• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One more cup of coffee for the road - CW decides the greatest ever keeper -Nom thread

cnerd123

likes this
Yes, but they're being rated for best ever keeper not best ever keeper-batsman.
Nope -

Let people vote based on whatever criteria they want to vote based on. If someone reckons batting factors into the equation, let them vote that way. If people want to vote on glovework alone, so be it.
yeah that might be the best option. allows me to avoid a potentially very divisive decision
And since the colloquial use of the term 'wicketkeeper' broadly encompasses all those who can and cannot bat, I factor batting in.

Really though; how often do you really here media, commentators and even players try and distinguish between 'wicketkeeper' and 'wicketkeeper-batsman'? Any bowler who can bat or any batsman who regularly contributes as a fifth bowler are quick to be labelled as 'allrounders', and we allowed such players in the allrounders voting.

watson

Banned
NED WENMAN- first of the great Kent wicketkeepers, and wore no gloves or pads when keeping to Alfred Mynn in the 1830s.
PERCY SHERWELL - kept to all the SA googly bowlers from 1906-11, including Faulkner.
TIGER SMITH - Frank Foster's keeper in County cricket, standing-up. Kept to Barnes in the 1912 Ashes and was good enough to keep Strudwick out of the team.
JJ KELLY - kept to Trumble, Cotter, and Ernie Jones
ARTHUR 'Dick' LILLEY - kept to Richardson, Lockwood, Hirst, Rhodes, Bosanquet, Blyth, dismissed 84 Australians in Test matches, and on a par with Strudwick.
JOCK CAMERON - Hammond thought him to be the fastest stumper of his time.
JOHN WAITE - held all the SA records till Boucher came along. Formed a great partnership with Hugh Tayfield.
WALLY GROUT - nominated by Deryck Murray as the 'best keeper I have ever seen'.
JACKIE HENDRIKS - kept to Hall, Griffith, Sobers, and Gibbs. Highly regarded by his peers.

Last edited:

Camo999

State 12th Man
I'd be inclined to base it solely on actual keeping. If you include batting too, the best 'keeper of all time in terms of value to a side is probably Don Bradman who was an occasional emergency stand in. Think I might nominate him actually.

Jack Blackham
Bert Oldfield
Bert Strudwick
Don Tallon
Jack Russell
Godfrey Evans
Wasim Bari
Carlton Baugh
Alan Knott
Don Bradman

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jack Russell

This must be on keeping ability only, didn't use batting ability when discussing bowlers or fielding when looking at batsmen so why is it any different here?
You can be selected as a bowler who can't bat.
You can be selected as a batsman who can't field.

But can you be selected as a keeper who can't bat?

It's possible, but supeeeeer rare. Batting ability is an expected component of what it means to be a valuable wicket keeper.

cnerd123

likes this
I'd be inclined to base it solely on actual keeping. If you include batting too, the best 'keeper of all time in terms of value to a side is probably Don Bradman who was an occasional emergency stand in. Think I might nominate him actually.
TBF that Bradman logic extends to everything cricket related. He'd be the best value as an Allrounder (could bowl a bit of legspin) and a Fielder (in terms of runs scored + runs saved - runs conceded). He's basically the one extreme outlier that breaks any attempt to measure a cricketer's value across multiple disciplines.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just going on keeping skills:

Tallon
Oldfield
Healy
Evans
Knott
Russell
Engineer
Kirmani
Blackham
Lilley

a massive zebra

International Captain
I would have included Herbert Strudwick, Jack Blackham, Alan Knott, Don Tallon, Jack Russell, Godfrey Evans and Bert Oldfield, but as they have already qualified, I might aswell look elsewhere.

Syed Kirmani
Wasim Bari
Bob Taylor
Rashid Latif
Tattenda Taibu
Mark Boucher
Wally Grout
Jock Cameron
Ted Pooley
Jackie Hendriks

Last edited:

mr_mister