• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player revolt in sa over quota system ??

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yup, thats true. But the point is Tamil can't compete with Hindi. Tamil is a one-state language, and Hindi is a multi-stage language.
On the flip side, Tamil is a multi-national language while Hindi is an official language in only one country, IIRC. But your point stands in practical terms.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
On the flip side, Tamil is a multi-national language while Hindi is an official language in only one country, IIRC. But your point stands in practical terms.
Hah, I knew someone would bring that up. I live in a country where Tamil is one of the 4 official languages.

To further add to Hindi's practical utility, it is essentially the same language as Urdu. Different script, but any Hindi speaker will understand 95% of Urdu with ease. The more nuanced Hindi speakers will understand the balance 5% too. I guess this would liven up India-Pakistan matches. Two teams able to sledge each other in their own languages without the neutral umpires understanding. Are there any other two cricketing countries that can do that?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To further add to Hindi's practical utility, it is essentially the same language as Urdu. Different script, but any Hindi speaker will understand 95% of Urdu with ease.
Really? Never knew this. ITSTL. Makes my friend's claim that she can speak both Urdu and Hindi less impressive. :laugh:

cnerd123

likes this
According to my Bangadeshi friends, the Bengali spoken within various parts of Bangladesh itself can vary slightly in slang and pronounciation, and its all a bit different to Bengali in Kolkata, but there is still a big enough overlap that communication between all of them is no problem.

Urdu script is basically the same as Arabic, but tends to be written in a more cursive manner which makes it harder to read. Since I know how to read Arabic, my CV says I'm trilingual - English/Hindi/Urdu. It's a cheap trick that basically every kid who learnt Hindi and Arabic in school growing up in the UAE uses :P

cnerd123

likes this
Really? Never knew this. ITSTL. Makes my friend's claim that she can speak both Urdu and Hindi less impressive. :laugh:
This is also why India vs Pak matches are epic. The sledging is amazing. Lots of vids on youtube of Indian and Pakistani cricketers sledging each other in Hindi/Urdu.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to my Bangadeshi friends, the Bengali spoken within various parts of Bangladesh itself can vary slightly in slang and pronounciation, and its all a bit different to Bengali in Kolkata, but there is still a big enough overlap that communication between all of them is no problem.

Urdu script is basically the same as Arabic, but tends to be written in a more cursive manner which makes it harder to read. Since I know how to read Arabic, my CV says I'm trilingual - English/Hindi/Urdu. It's a cheap trick that basically every kid who learnt Hindi and Arabic in school growing up in the UAE uses :P
So you can read the Arabic script but don't actually understand the language?

cnerd123

likes this
Yup.

I used to understand a bit. Just what was needed to pass the exams at the time. But that was almost a decade ago. Forgotten all of it now.