• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the ICC pay International Cricketers?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What if the ICC paid the cricket boards the same as they do now, but a portion of it would be direct paychecks to the cricketers instead?

I suppose a truly corrupt board would have ways of recuperating that "lost" income by instituting membership fees or somesuch for their players.

TNT

Banned
What if the ICC paid the cricket boards the same as they do now, but a portion of it would be direct paychecks to the cricketers instead?

I suppose a truly corrupt board would have ways of recuperating that "lost" income by instituting membership fees or somesuch for their players.
That's crickets biggest problem, corruption has destroyed SL and WI cricket and until that is under control there is no point throwing good money down the drain.

91Jmay

International Coach
South Africa receive that because they provide that value. It isn't a freebie, how many eyeballs watch an ODI between SA and Aus/Ind/Eng because of AB ? Plenty.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa receive that because they provide that value. It isn't a freebie, how many eyeballs watch an ODI between SA and Aus/Ind/Eng because of AB ? Plenty.
what does that have to do with direct funds from the ICC though? Any value they provide will be made from fees, crowds/tv rights etc. when they host or tour the big teams

like, isn't that contradictory? If SA "provided that value" then they would be given that value and wouldn't need charity from the ICC. Purely theoretically speaking of course. SA are obviously valuable to international cricket.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Direct ICC funds come from the World Cup and it's TV deals/sponsorship. The reason SA get that money is because they are an integral part of the world Cup. As I said, this last WC wouldn't have been the same without AB.

TheJediBrah

Direct ICC funds come from the World Cup and it's TV deals/sponsorship. The reason SA get that money is because they are an integral part of the world Cup. As I said, this last WC wouldn't have been the same without AB.
You could say that about most teams though. Any of the Indian players would provide more interest than AB, as would many other players from other sides.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, that is why India get far far more money from the ICC than SA do.

http://www.totalsportek.com/cricket/new-icc-revenue-sharing-model/

India get $586 million (22.9%) of the revenue and England get $295 million (11.7%). Which is 'fair' from a perspective of them bringing in most revenue, but in terms of growing the global game and ensuring other international teams are all competitive it doesn't help.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Yeah, that is why India get far far more money from the ICC than SA do.

ICC Cricket Revenue Sharing Model (What each board will get)

India get $586 million (22.9%) of the revenue and England get $295 million (11.7%). Which is 'fair' from a perspective of them bringing in most revenue, but in terms of growing the global game and ensuring other international teams are all competitive it doesn't help.
sounds about right. Growing the global game would be great and all, but that's not really how economics works.

However I don't think too many people in this thread actually think it's a realistic option, just that it's nice in theory.

91Jmay

International Coach
Well if the people who ran boards actually understood economics they would grow the game, as it gives them larger revenue streams in the future (it is something called 'investment' which you might want to look into) but they are power hungry idiots who are so short termist it is embarrassing.

TheJediBrah

I'd say they're most likely investing about as much as is financially appropriate. You don't make huge profits from leaking money into less-profitable ventures.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'd suggest actually reading about the Big 3 and what they are doing to the international game before making wildly incorrect statements.

TheJediBrah

I'd suggest actually reading about the Big 3 and what they are doing to the international game before making wildly incorrect statements.
come on, don't be ridiculous. Maybe you're a career economist whose spent decades studying the financial aspect of World Cricket and consider yourself more knowledgeable than the group of professionals deciding policy for the ICC, and if so, I'll defer to your judgement.

Otherwise I'll just continue to take your comments as passionate yet ignorant opinions stated with the assuredness as though they were fact.

91Jmay

International Coach
Your insistence that the ICC is run for the good of the game rather than for the interests of the most powerful is cute.

TheJediBrah

Your insistence that the ICC is run for the good of the game rather than for the interests of the most powerful is cute.
I didn't say that at all. I'm saying I'd be willing to bet that it's run to make the most money for the short-to-medium term as is possible.

How it's going to come off long term is anyone's guess.