• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The primary value of a cricketer is in...

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
his ability to win games or to entertain the crowd?

Was thinking about this with special reference to the McGrath vs. Wasim debate. I can grudgingly concede that if I wanted to get a batsman out I'd pick McGrath. But if I wanted to be entertained I would definitely choose Wasim.

Which has more value for a cricketer, skill value or entertainment value, is not clear.

91Jmay

International Coach
It is a valid Q. As a neutral you are going to pick the entertainer but for my team I'd always want the match winner.

Stapel

International Regular

Was thinking about this with special reference to the McGrath vs. Wasim debate. I can grudgingly concede that if I wanted to get a batsman out I'd pick McGrath. But if I wanted to be entertained I would definitely choose Wasim.

Which has more value for a cricketer, skill value or entertainment value, is not clear.
It's not so easy to define what entertaining the crowd is, right?

And no sane selector will pick players on entertainment value.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
ABD hit a few sixes, entertained in the current test series. However, as a neutral I was pissed as he wasn't playing effectively. Effectiveness on the field is entertaining enough for me. If I want to be entertained more, I'll watch a circus.

Last edited:

wowitspink

Cricket Spectator
The ability to play for the team, country and win important games. If the batsman or bowler is entertaining too then awesome. If he isn't but comes good when needed most then I would take that.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Effectiveness with style (De Villiers) > Boring but effective (Alastair Cook) > Exciting but erratic (Afridi) > Dull and mediocre (Akash Chopra?)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Winning the game is the most entertaining thing they can do, because the real joy of sport comes in following the narrative and being a part of it as it unfolds.

TNT

Banned
I doubt you will find many Aussie supporters found McGrath boring. I found him entertaining and just loved how you could see the batsmen struggle to cope with him, watching him set a batsman up or strangle them was very entertaining. I can see how neutral or opposing supporters found him boring though. Everyone will have different expectations from a match, sometimes you just want a close match and other times you just want your team to crush the opposition.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Primary value => match winning ability. Pretty sure most teams would prefer Jaques Kallis over Glenn Maxwell.

Entertaining the crowd is important as well though.

Burgey

The currency of cricket is runs and wickets. You don't get results by beautifully caressing a ball down on one knee straight to cover.

cnerd123

likes this

A cricketer's value really depends on who is evaluating it though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I rate Wasim as the most talented bowler that I have ever seen but was generally fascinated by McGrath as his ability to make the incredibly difficult (e.g. bowling the ball on the spot consistently and working out batsmen in a heartbeat) look ridiculously easy was the true mark of genius for me