• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player transfer system?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No, he isn't. You put someone as limited as Ed Cowan in the situation the Windies players are in and he is no way better than Darren Bravo ffs. Not even on the same planet.
Why are you comparing Cowan to their best batsman? He'd be effectively replacing their worst.

Would you rather Marlon Samuels or Ed Cowan?

Alternatively, use the Brendan Nash comparison. He eked out a serviceable period with the Windies, he's a pretty similar player to Cowan (most people in Aus would suggest that Cowan is better).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bravo is miles better than Cowan. I know that your patented 'everything Australian is better' shtick comes out daily but even for you this is insane.

Cowan would get into their side, sure.
But a) Bravo, Samuels, Kraigg Brathwaite are all better than him fairly comfortably and b) if we come to the point where the Windies are picking a bloke born in NSW to two Australian parents who is averaging 30 in tests just to make them marginally more competitive then we should stop playing test cricket.
Marlon Samuels has punched his ticket. He's done and a cancer on that team.

Cue hundred today.

91Jmay

International Coach
Why are you comparing Cowan to their best batsman? He'd be effectively replacing their worst.

Alternatively, use the Brendan Nash comparison. He eked out a serviceable period with the Windies, he's a pretty similar player to Cowan (most people in Aus would suggest that Cowan is better).
Marlon Samuels is a better player. Give him the resources Cowan has to work on his FC game and Samuels would be twice the player Cowan is.

People in this thread are seriously comparing apples to speed boats. The Windies players are treated like ****, paid nothing and you are comparing them to Aussie/English FC players who have the easiest lives of any professional cricketers in terms of the ability to work on their games + provide for their families.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Ed Cowan ****s all over Brendan

Marlon Samuels is a better player. Give him the resources Cowan has to work on his FC game and Samuels would be twice the player Cowan is.

People in this thread are seriously comparing apples to speed boats. The Windies players are treated like ****, paid nothing and you are comparing them to Aussie/English FC players who have the easiest lives of any professional cricketers in terms of the ability to work on their games + provide for their families.
which has nothing do with the discussion at all.

Marlon Samuels would seriously struggle to make a 2nd XI domestic team in Australia

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

You're doing the "would Bradman be able to play in the current era" comparison. Here we are just talking about Ed Cowan picked now for a Windies side having reaped the benefits that you refer to.

And on a side note, Samuels wouldn't use the resources, the man hasn't faced a net bowler in ten years. Just gets throwdowns.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, I think Cowan would probably do about the same as Samuel's at best. Cowan probably slightly more consistent, Samuel's with more ability to take over a game.

TheJediBrah

Yeah, I think Cowan would probably do about the same as Samuel's at best. Cowan probably slightly more consistent, Samuel's with more ability to take over a game.
Fair enough, no one's saying you can't think whatever you want

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How many top players are there out there who haven't retired from test cricket, yet have no chance of selection for their national side?
Pieterson, carberry and paine spring to mind. David miller possibly. I can't think of many more who this system would apply to who would actually improve the lesser teams
For SL, players who had been ignored for years, like Suraj Randiv would have chance to play. Randiv would walk in to most of the test sides in the world as a front line spinner.

TheJediBrah

For SL, players who had been ignored for years, like Suraj Randiv would have chance to play. Randiv would walk in to most of the test sides in the world as a front line spinner.
yeah but can he bowl a doosra without chucking it?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He doesn't bowl one. Bowls a top spinning off break though. Very bouncy off breaks and what he lacks is a arm ball which would slide low and disturb the rythm of batsmen.

TheJediBrah

Lmao Marlon Samuels just blocked a ball to short point, called yes and jogged off for a run then looked surprised when he was run out by 5 yards.

I don't know if he'd even make a First XI grade side tbh

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
yes I know it applies to domestic cricket but the PRINCIPLE is the same i.e a player giving up their country to carry on playing elsewhere..
It's not at all though as this idea is talking about players who haven't given up on playing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How does changing Australia v West Indies to Australia vs West Indies and selected Australians not in contention for the Australia team make the game any better?

Stefan9

International Debutant
How many top players are there out there who haven't retired from test cricket, yet have no chance of selection for their national side?
Pieterson, carberry and paine spring to mind. David miller possibly. I can't think of many more who this system would apply to who would actually improve the lesser teams
Miller doesn't play test cricket because he has done nothing in first class cricket to justify any selection. Average of 33

Tom Flint

International Regular
Exactly thats my point that there isn't many players around who are completely out of contention for a place in their countries side yet could still improve other teams.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Exactly thats my point that there isn't many players around who are completely out of contention for a place in their countries side yet could still improve other teams.
Guys who are mid 30s are in this category. Michael Klinger a prime example.

91Jmay

International Coach
I genuinely feel lost with some of the suggestions in this thread. Michael Carberry? Is that some kind of joke.