• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name a country, then name the best ever batting tail they produced

Shady Slim

International Coach
australia's tail from the best ashes recently was strong

i know for sure someone edgy's gonna come along and say "hurr but then why did they lose 3-2" you know what i mean though

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
NZ Coach Glenn Turner used to stack his ODI sides with batting pretty much all the way down.

No better example than this from 1996, Shane Thomson at 9 (scored test centuries batting at 5), Gavin Larsen (Batted 4-5 in FC cricket) at 10 and Dion Nash (highest test score of 89 and averaged 23 IIRC).

2nd ODI: West Indies v New Zealand at Port of Spain, Mar 29, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
I wonder how Turner would go as a T20 coach, or as the coach of the BCs today. I think Turner was a genius (convinced by his commentary where he had an almost psychic ability to predict where the batsman would try and hit the ball). He was ahead of his time in many ways, and if his tenure had not coincided with a weak era for NZ cricket he could have been legendary.

He was the guy who really switched me onto the fact that it was better for the team in most situations for a player to score 35(35) than 50(80), and that it's worth going for 270 all out rather than limping to 250/6. Probably he didn't have the talent at his disposal for an aggressive strategy to work, but what might have been if he had.

The strength of a tail doesn't interest me particularly in ODIs because it's uncommon for it to bat much. On the other hand I think the importance of the tail in Test cricket is underrated. KW is a legend for averaging 50 instead of the usual 40, but if your number 9 or 10 averages 20 instead of 10 that will work out to be almost as many runs added to the team.

Spark

Global Moderator
australia's tail from the best ashes recently was strong

i know for sure someone edgy's gonna come along and say "hurr but then why did they lose 3-2" you know what i mean though
Hmm tbh I'd say our tail was kind of disappointing during the Ashes. There were a few decent scores, but I expected more from them.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yep agree with this, we had Richard Illingworth and a team full of centurions once* in the 90s and it was a bit ****, this lot seemed to perform consistently, even Jimmeh formed a fair few partnerships with the others, even if he only deadbatted to about 5.

* mind you looking at the scorecard in the second innings it may have been the batsmen that let us down more.
meanwhile windies with a fricking huge tail

Athlai

Not Terrible
There's also Vettori Franklin Mills Martin at one point. Martin keeping NZ from cleaning up in this. Amazing how strong our tail was over the 2000s despite having possibly the worst batsman ever to play a Test taking up space.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Flem274*

123/5
90s and early 00s south africa are ridiculously good at this, most likely the best

bangladesh usually stack the batting so the one where abul hasan tonned up might be a goodie

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dunno if this ever happened but it might've and it would've been pretty decent:

Gilchrist - Warne - Bichel - Gillespie - Kaspa

And recent Australia with:

Johnson - Starc - Hazelwood - Lyon

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The Cairns, Parore, Nash, Vettori engine room at 7 to 10 was great. Although Vetorri was just a cameo guy back then. And in the end Parore under performed over his whole career.

Was one test in the 99 tour of Englan when Harris replaced Allott. Had Harris at 10 and Vetorri at 11.

Must have been some good Cairns, Oram, Baz, Vettori combos around 04?

At its time; the Hadlee, Smith, Bracewell plus with L Cairns or Sneddon at 10 was great.

Stefan9

International Debutant
SA late 1990's/early 2000's Boucher,Klusener,Pollock,Boje,Donald. All except Donald had test 100's.

91Jmay

International Coach
^They had Andrew Hall and Paul Harris who could bat later on as well. Always had bowlers who can bat.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a Test where we had Agar, Pattinson, Starc and Siddle in it. Siddle the main weak link, and even he's far from the worst batsman of all-time.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lindwall's last series in India saw a tail of

Benaud, Davidson, McKay, Lindwall, Meckiff

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
England ashes tour 98/99

Hegg
Tudor
Headley
Gough
Such

:laugh:
Aus also had a pretty weak tail that series (Healy, Warne, MacGill, Miller, McGrath in that game); in fact that England tail outscored their Aussie counterparts by 68 to 38.

England's tail was even worse against NZ the following summer: Irani, Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell, Giddins scored a grand total of 37.