• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Hussey

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Does he deserve to be in the Australian set-up? (even just the contracted players...?)

FIRST-CLASS
(2002/03 - 2003/04; last updated 23/02/2004)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 13 18 2 940 212* 58.75 72.36 4 3 9 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 26 6 85 2 42.50 1-6 0 0 78.0 3.26

LIST A LIMITED OVERS
(2001 - 2003/04; last updated 22/02/2004)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 16 14 4 495 118* 49.50 2 0 11 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 39.5 1 252 7 36.00 3-48 0 0 34.1 6.32

Rich2001

International Captain
Greg Blewett said:
Does he deserve to be in the Australian set-up? (even just the contracted players...?)
Well only having those stats and a few high reviews of the guy it's hard for me to judge, but I'll get back to you during the English County season when I have seen him play a few times for Notts :)

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Are the Husseys the over-looked players of Australian cricket? Both of them boast amazing records yet have barely got the foot in the door (Michael's 1 ODI is hardly anything on the International level.)

Rich2001

International Captain
Greg Blewett said:
Are the Husseys the over-looked players of Australian cricket? Both of them boast amazing records yet have barely got the foot in the door (Michael's 1 ODI is hardly anything on the International level.)
Totally agree on Michael, like I say haven't seen David so can't really comment.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
David hasn't played enough games for mine, if he does well in england he will no doubt get a contract though.... Michael on the other hand with continued ggood form shouldn't have to wait to much longer before he gets a run in one of the sides at least

artimuscrowbar

Cricket Spectator
I reckon David Hussey could be a replacement for steve waugh

justin langer on the other hand is running out of time and have till after our next tour of india to show form

Mike on the other hand hasnt done much

Davids unbeaten 212 to win the match for the Victorians against N.S.W. when we needed 450 odd to win should get him in to the aussie team for tour of india

iamdavid

International Debutant
artimuscrowbar said:
justin langer on the other hand is running out of time and have till after our next tour of india to show form
Ahem.

You wouldnt be talking about the same Justin Langer who scored a century in his most recent test match , (2 centuries & a fifty in the 4 tests against India) , averages 44.97 at test level.
The same JL who made 824 runs @ 41.2 in 2003 & has scored 3335 runs at 51.3 since the year 2000 , including 12 centuries...

????

Something tells me the form of that particular Justin Langer is not an issue to become awfully concerned with ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
artimuscrowbar said:
Mike on the other hand hasnt done much
Certainly has done more than David...

3 triple tons (I think 2 unbeaten), a few doubles and year after year of 800+ runs a year in the Pura Cup.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Both will play test cricket for Australia (barring injury or major loss of form) - how much they play is dependant on how well they take their chance.

I think Michael is 29 or 30. David is about 27.

David must do this or something like it against next season before he becomes into consideration.

While Mike is probably equal with Matty Elliott as next in line for an openers position. If Hayden or Langer broke down now I'd say Elliott would get the gig as he's probably the most in form batsmen in Australia.

But if in 1-2 years time when i reckon one of them (most likely Langer) would've called it time on their international career i'd say Hussey will get his chance than if he's still in form. He may even get it sooner as a middle order batsmen if Martyn and whoever Steve Waugh's replacement is (probably Lehmann) keep batting they are.

The way i see it, the pecking order outside of this test squad is:

1 - Michael Clarke, Brad Hodge and Martin Love (can open) all about equal.
2 - David Hussey, Matt Elliott (op) and Michael Hussey (op) a fair way back
3 - Shane Watson a little bit behind them.

but than coming into this test series i did have Andrew Symonds back a little behind Shane Watson.

After that there is a group containing guys like Chris Rogers (op), Michael Bevan, Greg Blewett, Jamie Cox (op), Marcus North, Daniel Marsh, Michael di Venuto and Michael Dighton (op) but they are quite a fair way back i reckon.

And the only guys from that last group who really have potential for a test career later on are Chris Rogers and Marcus North - both are under about 26. Whilst Michael Dighton is still only 28. The rest are all over 31.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I just can't see any evidence to suggest Clarke's anywhere near the Test side, he's not done well in ODIs (with his batting which is what he was picked for) for quite a while and if Symonds is picked ahead of him, then there must be half of Australia ahead of Clarke at the moment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
artimuscrowbar said:
Davids unbeaten 212 to win the match for the Victorians against N.S.W. when we needed 450 odd to win should get him in to the aussie team for tour of india
One innings should earn international selection???????
:O :O :O :O :O

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
I just can't see any evidence to suggest Clarke's anywhere near the Test side, he's not done well in ODIs (with his batting which is what he was picked for) for quite a while and if Symonds is picked ahead of him, then there must be half of Australia ahead of Clarke at the moment.
If Clarke's recent form continues he'll be lucky to escape a full season with Hants.
Because he almost sure as hell won't be playing the Sri Lanka ODIs.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
No one really know's what the selectors think of him at this stage.

What is obviouse is that he will have a succsesfull test carear if treated right because he has a very good techneque and a quite obviouse amount of talent.

You will have to wait untill you have seen him play a few good inning to probably know why some people have souch high opinion's of him.

IMO he should come into the test side at the end of next summer by then I would think he will have enough FC cricket behind him and some more maturity as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
What is obviouse is that he will have a succsesfull test carear if treated right because he has a very good techneque and a quite obviouse amount of talent.
Nothing is obvious.

Until he actually plays, we can only speculate.

Remember that there's been others who've been so highly talked of that haven't gone on to the heights expected.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hooper has good technique and a lot of talent but he's not exactly had a brilliant Test career. Daren Ganga is the same. Stuart Williams....

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hooper has good technique and a lot of talent but he's not exactly had a brilliant Test career. Daren Ganga is the same. Stuart Williams....
Junior Murrary?