• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best South African batsman ever

Select the best batsman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes Graeme was a great batsmen. Its really only between him Barry for sa's greatest bat. Yes Pollock did make the 125 form 160 balls at Trent bridge where virtually no else could make any runs as the wicket was very difficult. But he got hit on the head by the west Indies paceman during the rebel tours. Barry had so much time to play his shots. They say often it felt like he and the boer had agreed before hand where to pitch the ball and he just responded accordingly. They say when he played baseball he saw the ball so early and he hit many home runs because of this Graeme himself was a good player of pace . Many duels with Sylvester Clarke proved that. But for me the edge goes to Barry.
Wasn't Pollock like almost 40 when the West Indians toured? Silly to say he was iffy against the short stuff because Clarke hit him in the head.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes he was going to towards the end of his career. Barry is only a year younger than Graeme but that happened in the second rebel tour (a year or 2 later)I think when Barry was longer playing for SA and had gone to Australia. Granted it was a 2nd west Indies eleven but it was a very good one. Graeme of course was a very tall batsman and he used a very heavy bat. So he might have struggled a bit because of the incessant nature of the short pitched fast bowling. I just don't think Barry would have had a problem.

Zinzan

Wasn't Pollock like almost 40 when the West Indians toured? Silly to say he was iffy against the short stuff because Clarke hit him in the head.
Not only that, but name me one other batsman of note in history that was never hit by fast bowlers, especially those playing against the windies in the 70s/80s.

I find it hard to believe Richards was never made to look a little foolish against some of those pacers he would have faced in his career.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
No I never thought Graeme was iffy against fast bowling. It was just the constant barrage of short pitched fast bowling. Graeme was using contact lenses or glasses at the time.

Just to get the record straight ;
RG Pollock was an al time great batsmen. I just give Barry the edge that's all. He is only slight ahead. Think of it this way. If Barry batted 4 and Graeme opened what would their respective records looked like? Barry was just superb against fast bowling.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
When you are regarded as one of 3 best players against short pitched fast bowling by someone of the stature of Bradman and included in his all time eleven than he nust have very good against pace.

Zinzan

That's fine, but just because he was the best batsman ever, that doesn't necessarily make Bradman the best judge. I've heard a similar line of argument for those bigging up Tendulkar, by quoting Bradman's comments about how Sachin reminded him of himself... well *** they were both around 5'5, so hardly that surprising.

There's no reason to say Bradman's any better as an analyst or judge than say Ian Chappell is as an example, and Chappelli is on record as saying Pollock is the 2nd best batsman he ever saw after Garry Sobers.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
That's a Fair point.

I don't think Bradman was in terms of judgement streets ahead of anyone else. I think however that at test level he was the best captain ever to have captained a side. He was selector for many years after he retired so he was always involved in the practical side of things. I certainly consider his judgement second to none.

Perhaps Chappel is correct but If I had to choose a batsmen to face a pace bowling barrage on a greentop and in conditions where the ball swung I would go for Barry an not Graeme.