• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah "***ual harrassment" is definitely way OTT. Don't think anyone is really a "victim" here either. Doesn't mean what Gayle did wasn't extremely inappropriate though.

smash84

The Tiger King
tbf to Gayle he seems to be improving. His comments in 2014 were
Gayle has form in this department. In July 2014, when asked by a female reporter during the Caribbean Premier League about the surface the Jamaica Tallawahs, who he was captaining, would be playing on in their next game, Gayle responded: "Well, I haven't touched yours yet so I don't know how it feels."
and the board was defending him :blink:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah "***ual harrassment" is definitely way OTT. Don't think anyone is really a "victim" here either. Doesn't mean what Gayle did wasn't extremely inappropriate though.
there certainly is a "victim" in the sense that there is someone—a particular individual—who was clearly wronged by what happened, though i agree that many of the pejoratives that come associated with that word probably shouldn't apply

thierry henry

International Coach
I was going to put this in more graphic terms but I won't....but isn't there at least an element here of Gayle acting in more or less exactly the way that his "character" has been "promoted" for the BBL?

smash84

The Tiger King
i find the idea that this is happening because of ~cultural differences~ kind of dire tbh. sometimes a bloke is just a ****, culture or not.

i disagree, but ok.
fair point. I was just trying to bring in every possible angle which the OP might have missed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to put this in more graphic terms but I won't....but isn't there at least an element here of Gayle acting in more or less exactly the way that his "character" has been "promoted" for the BBL?
Yeah, it was a performance. Gayle horrendously overstepped the mark but there's no doubt in my mind that this sort of stuff is meant to be a part of his Big Bash brand.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Imagine for a moment that she'd reciprocated his feelings by saying "sure, I'll have a drink with you" and they'd had a drink and become a couple and married and got pregnant. Suddenly they'd be splashed on the cover of every paper and TV screen for a week and the Big Bash and CA would have a feast on the publicity and everyone would be apples and smiling. Social media would be reporting on the amazing love story and girls would be saying "nawww, I want that".

We're a trivialized, and trivial society.

Spark

Global Moderator
of course, which is why it's ultimately on ch10 to take the lead on making their lack of approval obvious. not publicising him it's a start, but man it's gonna be awkward when they have to commentate on him knowing that he did that to one of their coworkers.

Spark

Global Moderator
Imagine for a moment that she'd reciprocated his feelings by saying "sure, I'll have a drink with you" and they'd had a drink and become a couple and married and got pregnant. Suddenly they'd be splashed on the cover of every paper and TV screen for a week and the Big Bash and CA would have a feast on the publicity and everyone would be apples and smiling. Social media would be reporting on the amazing love story and girls would be saying "nawww, I want that".

We're a trivialized, and trivial society.
or imagine that she was there to ask about the cricket. at a game of cricket. because it's her job to ask about the cricket, and she's a professional doing her job.

stunning, i know.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah, it was a performance. Gayle horrendously overstepped the mark but there's no doubt in my mind that this sort of stuff is meant to be a part of his Big Bash brand.
I was watching the first game where they had him mic'd up and honestly, the standard of his banter was pretty poor but the boys in the comm box were just loving it or at least pretending to. So many references to how he was so cool, so "calypso", the "eye-opening nature of his social media accounts" and so on.

There's a lot going on here. There is definitely an element of racial stereotyping and a huge element of ***ual innuendo. I could write a lot more about it but I think that says enough. He is absolutely being portrayed as a character or a persona of a certain type and coaxed to walk a pretty fine line where he plays the role of Supa Cool Shaft Mandingo Warrior Destroyer of Worlds and Women without going beyond a G-rating. It strikes me as risky territory.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was watching the first game where they had him mic'd up and honestly, the standard of his banter was pretty poor but the boys in the comm box were just loving it or at least pretending to. So many references to how he was so cool, so "calypso", the "eye-opening nature of his social media accounts" and so on.

There's a lot going on here. There is definitely an element of racial stereotyping and a huge element of ***ual innuendo. I could write a lot more about it but I think that says enough. He is absolutely being portrayed as a character or a persona of a certain type and coaxed to walk a pretty fine line where he plays the role of Supa Cool Shaft Mandingo Warrior Destroyer of Worlds and Women without going beyond a G-rating. It strikes me as risky territory.
see i actually sort of agree with this, and the big-black-man-preying-on-innocent-white-girl trope is definitely a thing, and needs to be accounted for.

but as i said before, there's ample evidence that gayle is simply a dickhead.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
or imagine that she was there to ask about the cricket. at a game of cricket. because it's her job to ask about the cricket, and she's a professional doing her job.

stunning, i know.
Everyone bemoans how boring sportsmen are and how pointless interviews are and this is probably why. Sure, it might've been a bit awkward, but it clearly showed who he was. It didn't hurt her in any way, and she dealt with it appropriately. It could just be laughed off for what it is.

But sure, everyone would rather hear "yeh, the wickets a bit flat out there and Thommo's bowling well now and I think 130 is probably about par", "ok, thanks, back to you Flem".

Spark

Global Moderator
Everyone bemoans how boring sportsmen are and how pointless interviews are and this is probably why. Sure, it might've been a bit awkward, but it clearly showed who he was. It didn't hurt her in any way, and she dealt with it appropriately. It could just be laughed off for what it is.

But sure, everyone would rather hear "yeh, the wickets a bit flat out there and Thommo's bowling well now and I think 130 is probably about par", "ok, thanks, back to you Flem".
how on earth would you know? have you talked to her?

thierry henry

International Coach
see i actually sort of agree with this, and the big-black-man-preying-on-innocent-white-girl trope is definitely a thing, and needs to be accounted for.

but as i said before, there's ample evidence that gayle is simply a dickhead.
Yeah I don't actually disagree, I've always been a h8er of Gayle tbh. Don't like him as a cricketer, don't like his attitude to the game, and reaaaaaaaally don't understand why everyone thinks he's so cool. Has really weak chat and sounds like a little girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.