• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand - T20/ODI series - Jan 2016

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Question: Did Anderson know that he hit it?
According to Guptill, he didn't.

It might be said that it's arbitrary to have 1 unsuccessful challenge, but 2+ creates tactical nonsense and guess work. How else would it work? Review off the replay screen?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was at the game. Disappointingly small crowd - I guess most are waiting for Wednesday. But there was a pretty good atmosphere, with the North Stand reasonably full of people seeking shade/shelter.

One thing that really ****ing annoyed me was a group of people near the sightscreen who decided to try to start a Mexican wave in the middle of an over. My girlfriend and I turned to each other and said "If Elliott gets out in the next couple of balls..." Sure enough.

Shambolic innings from Ronchi. I'm a fan, and I think he's been a great contributor in the last few years, but he has to be running out of chances now.

It seemed to us like Kane went into cbf mode after he got that knock to the arm. Started playing some very audacious shots, and then he came charging down the wicket and was stumped. Was the sore arm affecting him? Hope it heals up quickly.

Amir looked scarily good, by far the best of the Pakistan bowlers. Also, good sportsmanship from him in congratulating Gup and Kane for their innings when they got out.

Our day had a less-than-perfect ending when we found out that our car had been towed. We were so careful in finding a place to park, looking for the cones and signs and not parking where there were obvious restrictions. The place we parked had no cones and no signs. When we returned, there were cones, signs and no ****ing car! We then found out that more than 30 others were in the same boat, including some lawyers and a police officer. The council will be hearing from us all.

Flem274*

123/5
eden park is good for nothing except swing bowling, pull shots and the all blacks winning record.

it's always absolute dog **** for the crowd.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I was at the game. Disappointingly small crowd - I guess most are waiting for Wednesday. But there was a pretty good atmosphere, with the North Stand reasonably full of people seeking shade/shelter.

One thing that really ****ing annoyed me was a group of people near the sightscreen who decided to try to start a Mexican wave in the middle of an over. My girlfriend and I turned to each other and said "If Elliott gets out in the next couple of balls..." Sure enough.

Shambolic innings from Ronchi. I'm a fan, and I think he's been a great contributor in the last few years, but he has to be running out of chances now.

It seemed to us like Kane went into cbf mode after he got that knock to the arm. Started playing some very audacious shots, and then he came charging down the wicket and was stumped. Was the sore arm affecting him? Hope it heals up quickly.

Amir looked scarily good, by far the best of the Pakistan bowlers. Also, good sportsmanship from him in congratulating Gup and Kane for their innings when they got out.

Our day had a less-than-perfect ending when we found out that our car had been towed. We were so careful in finding a place to park, looking for the cones and signs and not parking where there were obvious restrictions. The place we parked had no cones and no signs. When we returned, there were cones, signs and no ****ing car! We then found out that more than 30 others were in the same boat, including some lawyers and a police officer. The council will be hearing from us all.
Two things:

1) do you reckon the _Ed_ curse is now very much a thing of the past?

2) you have a girlfriend? _Ed_ has mother****ing swag.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It probably seemed like I wasn't doing it independently, but I was. Awful decision.

With a side bar that the DRS, as said ad nauseum in the past, is essentially for the howler. So they should have had it.

Which also brings me to the point that 1 unsuccessful is essentially the right amount, but teams will still **** it up.
1 seems to be sufficient for a 50 over innings but occasionally you will have situations like this. I think the third umpire, who has access to the replays, should have the priviledge to contact the on field umpire and discuss with them. I know it can slow down the game but this will greatly help with the existing DRS system which is up to the team's prerogative. I think the officials can be involved into the larger review system and consult with one another. Thoughts?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Which also brings me to the point that 1 unsuccessful is essentially the right amount, but teams will still **** it up.
Disagree that teams will still **** it up. I've noticed that lbw decisions almost never get overturned, for example, but caught behind decisions where the umpire didn't hear it but the fielders did (a la Anderson) almost always do.

There should be 1 review, and teams should (and will, imo) stop using in on lbws.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Actually, does anyone know what percentage of lbw reviews are overturned, and what percentage of reviews for a catch at the wicket are overturned? I'd expect a considerable difference between the two.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Pretty impressed with pakistans fight in this series overall. Their batting looks limited for outside of asia but I thought they battled hard and it was a more enjoyable limited overs contest than vs lanka

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Disagree that teams will still **** it up. I've noticed that lbw decisions almost never get overturned, for example, but caught behind decisions where the umpire didn't hear it but the fielders did (a la Anderson) almost always do.

There should be 1 review, and teams should (and will, imo) stop using in on lbws.
If you're right (and you may well be) then teams need to be more judicious on lbws. I agree, if you're um'ing and arr'ing about an lbw, chances are very very high it won't be overturned. Example, the Williamson one - it never looked like it was doing enough and they did think about it, and no doubt went for it based on the calibre of the batsman.

But I disagree that teams won't still **** it up. They're humans, with impulses and not able to make the same reasoned decisions we are sitting on a couch with our feet up. And sometimes that means we can't be too critical. But somehow I also agree with you, that there should be one review. Then I disagree that they will stop using them for lbws. Luckily that's where your post ends so I can't end up agreeing and disagreeing some more.

_Ed_

Two things:

1) do you reckon the _Ed_ curse is now very much a thing of the past?

2) you have a girlfriend? _Ed_ has mother****ing swag.
Ha, indeed. Both points date back to early 2014, which is quite the coincidence. Her good cricket-watching luck must somehow outweigh my appalling jinxing. Five wins and a tie in the six games we've been to.

But my jinx was fairly epic while it lasted - one win (Chappell-Hadlee 2007) and more than 15 losses between 1997 and 2013.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm 0-1 at Eden Park
0-1-2 at Basin
0-1 at Cake Tin (1 NR)

May have missed another loss or two.

The streak lives on.

_Ed_

Considered making a joke about that, but as a Blues fan I don't really have that right.