• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Symonds?

Who would have been the best replacement for retired Steve Waugh in Aus test squad?

• Michael Clarke

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Michael Hussey

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Andrew Symonds

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ridiculous yet again. It's not all or nothing. I've seen several times that Lara in particular has looked out of sorts due to things other than what's on the field.
That is when I dont think he is in his best form. Since his goplden run of form (and from a WI perspective and from my prespective I hope that it continues) I think he is focasing more on the game in hand.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He claims to have rededicated himself to Windies cricket and says he's in love with the game again. It appears to be true too.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He claims to have rededicated himself to Windies cricket and says he's in love with the game again. It appears to be true too.
Well you dont score all those runs he has if you werent in with the love again.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Good players aren't bothered by anything outside the game - it disappears once you reach the middle.
Interesting - although this is slightly off-topic, I've wanted to hear your opinion of home advantage in football. I know you might not be as much an expert on this game than in cricket, but since there is obviously nothing outside the game (according to you) that affects the players, how come the home team wins about half the matches?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing outside the game?
So the pitch is now not outside the game?
Every ground is unique in terms of grass, soil, width, length, space outside markings, etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ridiculous yet again. It's not all or nothing. I've seen several times that Lara in particular has looked out of sorts due to things other than what's on the field. No batsman is able to be unaffected by things off the field, positive or negative. We are human beings first, then everything else.
Stuff in personal life is clearly different. Everyone knows that. Yet again, "stuff outside the game" isn't the best way of phrasing it.
Thorpe is another example, a very badly affected one.
I'm talking about the simple pressure of expectation of fans. Not anything more complicated. Lara at times was known to have plenty of problems; I'm sure plenty of people know more than I do.