• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player revolt in sa over quota system ??

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
My mother just showed me a news clip on channel 144 (kyknet) where it was claimed that the white players in the franchise system is threatening to stop playing if the quota system isn't dropped. Apparently the brown players are also against the quota system but isn't part of the threatened action.

Is this bogus or is it the truth ? News 24 has no news as far as I can see.

Thanks

indiaholic

International Captain
Did read something similar but for the life of me, can't remember where. Googled it and couldn't find anything. Pretty sure we are part of the same hallucination Oduodu..

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Was a very short news report on channel 144 (kyknet) of dstv subscription service. But I definitely saw it.

Maybe someone misunderstood .

Who knows.

LOL

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, I saw a headline to that effect somewhere - I thought on the BBC, though as you've both noted, there's no trace of it now.

I have these moments quite a lot, tbh - feel slightly happier now that it's not just me that happens to :D

brockley

International Captain
Did a search on the web nothing so far.
I guess the domestic sides would just pick replacement white players who are not part of the strike.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't understand the quota system. The whole apartheid ideology classified people by colour. The quota system does the same thing.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heard nothing of this, although its interesting that two SA posters here now have.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least wait until there's something definite until sprouting clickbait images.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh yay this argument again.

Just gonna leave this here:
Apartheid and slavery are not the same thing. But this isn't the place to discuss that. But you think it is alright to select players for international sports based on factors other than merit?

cnerd123

likes this
Apartheid and slavery are not the same thing. But this isn't the place to discuss that. But you think it is alright to select players for international sports based on factors other than merit?
I don't think quotas are an effective measure (ie, if the CSA wanted more black cricketers there are more effective measures to do so), but I dont see anything inherently wrong with policies that favour or proioritise a group of people who have been historically oppressed, which is kind of the point the comic was making.

I'd say Quotas are bad not because of the intention behind them, but because of their lack of effectiveness.

TNT

Banned
Only if the ends justify the means.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think quotas are an effective measure (ie, if the CSA wanted more black cricketers there are more effective measures to do so), but I dont see anything inherently wrong with policies that favour or proioritise a group of people who have been historically oppressed, which is kind of the point the comic was making.

I'd say Quotas are bad not because of the intention behind them, but because of their lack of effectiveness.
I understand that. But I don't think international sports arena is the place for it. Picking rubbish black players is not doing anything for anyone. If CSA want more of the black community involved in cricket, then they should employ local training centres and integrate the sport in to the community, rather than the other way around. The Gary Kirsten cricket academy in Khayelitsha would be a great model to follow.