosive top six batsman, but in an all time side you want better than that for a top six batsman (check out my all-time Pakistan team re: Imran to see how much mileage I can get out of one opinion.)

So. My all time England team:

1.Hobbs
2.Sutcliffe
3.Hutton
4.Hammond
5.Barrington
6.Grace (c)
7.Botham
8.Knott
9.Laker
10.Trueman
11.Barnes
12. Lohmann

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I was just wondering who would be the first idio... er uneducated person ;) to name Vaughan in an all-time XI.
In 5 years you'll be the idiot..perhaps.maybe.with some luck

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's an all-time England team - so Stewart is definitely in consideration seeing as he is one of the best wicket-keeper batsmen in history.