• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Symonds?

Who would have been the best replacement for retired Steve Waugh in Aus test squad?

• Michael Clarke

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Michael Hussey

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Andrew Symonds

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikka_a

Cricket Spectator
it looks like australia has selected symonds for thir test squad but i dont get why they did that. I thought the aussie selectors had had it between Michael Clarke and Hussey. i think love and north need more experience so it should have been hussey and clarke.
I would have selected Hussey because the australian selectors havent given him a fair chance yet...........

what do u guys think??????

Rich2001

International Captain
Ok here's my guess and reasons:-

- He was selected to offer a genuine All-Rounder to the side, it's ok batsman like Lehmann and Katich bowling but they wont be able to do the job all the time.

- His form in the last 12 months is fantastic and he derseves a spot for that

- Gezz do you need another batsman you have Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Lehmann, Katich, Gilly, Martyn - Give the rest of the world a break and at least let us chase 400 for a change ;)

- With the likes of Mcgrath out your bowling has been at it's worse this year and Symo will help that department

- Symo is a very very handy spin bowler and your playing in Sri Lanka one of the spinest venues in the world

- Symo is a fantastic player of spin and your need that in Sri Lanka

- The ACB get told they pick to many NSW players, so they picked 3 QLD'ers instead this time ;)

- They have M.Clarke down as a OD player only and refuse to look at him for Tests

Ok I tailed off a bit there, but the top lot are real :D

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
perhaps its because they dont have an orthodox off spinner in their squad to complement warne and since symonds has been in good form with the bat he was probably the best bet. clarke is too young, he'll get his chance later but i think love deserves a fair chance, he hasnt been given too many opportunities.

Rich2001

International Captain
Swervy said:
yeah i think Symonds deserves a crack at it
To right! (you know Kent were responsible for getting Symo to actually play well, we taught him everything he knows ;) :D )

Rich2001

International Captain
Swervy said:
...he did ok for Gloucester well
Yeah but when he joined Kent 5 years back he avg'ed like 20 with the bat for Australia (35.29 now) and 50 odd with the ball (34 now), consistantly his head being called for by ever Australian fan on this board when we first opened (2 and a half years ago) now look at the little feller 5 years later he is in the ODI team every game, broken into the Test squad and idolized by you all ;) :lol:

Swervy

International Captain
yeah i agree...he did always have the potential though...god i bet England are kicking themselves that he didn t choose to play for them instead

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
mikka_a said:
I thought the aussie selectors had had it between Michael Clarke and Hussey.
I would suggest Love is ahead both of those in the pecking order, seeing as he's played in the last 12 months.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I would have rather seen Hussey in there, but Symonds has done so much lately in the ODI side that he deserves his spot. I don't think the free-fall in Clarke's ODI batting average has helped his cause one jot.

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
Ummmm with Lehmann coming back and Katich at about 6 theres no room for anybody unless symonds is picked as a batting bowler.

Anyway Symonds would be my pick if someone got injured.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Symonds is in cause hes been in good form. and will be on the field alot as well to add abit of spark but i doubt he will play unless someone is injured.

Craig

World Traveller
Picked one 1d form really. Love's form dropped away, so that's probably why he didnt get picked.

If only love continued to bowl his off breaks more often.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
If only love continued to bowl his off breaks more often.
He's bowled one first-class over from memory.....Hardly something that needs persevering with.

Besdies, its ridiculous to suggest that Symonds has been picked as a geniune all-rounder, because quite simply he's not.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rich2001 said:
Ok here's my guess and reasons:-

- He was selected to offer a genuine All-Rounder to the side, it's ok batsman like Lehmann and Katich bowling but they wont be able to do the job all the time.
Symonds is not a genuine allrounder. He's a batsman who bowls well occasionally.
- Symo is a very very handy spin bowler and your playing in Sri Lanka one of the spinest venues in the world
I would be shocked if Symonds made an impact with his spin against the Sri Lankan batsmen.
- The ACB get told they pick to many NSW players, so they picked 3 QLD'ers instead this time ;)
Politically incorrect.
- They have M.Clarke down as a OD player only and refuse to look at him for Tests
For good reason ATM.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I think Symonds was picked b'coz Symonds is a very very good player of spin ( one of the best IMO) . He could do some damage with the ball too as the SRL batting is not that great . He has the talent to be successful and hope he gets a chance to play.