• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Symonds?

Who would have been the best replacement for retired Steve Waugh in Aus test squad?

• Michael Clarke

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Michael Hussey

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Andrew Symonds

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iamdavid

International Debutant
Best replacement for Steve Waugh in the Aus test squad
The best man to replace Steve Waugh was Mr Darren Scott Lehmann , who was correctly chosen to replace him.

However I think you mean the best spare batsman/allrounder , in which case it would be a race between about 8 contenders -
Love , Clarke , Symonds , Hussey , Hussey jnr , Hodge , Watson & North.

Probably Love for me , deserves a chance ahead of the Hussey's , Symonds & Hodge as he's played tests already & done nothing wrong.
Clarke & North arent ready for test cricket yet & Watson's game isnt really suited to Sri Lanka.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One thing that needs to be grasped here:
Symonds when bowling spin is a batsman who bowls a little bit. About as much as Martyn or the Waughs (actually, I think Mark's spin was better than Symonds').
Symonds is a pretty good bowler when the conditions suit seam and he bowls it. But his spin is so useless it's barely worthy of consideration. Even in Sri Lanka.
His batting is OK, meanwhile, but not IMO Test standard.
As for the spare batsman issue, IMO Love has done far more to deserve a place than Symonds has ever done. Higher FC average, better last 2 or 3 seasons, good Test record.
Pretty simple.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Believe me, you'll see plenty worse.
He's no use when there's no seam or swing, but that's no different to many, many of today's bowlers.
His recent domestic figures have been pretty impressive.
He's a far better seamer, certainly, than he was 2 and 3 years ago. However, his bowling is still not the sort that will be any use against rampant Sri Lankan batsmen.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Andre said:
He's bowled one first-class over from memory.....Hardly something that needs persevering with.

Besdies, its ridiculous to suggest that Symonds has been picked as a geniune all-rounder, because quite simply he's not.
Hes not, but maybe hes been picked as one.

Seen highlights of the first two ODIs? Symonds has not only put the ball in the right places and bowled superbly, hes been turning the ball a LOT too.

Some spinners i don't think use the Sri Lankan wickets very well. I think Symonds does.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I don't think Symonds will have great success at Test level, and I don't think he should've been picked. Symonds just doesn't seem like the type of player who can play a long innings, and his bowling is hardly enough to get him into the Test side.

I still cannot fathom why Hodge hasn't been given a run in the side, or why Love is out of favour with the selectors (or so it seems).

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dasa said:
I don't think Symonds will have great success at Test level, and I don't think he should've been picked. Symonds just doesn't seem like the type of player who can play a long innings, and his bowling is hardly enough to get him into the Test side.

I still cannot fathom why Hodge hasn't been given a run in the side, or why Love is out of favour with the selectors (or so it seems).
Symonds usualy does not play long innings but he can play big ones.

He has a few high 150's and at least one big unbeaten double ton that I know of.

He has an exeptional eye and he is supprisingly hard to get out once he is setteld.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But that is in FC Cricket - there's a distinct difference in pressure and quality of opposition when it comes to Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good players aren't bothered by anything outside the game - it disappears once you reach the middle.
And India's attack isn't much less popgun than the routine Pura Cup one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If it was in theory only, Test-cricket would not be played.
Because no-one would be able to stand the pressure.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Where have you got that from?

It's exactly the oposite of what I said, and I don't see how it can be true.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Good players aren't bothered by anything outside the game - it disappears once you reach the middle.
Actually some of the pura Cup attacks are fairly decent and a little better then popgun.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Symonds has come along in leaps and bounds since the big unit Matty Hayden has taken him under his wing. Symonds credits Hayden for showing him to train productively and effectively and for being able to handle pressure situations (I read this in the Sunday paper)

He has always been a supremely talented athlete and deserves a shot. I would love to see Martin Love play but the postion available 5 or 6 doesn't suit him - he needs to play 4 or higher and thats unlikely to happen in the near future.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Well that knocks Lara and Tendulkar out of the good players category...

Even the good players are human Richard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Tendulkar and Lara really were bothered by the pressure of all the millions of expectant fans when they got to the middle they wouldn't score a run.
But they, any many, many others, have the ability to wipe it from their mind and concentrate on what is at hand.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
If Tendulkar and Lara really were bothered by the pressure of all the millions of expectant fans when they got to the middle they wouldn't score a run.
But they, any many, many others, have the ability to wipe it from their mind and concentrate on what is at hand.
Ridiculous yet again. It's not all or nothing. I've seen several times that Lara in particular has looked out of sorts due to things other than what's on the field. No batsman is able to be unaffected by things off the field, positive or negative. We are human beings first, then everything else.

Pace Setter

Cricket Spectator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ridiculous yet again. It's not all or nothing. I've seen several times that Lara in particular has looked out of sorts due to things other than what's on the field. No batsman is able to be unaffected by things off the field, positive or negative. We are human beings first, then everything else.
Obviously as humans, its impossible to be in a robot, all or nothing frame of mind, but if you've played professional high-intensity sport at all before, then you'd agree it's certainly VERY close to "all or nothing" out there, at least close enough to almost completely remove effects of the outside world from your game.