• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the ICC pay International Cricketers?

cnerd123

likes this
AB de Villiers' comments should ring alarm bells | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

With plenty of the non-Big 3 nations struggling financially, and the rise of several lucrative T20 leagues, international cricketers for the first time have the choice between playing for their country or playing for their wallets.

While every young cricketer dreams of one day playing for their country, the inability of some of these countries to pay their cricketers a decent salary (or indeed, even pay them at all), along with the presence dysfunctional, inept or corrupt administrators, may be enough to push some of these young players into pursuing a career being a T20 mercenary for hire.

We have already seen Chris Gayle give up on the West Indies for several reasons, with plenty of very talented cricketers having followed suit, while even the likes of Sanga and Mahela retired with a few years of cricket left in them - partly to fill their wallets playing in various leagues around the world, and partly out of frustration from having to deal with the SLCB.

ABDV's recent comments about the challenges faced by cricketers having to pick between demanding international schedules and earning a quick buck T20 has been quite concerning. Surely this shouldn't be a choice to begin with right? Surely it's International cricket first, everything else second?

But that's not the reality we face.

So the question here is, should the ICC (AKA the Big 3) be stepping up and making sure that international cricketers all around the world earn a good salary, regardless of which country they play for?

The Pros of this are obvious. Redistributing funds in order to ensure the best talent in the world is able to play Test cricket is a big step towards ensuring the format remains healthy and competitive. It is the pinnacle of the sport, and thus should be played by the very best cricketers available to each nation.

On the other hand, the ICC footing the bill means putting cash in the hands of corrupt, inept boards such as the SLCB, WICB and ZCB. The struggles faced by cricketers of these countries is in no small part down to terrible leadership and management from their cricketing boards. By stepping in to bail them out, we are essentially absolving them of the consequences of their poor leadership. Wouldn't that money be better spent on helping non-Test nations that are well run (see Ireland) work towards Test status?

Discuss.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It needs to be like rugby - defined windows for domestic T20 competitions, defined windows for international matches. This would take the conflict away as T20s and international matches wouldn't be played at the same time.

Would probably have to work around the IPL for this to be feasible.

TNT

Banned
Will never work, the only way it could come to fruition before collapsing would be for the ICC to take control of CA, BCCI and ECB.

I cant believe people even think this could work.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
absurd, obviously

But it would be funny to see India/Aus/Eng break away from rest of the world because ICC limited their profits, then the rest of world cricket collapsing financially and all the players ending up with exponentially less money as a result

TheJediBrah

Was hoping for more of a ideological discussion rather than a feasibility one.
Similar to the quotas thread, you're not going to find anyone who disagrees with such implausible but well intentioned ideas. It wouldn't be much of a discussion.

Feasibility is actually a realistic factor.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't this is such a grandslam of an idea tho. There are some pretty glaring flaws with it.

The first being what I said in the OP - incompetent boards such the WICB and SLCB won't suffer consequences of their mismanagement. Both sides have seen talent stop playing for them due to financial reasons. If the players were being paid by the ICC, they would continue to benefit from their presence despite terrible leadership. Zimbabwe cricket would still be strong despite Mugabe running it into the ground and using it to leach funds for himself. Should the ICC be undertaking policies that, if not encourage, certainly don't deter such behaviour?

Secondly, attempts to commercialize the game within a country tends to lead to more professional, more transparent, more meritocratic systems. It's in a country's best interest if their own cricket board gets their house in order. Being able to pay players more hinges on earning more, and earning more requires creating an attractive product that is well managed. If cricket boards aren't required to pay their players, they lose an incentive to develop and spread the game within their country. The ICC picking up the tab may lead to healthier Test cricket in the short run, but may hinder cricket's growth in the long run.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The NatWest T20 Blast, the IPL, and the Big Bash have all been incredibly successful and lucrative in Eng, India and Aus. Pulling 80,000 to a domestic match is unreal.

What needs to happen is more co-ordination. The money now (seems to be) in domestic T20 and when Eng/Aus/India play against each other.

The ICC needs to:

- play a role in scheduling so that international test cricket never clashes with the big T20 domestic comps, so that players from poorer nations can earn their cash in other nations
- somehow legislate that players who want to play in the domestic comps should also make themselves avail for tests for their nations
- do away with drawn out 50 over series
- make test series shorter in duration, 2 tests back to back is plenty when the teams playing each other aren't two of Aus/Ind/Eng (and perhaps SA)
- phase out 50 over cricket over the next 15 years. It saddens me because I like the format, but I just don't think there's room

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
The NatWest T20 Blast, the IPL, and the Big Bash have all been incredibly successful and lucrative in Eng, India and Aus. Pulling 80,000 to a domestic match is unreal.

What needs to happen is more co-ordination. The money now (seems to be) in domestic T20 and when Eng/Aus/India play against each other.

The ICC needs to:

- play a role in scheduling so that international test cricket never clashes with the big T20 domestic comps, so that players from poorer nations can earn their cash in other nations
- somehow legislate that players who want to play in the domestic comps should also make themselves avail for tests for their nations
- do away with drawn out 50 over series
- make test series shorter in duration, 2 tests back to back is plenty when the teams playing each other aren't two of Aus/Ind/Eng (and perhaps SA)
- phase out 50 over cricket over the next 15 years. It saddens me because I like the format, but I just don't think there's room
You're joking right? The World Cup is one of the world's most watched sporting competitions. Theres no way the 50 over format goes anywhere.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
T20 windows need to be there. Else it will continue to eat away cricket. Have been rallying about the window for ages now.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I don't think there's room for domestic 50 over matches. There's definitely room for international ones. On the other hand, I don't know if there's room for international T20s. People won't pay to see a domestic 50 over game but they'll pay to see a domestic T20. If they will pay to see an international 50 over game, why provide less of a product (and arguably one of a lower quality) by offering international T20s?

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I had an idea when reading the interview with the CEO of Hong Kong cricket published on Cricinfo today. Why doesn't the BCCI invite 4-8 Associate teams over for warm ups against IPL teams before the IPL actually starts? It will be great exposure for these Associate teams to play in the cauldron of Indian cricket and it serves as a great talent scouting opportunity as well. An alternative is to schedule these matches in the middle of the IPL (over a weekend), where the main players can be given some much needed time off, and the IPL teams can use this as an opportunity to play their other players / young players and see if any of them should be fast-tracked to the senior team.

It's a bit far-fetched, but I only see positives for everyone in this.

Niall

International Coach
T20 windows need to be there. Else it will continue to eat away cricket. Have been rallying about the window for ages now.
This.

How tough must it be for the likes of players who are toiling away in losing causes in average test teams when they see players from the same country earning 10 times their salary for much less work?

International cricket will have to be reduced sadly, the t20 leagues are here to stay especially as so many nations rely on them to pay the bills.

flibbertyjibber

You're joking right? The World Cup is one of the world's most watched sporting competitions. Theres no way the 50 over format goes anywhere.
I agree, I hardly watch any pyjama cricket but I do like the World Cup. Needs the smaller nations in it though as Ireland have given so much to the last 2 and Kenya did previously to that.

No need to make comments about England being a smaller nation either, we stay in for comedy value.

91Jmay

International Coach
I had an idea when reading the interview with the CEO of Hong Kong cricket published on Cricinfo today. Why doesn't the BCCI invite 4-8 Associate teams over for warm ups against IPL teams before the IPL actually starts? It will be great exposure for these Associate teams to play in the cauldron of Indian cricket and it serves as a great talent scouting opportunity as well. An alternative is to schedule these matches in the middle of the IPL (over a weekend), where the main players can be given some much needed time off, and the IPL teams can use this as an opportunity to play their other players / young players and see if any of them should be fast-tracked to the senior team.

It's a bit far-fetched, but I only see positives for everyone in this.
I would imagine international teams would blow a gasket losing their best players so they can play Scotland for the SunRisers and I don't blame them.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nah, *****. It is very much a grand slam of an idea. ICC won't go out of the way to pay cricketers from Sri Lanka etc to for the greater good of cricket. Most of the admins are just keen to make money in the short term off cricket and don't care if it is at the cost of cricket.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Most watched because India.

The 50 over format will go I think, eventually. I'm not joking, As I said, I'd much rather watch a 50 over match than a 20/20 generally, but I just don't think there's room to keep it in the fixture.

The WC is one thing, but it's once every four years.

wowitspink

Cricket Spectator
I think each nation should play only three 3 match test series (total 45 days of test cricket in a year), four 4 match odi series (16 days of odi cricket in a year) and four 3 match t20 series (12 days of t20 in a year). That is enough bilateral cricket in a year for permanent ICC nations. Rest of the time they should be allowed to participate in various t20 leagues. Let's face it, this is the future of cricket. ..of course load will increase when there is an ICC world t20 or 50 over tournament, but the players can cope with that as that happens only once in 2 and 4 years respectively.

indiaholic

International Captain
Sanction three major T20 tournaments for the big three. Adjust all test tours around it.

The other smaller boards are allowed to hold their domestic T20 comps at any other time of the year.. Some portion of the profits from all domestic leagues go to the ICC for the below:

If some players are in the teams for some of the minor leagues and the boards want to play them in the test side, then ICC matches the amount the player would have earned in the T20 league. The player can then choose what he wants to do.