• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player transfer system?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's also the answer to your question.
It's the obvious answer to the question posed by the thread, not an answer to why "Ed Cowan" was singled out'

How many top players are there out there who haven't retired from test cricket, yet have no chance of selection for their national side?
Pieterson, carberry and paine spring to mind. David miller possibly. I can't think of many more who this system would apply to who would actually improve the lesser teams
surely you don't mean Tim Paine? Massively overrated by overrated by overseas fans. He's struggling to even get into his State side.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
surely you don't mean Tim Paine? Massively overrated by overrated by overseas fans. He's struggling to even get into his State side.[/QUOTE]

I was just trying to think of a player out of contention who could fill a position a team like WI need. I see him keep well in the big bash the other day I didn't realise he was so out of form in first class

91Jmay

International Coach
why? He's a lot better than anything they've got right now
No, he isn't. You put someone as limited as Ed Cowan in the situation the Windies players are in and he is no way better than Darren Bravo ffs. Not even on the same planet.

TheJediBrah

No, he isn't. You put someone as limited as Ed Cowan in the situation the Windies players are in and he is no way better than Darren Bravo ffs. Not even on the same planet.
Obviously it's a stupid concept, but what you've said there is just patently false. Ed Cowan is a similar standard to Bravo, arguably better (I'm not making that argument though), but he's far better than anything else they've got.

So basically you're saying a team wouldn't benefit from the addition of a good player unless he's significantly better than the best player they've already got.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The capitals are there to point out the major flaw. Test matches are played between international sides, not scratch teams.

The idea has literally no redeeming feature.
Redeeming features:

- Would make the struggling teams better and more competitive
- Would potentially provide leadership where there is a leadership vacuum (as is being seen in the current WI side)
- Would generate interest in tests not concerning your nation but where players from your nation are participating
- Players coming from strong academy/training structures would bring that with them and influence the culture

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah Bravo is definitely a class about Cowan. Cowan would walk into the side but comparing him to Bravo is silly.

91Jmay

International Coach
Obviously it's a stupid concept, but what you've said there is just patently false. Ed Cowan is a similar standard to Bravo, arguably better (I'm not making that argument though), but he's far better than anything else they've got.

So basically you're saying a team wouldn't benefit from the addition of a good player unless he's significantly better than the best player they've already got.
Bravo is miles better than Cowan. I know that your patented 'everything Australian is better' shtick comes out daily but even for you this is insane.

Cowan would get into their side, sure.
But a) Bravo, Samuels, Kraigg Brathwaite are all better than him fairly comfortably and b) if we come to the point where the Windies are picking a bloke born in NSW to two Australian parents who is averaging 30 in tests just to make them marginally more competitive then we should stop playing test cricket.

Red

if we come to the point where the Windies are picking a bloke born in NSW to two Australian parents who is averaging 30 in tests just to make them marginally more competitive then we should stop playing test cricket.
Or, alternately, look at it as a guy who is switched on, is nearly 34, is fairly unlikely to play for Australia again. However, he has played 125 FC games in a really strong system with a career average over 40. In a team with a good (but very inexperienced) captain and pissants like Samuels and Ramdin as "senior" players, someone like Cowan would be gold.

TheJediBrah

Bravo is miles better than Cowan. I know that your patented 'everything Australian is better' shtick comes out daily but even for you this is insane.
Overwhelming irony. If you could provide one example of this I'd be surprised.

Cowan would get into their side, sure.
then why are we arguing?

But a) Bravo, Samuels, Kraigg Brathwaite are all better than him fairly comfortably
hmm, not even close. Not that I blame you judging Cowan from his most recent pathetic out-of-form attempts at Test cricket in 2013, I used to think the same thing. I've been surprised by how good he' actually been since then.

b) if we come to the point where the Windies are picking a bloke born in NSW to two Australian parents who is averaging 30 in tests just to make them marginally more competitive then we should stop playing test cricket.
no ****

Tom Flint

International Regular
Allowing australians or English ect to play for the west indies would kill any remaining pride the current team have of playing for the west indies. Holder Samuels and taylor will join the rest in the big bash and Ipl straight away

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Or, alternately, look at it as a guy who is switched on, is nearly 34, is fairly unlikely to play for Australia again. However, he has played 125 FC games in a really strong system with a career average over 40. In a team with a good (but very inexperienced) captain and pissants like Samuels and Ramdin as "senior" players, someone like Cowan would be gold.
So someone who had a decent run of test matches in a far, far superior set up in home conditions (actual home conditions) for the large part and averaged 30 after 18 tests (with one ton) would some how go into a trainwreck of a situation and become 'gold'.

Right then.

Cowan just isn't that good.

Red

So someone who had a decent run of test matches in a far, far superior set up in home conditions (actual home conditions) for the large part and averaged 30 after 18 tests (with one ton) would some how go into a trainwreck of a situation and become 'gold'.

Right then.

Cowan just isn't that good.
You don't rate leadership/experience?

91Jmay

International Coach
hmm, not even close. Not that I blame you judging Cowan from his most recent pathetic out-of-form attempts at Test cricket in 2013, I used to think the same thing. I've been surprised by how good he' actually been since then.
Cowan was bang in form in 2013. He even said himself in the DOAG documentary that he felt amazing prior to the golden duck at TB.

91Jmay

International Coach
My broader point here is that adding absolutely mediocre 34 year old cricketers to the West Indies from other countries is patently a terrible thing to do and the final nail in their coffin.

TheJediBrah

Cowan was bang in form in 2013. He even said himself in the DOAG documentary that he felt amazing prior to the golden duck at TB.
Lol he can say what he wants to make himself feel better, but he was **** in TB and in the whole India tour preceding it.

He didn't hit domestic form again until over a year later.

Guy averages 40+ in Shield cricket, against very high quality bowling and mostly in an era where greentops were the norm and team scores of 200 won matches

TheJediBrah

My broader point here is that adding absolutely mediocre 34 year old cricketers to the West Indies from other countries is patently a terrible thing to do and the final nail in their coffin.
Yeah obviously it's stupid for a lot of reasons

You might as well just do away with international cricket and just make everything franchises

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cowan's improved a lot since his stint in Test cricket; I definitely think he's better than his Test average. No comparison with Darren Bravo but he's I think he's a borderline Test class player who'd probably average mid to high 30s if he played again now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would make matches more competitive and even across the board, I suspect. It'd reduce my (and I suspect a lot of other people's) interest in watching them to basically nothing though.