• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best South African batsman ever

Select the best batsman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stefan9

International Debutant
How can we compare them as Richards and Pollock played too little test cricket and no odi or t20 cricket?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am going to wimp out totally and as I never saw Richards and Pollock as they were before my time I will say AB as I rate him higher than Kallis.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Going on what I've heard anecdotally and read from former test players, it's Barry Richards for me.

Stefan9

International Debutant
If I have pick kallis because at the start of his career he held a very poor SA batting lineup together with only real support coming from Gary Kirsten. AB has always been surrounded by some pretty good players.

Personally would have included smith,kirsten and amla in this poll as well.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yet Graeme Pollock seems to make more people's all-time world XIs than Kallis quite comfortably. So surprised to see the current count at Kallis 8 to Pollock's 2. Could well be a generational thing more than anything else.

watson

Banned
What's your rationale for Barry being 'best' and Pollock 'greatest'? Not sure I follow.
In Dr Ali Bacher's book, 'South Africa's Greatest Batsman' (published 2015) there is a chapter titled, 'Postscript: Who is the Greatest of the Great'. Bacher concludes the following after debating the relative merits of Pollock, Richards, Kallis....

'So who is the best of these great batsmen? After much serious consideration, I am going to gently nudge Barry Richards ahead –by a hair’s breadth. Why? He is the most complete all-round batsman I have seen.'

Barry Richards unfortunately played only four Tests but how good was he? I asked this question when I met Sir Donald Bradman. He said, “He was as good as Sir Jack Hobbs and Sir Leonard Hutton.” Enough said.

One of the greatest batting performances ever was by Barry Richards playing for South Australia against Western Australia, at the WACA ground in Perth during November 1970, and hardly a South African is aware of the following story. At the close of play on day one, South Australia were 513 for three, and Barry had 325 not out. He had gone from 79 to 216 between lunch and tea, and from 216 to 325 after tea. He was eventually out for 356, scored off 381 balls, and was at the crease for 372 minutes. The bowlers in the Western Australia attack were Test class –none other than the great Dennis Lillee, the formidable Graeme McKenzie and the experienced Tony Lock. Barry had an uncanny cricket brain. In 1970 Bill Lawry’s Aussie team toured South Africa. They had a mystery flick-spin bowler named Johnny Gleeson. The first time we faced him was day one of the first Test at Newlands and he mesmerised all of our batsmen that day except for Barry. We had a team meeting that evening. After a short stint at the wicket, Barry had him worked out. If you saw a lot of fingers over the ball, it was the leg-break; and if you saw the ball between thumb and forefinger, it was the off-break. Gleeson was their best bowler and never once got Barry out in the series. I always tell Barry that my finest batting achievement was to keep him out of our Test team against Bobby Simpson’s Australians in 1966–67. Sadly, again, he has never been acknowledged in South Africa for his greatness.

So who is the best of these great batsmen? After much serious consideration, I am going to gently nudge Barry Richards ahead –by a hair’s breadth. Why? He is the most complete all-round batsman I have seen. He opened the batting, and that position has to be the most difficult of all the different batting positions.

However, despite Richards being the 'best' South African batsman as far as technique goes there is no escaping the fact that he played only 4 official Test matches. In my opinion, in order to be classified as truly 'great' the batsman needs to have played more than one or two Test series.

Last edited:

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Barry was the best, greatest should probably go to someone who achieved more in the test match arena.