• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Viv Richards: Who's the greater cricketer?

The greater cricketer

• Total voters

91Jmay

International Coach
That's the thing. I think people are looking wayyyy too much into stats. Iirc imran and hadlee had better stats for the 1980s than Marshall. Marshall isn't hrad and shoulders above imran hadlee steyn donald ambrose holding mcgrath lillee etc. Just like viv isn't greatly better than so many other batsmen. However i think Viv was more instrumental in helping the wi reach great heights than was Marshall. Take Marshall out of thw wi side and you would still have an attack thats ATG and that can hold its own against the best of the best. Take viv out of that team and you can't say that the team would have been that strong without him.
That is as irrelevant as the point you called irrelevant above though. Why is it Marshall's fault that the other bowlers he bowled with (and drastically out bowled) were better than the batsmen Viv batted with? Doesn't have any bearing on their merits as players.

smash84

The Tiger King
That is as irrelevant as the point you called irrelevant above though. Why is it Marshall's fault that the other bowlers he bowled with (and drastically out bowled) were better than the batsmen Viv batted with? Doesn't have any bearing on their merits as players.
My point is that Viv was a more special player and talent. Added more to the side. Marshall was just adding to well oiled machine that many could have done. What Viv was doing not many could.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think people also tend to remember Marshall more fondly because their is a sense of early loss in his story. Tyat he died young.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Viv was the better ODI player...and Marshall was the better test player...so I voted for Marshall

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marshall's numbers are just amazing.. that combination of average, SR and WPM. Dominated in every possible type of environment against all oppositions. Could even bat a bit.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
My point is that Viv was a more special player and talent. Added more to the side. Marshall was just adding to well oiled machine that many could have done. What Viv was doing not many could.
This post is inaccurate and misleading in so many ways. Marshall was who kept the team at the top. Croft and Roberts departed the scene about the same time that Marshall arrived. Holding hardly ever played an entire series and Garner was clearly the support bowler to MM.

Viv's absolute peak was relatively short lived and at the point when the team really became (at the time and arguably still) the best ever, it was all Maco.

Despite the above mentioned retirements, added to those of Lloyd and the slow decline of Richards and Greening, it was Marshall who kept the team at the top. As the opening bowler, he lost one match.

Marshall wasn't part of a well oiled machine, he was the cog. He was The Man.

91Jmay

International Coach
That is complete garbage. Just shamefully wrong.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
With regards to being head and shoulders above other bowlers, in my opinion he was. When one takes into account his dominance home and away and in all conditions, his stats (average, strike rate, wpm, 5 wicket hauls), contribution to team success, his aggression and tools he had at his disposal, no one can tick all the boxes he could.

McGrath, Steyn and Hadlee are the only ones who come close. Period.

McGrath didn't possess all the different tools that Malcolm had, let Steyn finish his career before we place him, but he is already in the discussion, but in a very strong team he just didn't put his team over the top like McGrath and Marshall did. Hadlee played in the same era and rightly or not was not seen as the best, being rated first being Lillee, then Marshall. His numbers, while also excellent, still is not quite as good as MM's. He was also similar to McGrath and not quite as versatile as Marshall.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Border, Miandad, Gooch, Gavaskar, Crowe. Lots of solid test players as well. Maco faced some decent bats himself.
I'm not saying this to support an argument that Marshall is in some way better than Viv, but as a bowler, Marshall faced some of the ****test Australian teams ever assembled in the 80s. This was when GChappell was refusing to tour overseas and the Aus lineup was Smith, Wood, Ritchie, Hughes, Border and Hookes. Border is an undisputed ATG, Hughes was Hughes and the rest were very very ordinary.

World batting (WIs aside) in the 80s was hardly epic.

Gob

International Coach
"specifically not mentioning that they should"?

What does that even mean?
sigh people here rate players based entirely on their test performances unless someone asks them to not to (which then brings ODI stats) when they create threads. What is so hard to understand?

indiaholic

International Captain
Why are we trying to compare a batsman and a bowler? It is tough enough to compare batsmen across eras, it has to be impossible to compare batsmen and bowlers?

smash84

The Tiger King
Interestingly wisden, espn legends exercise, richie benauds team all had viv ahead of Marshall. Also interestingly you ask most of the players of that generation who played in the 70s and 80s as to who was their toughest bowler that they faced and most reply Lillee. Asked for the best batsman its almost unanimous that its Viv. Too much stat based arguments without having the backdrop being played around here.

Stapel

International Regular
Come on. To each his opinion, but that's just off......

smash84

The Tiger King
Interestingly wisden, espn legends exercise, richie benauds team all had viv ahead of Marshall. Also interestingly you ask most of the players of that generation who played in the 70s and 80s as to who was their toughest bowler that they faced and most reply Lillee. Asked for the best batsman its almost unanimous that its Viv. Too much stat based arguments without having the backdrop being played around here.

Slifer

International Captain
So smash I'm assuming that u agree that Viv was also a better cricketer than Imran??

smash84

The Tiger King
Nopes. I rank him close to Imran because of his intangibles but Imran has whole bunch of intangibles too. I think Viv is probably the greatest wi cricketer ever after sobers (i haven't seen sobers play but given everybody who did ranks him highly so i defer). And ill rank maybe Imran Sobers and Bradman ahead of him. Not sure who else i might rank ahead of him.