• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Australia XI

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Say that all the current Australian contracted platers decided they'd all retire tomorrow (you can't select these guys: ponting, gilchrist, bevan, bichel, bracken, clarke, gillespie, harvey, hauritz, hayden, hogg, katich, langer, lee, lehmann, love, macgill, mcgrath, maher, martyn, noffke, symonds, warne, watson, waugh, williams) , who would you pick as your new Australia XI?

Mine would be...

1.Matthew Elliott
2.Michael Hussey
3.Stuart Law (c)
4.Marcus North
5.Greg Blewett
6.Jamie Cox
7.Ryan Campbell
8.Cameron White
9.Michael Kasprowicz
10.Joe Dawes
11.Paul Rofe

I personally think the side is alright, except I don't like White but what other spinners after Warne, Macgill & Hauritz is there?

Last edited by a moderator:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
meh, im just not going to have the regulars

test:
Elliott
M Hussey*
Hodge
North
D Marsh
Watson
Campbell
Noffke
Nicholson
Tait
Inness

Marsh would be the sole spinner, white could be added for spinning pitches, tough on Rofe there....

ODI
Elliot
Blewett
Hussey
North
Watson
Thornley
Campbell
Nicholson
Haurtiz
Noffke
Tait

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tests...

1. M Elliott*
2. M Hussey
3. M Goodwin
4. S Law
5. M Di Venuto
6. J Cox
7. R Campbell
8. C White
9. A Noffke
10. M Nicholson
11. J Dawes

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:
meh, im just not going to have the regulars

test:
Elliott
M Hussey*
Hodge
North
D Marsh
Watson
Campbell
Noffke
Nicholson
Tait
Inness

Marsh would be the sole spinner, white could be added for spinning pitches, tough on Rofe there....

ODI
Elliot
Blewett
Hussey
North
Watson
Thornley
Campbell
Nicholson
Haurtiz
Noffke
Tait
"Say that all the current Australian contracted platers decided they'd all retire tomorrow (you can't select these guys: ponting, gilchrist, bevan, bichel, bracken, clarke, gillespie, harvey, hauritz, hayden, hogg, katich, langer, lee, lehmann, love, macgill, mcgrath, maher, martyn, noffke, symonds, warne, watson, waugh, williams) , who would you pick as your new Australia XI?"

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Tests...

1. M Elliott*
2. M Hussey
3. M Goodwin
4. S Law
5. M Di Venuto
6. J Cox
7. R Campbell
8. C White
9. A Noffke
10. M Nicholson
11. J Dawes
See Above Post

Craig

World Traveller
Tests:

Rogers
*M Hussey
Hodge
Law
Goodwin
D Hussey
+Seccombe
Cleary
Doherty
Kaspawicz
Tait/Rofe

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Rich2001 said:
"Say that all the current Australian contracted platers decided they'd all retire tomorrow (you can't select these guys: ponting, gilchrist, bevan, bichel, bracken, clarke, gillespie, harvey, hauritz, hayden, hogg, katich, langer, lee, lehmann, love, macgill, mcgrath, maher, martyn, noffke, symonds, warne, watson, waugh, williams) , who would you pick as your new Australia XI?"

Noffke hasn't been selected in a squad, and neither has Watson (injured) in 12 months, Hauritz isn't in the top squad either so as i said, im not counting them - not regular internationals, not in the current Australian XI.

PS Law is like retired from Aussie cricket and Goodwin doesn't qualify yet...

iamdavid

International Debutant
Tests-
1.Michael Slater (NSW)
2.Matthew Elliott (VIC)
3.*Michael Hussey (WA)
4.Bradley Hodge (VIC)
5.David Hussey (VIC)
6.Marcus North (WA)
7.+Wade Seccombe (QLD)
8.Damien Wright (TAS)
9.Beau Casson (WA)
10.Shaun Tait (SA)
11.Michael Kasprowics (QLD)
12th man.Matthew Inness (VIC)

ODI's-
1.Marcus North (WA)
2.Matthew Elliott (VIC)
3.Bradley Hodge (VIC)
4.*Michael Hussey (WA)
5.David Hussey (VIC)
6.Daniel Marsh (TAS)
7.+Graeme Manou (SA)
8.Damien Wright (TAS)
9.Nathan Hauritz (QLD)
10.Michael Kasprowics (QLD)
11.Shaun Tait (SA)
12th man.Mark Cleary (SA)

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Michael Hussey
Matthew Elliott
Brad Hodge
David Hussey
Marcus North
Chris Rogers
Sean Clingeleffer
Cameron White
Michael Kasprowicz
Matthew Inness
Paul Rofe
Damien Wright (12th man)

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Michael Hussey
Matthew Elliott
Martin Love
Stuart Law
Marcus North
Chris Rogers
Sean Clingeleffer
Cameron White
Michael Kasprowicz
Mark Cleary
Paul Rofe

Mine is similar to the above post's however i have gone with a more balance of experienced and younger players.

Meh people may not agree with me, but i just feel they would be a good unit.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
The Aussies future is worrying for them becasue after Clarke they have no good players coming though
Whereas we have a wonderful bunch of players who are unable to bowl, field or catch and give up 503-4 in a run chase despite having South Zone 1-2.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Greg Blewett said:
1.Matthew Elliott
2.Michael Hussey
3.Stuart Law (c)
4.Marcus North
5.Greg Blewett
6.Jamie Cox
7.Ryan Campbell
8.Cameron White
9.Michael Kasprowicz
10.Joe Dawes
11.Paul Rofe
Stuart Law is retiring from Australian cricket and is moving to England.

Also I would put IMO Brad Haddin or Wade Seccombe as wicket keeper.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
chris.hinton said:
The Aussies future is worrying for them becasue after Clarke they have no good players coming though
I wouldn't agree with that , but what i do think is within the 26-30 age bracket the talent pool is not as enriched as what Australian cricket has been used to in recent times.

There are some good players in there - Inness and Noffke are two bowlers who could do pretty well in the international scene. With the spinners there are none at all ready to immediatedly take over from Warne or MacGill.

Keepers - Haddin and Campbell are handy one day cricketers, but whether they can take over in the long stuff is another question - but i reckon by the time Gilly is gone Clingeleffer will be more than ready.

But batsmen we're in a slight degree of trouble. Michael Hussey is 28 and averages 52 in FC cricket, but his performance is someone distroted by the fact he dominates season after season in England. He only averages 40 in the SS competition (and averaged in the mid to low 30's for seasons 00/01, 01/02 and 02/03).

Chris Rogers is coming along very well but whether he is international standard is another question. Hopefully David Hussey is going to continue along the way he has this season.

But in general the talent pool in the 26-30 age bracket (i.e. guys who are ready to take over from the current guys) is not all that high.

But in the under 26's there is copious amounts of talents - Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, Cameron White, Mark Cosgrove, Beau Casson, Scott Brant, Paul Rofe, Damien MacKenzie, Shaun Tait, Mark Cleary, Xavier Doherty, Shaun Marsh, Marcus North, Nathan Hauritz, Chris Simpson have all started to make some sort of a mark on FC cricket. While a little bit deeper and there is still plenty of talent with guys like Aaron Bird, Adam Crosthwaite, Cameron Ferguson, Ben Cameron, Theo Doropolous, Mitchell Johnson waiting in the wings of FC selection.

Depending on how long the current group of guys can stick around for and whether or not some of those under 26's can show enough maturity to play international cricket a little before they normally would, we may be able to avoid a fall in the international arena.

But even if we do have a bit of a drop, I have no doubt that the guys coming through are defenitaly good enough to take us back to the top (the guys who went to the 01/02 u/19 WC was considered by many to be the most talented lineup we've ever assembled)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Tests:

Rogers
*M Hussey
Hodge
Law
Goodwin
D Hussey
+Seccombe
Cleary
Doherty
Kaspawicz
Tait/Rofe
Good call with Kasper and Cleary mate :)

Mine...

1. M Elliot
2. M Hussey
3. B Hodge
4. D Hussey
5. M North
6. D Marsh
7. W Seccombe
8. M Cleary
9. P Rofe
10. M Kaspawicz (no idea of spelling, so copied Craig)
11. S Tait

Fairly obvious side there I think...

Marsh as spinner, shows my thoughts of Cameron White I guess.:rolleyes: