• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debuts & Retirements draft

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey all, happy 2016 & all that.

I’ll be hosting a new draft for anyone who is interested which I call the ‘Debuts/retirements’ draft. It is a draft where each of your selections will affect one another.

Rules/the jist of it

- To begin, each player must select a cricketer who made their Test match debut in the calendar year of 1877.

- For each following round, the next cricketer to be selected must have debuted in Tests during the same year as the cricketer previously selected played their final Test. For example, if you first choose Fred Spofforth - who debuted in 1877 & retired in 1887 - then your next selection must be a cricketer who debuted in 1887.

- If the circumstance arises where a player is stuck in a year and has literally no-one to select, they are permitted to move forward to the next calendar year during which Test Match cricket was played. Normally this will just be a case of skipping ahead one year but, for example, if you get stuck in 1939, then you will naturally move straight on to 1945 as that’s when Test cricket recommenced after the war.

- Order of selection will be determined by a random number generator; subsequently the following round will feature the same order, but reversed. After the opening two rounds, this process will repeat itself. There will be 11 selection rounds & will be generated as we go.

- Players must make their selection within 12 hours of the preceding player’s selection otherwise they will be timed out. If a player is timed out they can still make a selection whenever possible but are not allowed to select any cricketer already taken.

- The finalised teams will be put to a vote to decide the winner.

- No Bradman

- Anyone who manages to select a non-retired player before the final round will have to make their following selection from a 1877 debutant.

Interesting/annoying things a draft such as this will probably throw up:

- Each of your opponents will be somewhat aware of who you intend to choose next & may try to hinder you.

- As the draft unfolds cricketers from more and more countries will become available.

- Probably other stuff that even I haven't considered yet.

I hope I have explained it all coherently enough. The only thing I haven't made up my mind on yet is whether I should generate the order of all 11 selection rounds at the beginning, or generate only two rounds at a time (as they will be reversed). The second option will effectively make rounds 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11 'blind' rounds and planning will be harder but it could be fun/total war.

Any takers? If you are interested then please share your thoughts whether each of the selection orders for each round should be generated at the beginning or not.

Cheers.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am in but just a couple of thoughts.

I believe that you should keep the blind rounds. Its more exciting that way.

I also think we should have 12 rounds and let people choose one from their team as their 12th man.

Its your call but I still think Bradman should be outlawed. :)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What would you say about making it so that one has to select a player who debuted in the same year as the retirement year of the player picked by the preceding poster?

Plus what does this entail when someone picks someone like Steve Smith who hasn't retired yet? How do you pick the next guy? Or are non-retired people out of bounds?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Good points there HB. I agree with you that the blind rounds will be more exciting and also agree that a 12th round/12th man would be a good addition to the draft. If anyone else feels the same way I'm happy to go with it

As for Sir Don, I'm quite flexible, if more than enough people would rather him be ineligible for selection then I'm totally fine with that too

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
What would you say about making it so that one has to select a player who debuted in the same year as the retirement year of the player picked by the preceding poster?

Plus what does this entail when someone picks someone like Steve Smith who hasn't retired yet? How do you pick the next guy? Or are non-retired people out of bounds?
I also like that idea too Harsh, heaps of variables within that idea. If somebody wishes to create a draft like that in the future I would be keen to participate. However, I'll keep this draft the way it is.

As for selecting a non-retired cricketer like Smith, they're not out of bounds but would be great to pick up during round 12. It is your responsibility to ensure you don't peak too early. If somebody does that I'd probably just send them back to 1877.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Confirmed so far:

Honestbharani
Howe
JC
Shearzie
Harsh
Me

Any more feedback on the current rules would be appreciated.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
okay quickly read them sounds good

why make it 12 rounds though? We all know this'l mean hardly any players from 1877 will make the final teams. Round 1 will just serve as a launch pad and people will just rush to choose whoever played test cricket the longest(after Grace and Spofforth are picked)