• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark

Global Moderator
Why do you care about the misogyny in Chris Gayle treating her as eye-candy in a brief interview but not about the much broader misogyny inherent in her having the job in the first place because (even if only partly because) she is eye candy?

It just seems like a very selective application of your principles to me. The inappropriate way she was treated in that instance, focussing on something that should be irrelevant, reflects the inappropriate aspects of her employment, reflecting as it does irrelevant considerations.
i should be more specific: i don't care about the nature of ten's employment of her in the context of discussing chris gayle's actions. these two conversations have, imo, zero intersection outside broader discussions about how women are treated in sporting culture, which i am not going to enter into at 5am.

it's whataboutery to conflate the two, and there are few things i despise more.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Have actually just read a few of Chris Rogers' comments on Gayle which are enlightening. Does seem a bit of a dick in the broader sense. But I still maintain that what happened last night really wasn't that big a deal.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Have actually just read a few of Chris Rogers' comments on Gayle which are enlightening. Does seem a bit of a dick in the broader sense. But I still maintain that what happened last night really wasn't that big a deal.
you have to call people out on the small deals to stop them escalating into bigger deals.

Red

Yes yes poor Gayle, so horrible that he's held accountable for his actions.
everyone should be held accountable for their actions, but what happened last night wasn't a massive deal was it?

What's the bet Channel 10 are champing at the bit for the next Renegades game and that they'll make sure Mel is rostered on for that telecast?

thierry henry

International Coach
Probably because she excelled in journalism at university and is highly intelligent, she has a good understanding of sport and does a tremendous job commentating womens cricket.

Be interested in what factors you think contributed to her getting the job.
I think that being attractive and female contributed to her getting the job alongside the other factors you mentioned.

I think that ideally gender wouldn't be a factor.

I think that while attractiveness undoubtedly plays some role, there is a difference in the way male and female attractiveness contributes to getting these jobs and her attractiveness contributed to her position in a different way to how male presenters' attractiveness contributed to them getting their jobs.

I think that the things Chris Gayle wrongly focussed on in his interview line-up quite neatly with the factors contributing to her employment that ideally wouldn't be considered.

I think it's unfortunate and ironic that my criticism of this inherent misogyny is going to be interpreted as misogynist.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think that being attractive and female contributed to her getting the job alongside the other factors you mentioned.

I think that while attractiveness undoubtedly plays some role, there is a difference in the way male and female attractiveness contributes to getting these jobs and her attractiveness contributed to her position in a different way to how male presenters' attractiveness contributed to them getting their jobs.

I think that the things Chris Gayle wrongly focussed on in his interview line-up quite neatly with the factors contributing to her employment that ideally wouldn't be considered.

I think it's unfortunate and ironic that my criticism of this inherent misogyny is going to be interpreted as misogynist.
look i don't think any of this is wrong, but i just don't think any of this is really especially relevant to the actual and very specific discussion that's going on here and i find it very weird that you keep trying to change the subject like this

Shady Slim

International Coach
the fact that gayle was acting as the persona channel ten had been building him up as also shows there's a problem with how channel ten's built him up, because provided my memory serves me correctly they made a joke about him rolling and smoking a few the other week as well

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
The comments were definitely dickish but there is no need to call a press conference over them. Gayle has apologised which for me is enough. I wonder what punishment those who have condemned him the most on here would like to see?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we all just agree that :

1) Gayle was a giant douchebag
2) But he would've gotten away with it if, for whatever reason, the interviewer had just laughed of his comment as him "just bring Chris Gayle"
3) But the outrage is necessary, since he was being a creep
4) But it's way way OTT since he was just being a creep and wasn't ***ually harassing her or anything. Smh.
5) And finally, that Virat would've said the same lines and wouldn't have struck out.

TNT

Banned

She has hosted sports shows Kick OFF, Indian super league and Fox sports News, She covered the Glasgow games, 2014 Winter Olympics and 2014 FIFA World cup.

You cant get past just judging her on her looks, this is why its important to highlight these incidents, people need to be taught how wrong they are and as you can see from this thread there are still quite a few out there.

Shady Slim

International Coach
She has hosted sports shows Kick OFF, Indian super league and Fox sports News, She covered the Glasgow games, 2014 Winter Olympics and 2014 FIFA World cup.

You cant get past just judging her on her looks, this is why its important to highlight these incidents, people need to be taught how wrong they are and as you can see from this thread there are still quite a few out there.
she covered the soccer did she?

can't agree with her then sorry whoop pls do not take this seriously

Red

Network 10 said last night that it would strip its microphone off the controversial superstar for the rest of the Big Bash League season.
Ok, but just remember Channel 10 that you make a lot of coin from Big Brother, Neighbours and Video Hits which you advertise in a hyper ***ualised way constantly.

Spark

Global Moderator
The comments were definitely dickish but there is no need to call a press conference over them. Gayle has apologised which for me is enough. I wonder what punishment those who have condemned him the most on here would like to see?
i honestly don't know tbh. it's going to be very weird to have the ch10 comms talk about him, and i suspect their publicity ban on him is to try and minimise any awkwardness for themselves as much as anything else.

like it's been less than a day. the bloke hasn't been sent to jail or anything ffs.

tbh i find some of the terrible arguments defending gayle far more disconcerting than anything else.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
Ok, but just remember Channel 10 that you make a lot of coin from Big Brother, Neighbours and Video Hits which you advertise in a hyper ***ualised way constantly.
those ads for neighbours are ridiculous mind you

literally the only reason people watch it is to see paul robinson being a gigantic douche

Teja.

Global Moderator
Being good looking contributing in getting a job is not a female thing. How many **** looking guys with pointy teeth, asymmetrical faces, several pimples, 250 lbs + etc. do you see as talk reporters?

Being good looking is just a part of the job she does independent of gender.

thierry henry

International Coach

It's not an either/or thing. Someone can be perfectly competent at a job but still have been hired for inappropriate reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.