• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2015 Final Test Rankings - Steve Smith #1, Williamson #2, Voges #11

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No sub-continent side has toured India since SL 09. And no, Indian pitches haven't been exaggerated at all, yes you run into the odd bowler friendly wicket every now and then, but that happens everywhere. For the most part India just beat the opposition fair and square.
I agree ashwin is class when playing in Asia, but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you genuinely believe that^

saying it for the 3rd or 4th time, because apparently that's what's necessary, but when Simon Harmer and Dean Elgar look like Warne and Murali, and Steyn/Morkel/Philander look like Stuart Binny then you haven't got a leg to stand on

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree ashwin is class when playing in Asia, but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you genuinely believe that^

saying it for the 3rd or 4th time, because apparently that's what's necessary, but when Simon Harmer and Dean Elgar look like Warne and Murali, and Steyn/Morkel/Philander look like Stuart Binny then you haven't got a leg to stand on
So many errors I don't even know where to start, firstly, Steyn and Philander only played one test, in which they bowled decently. Secondly Morkel actually was SA's standout bowler despite Harmer taking more wickets. Another thing, if you bowl well on pitches that offer a bit to the spinners than you CAN ACTUALLY take wickets, SHOCKING isn't it? Harmer actually bowled well for most of his wickets and got put away when not bowling well, the different between Indian spinners and SA spinners was that SA's spinners simply weren't able to put the ball on good areas consistently enough to close out Indian innings, whereas Indian spinners were at SA all the time. Lastly this India batting line up is much weaker overall than the previous generation, so a bunch of low scores isn't that surprising.

Your comments about Indian pitches in this topic clearly demonstrate the fact that you haven't actually watched any matches that took place in India over the years and just read up a scorecard and make generalized statements.

TheJediBrah

So many errors I don't even know where to start, firstly, Steyn and Philander only played one test, in which they bowled decently. Secondly Morkel actually was SA's standout bowler despite Harmer taking more wickets. Another thing, if you bowl well on pitches that offer a bit to the spinners than you CAN ACTUALLY take wickets, SHOCKING isn't it? Harmer actually bowled well for most of his wickets and got put away when not bowling well, the different between Indian spinners and SA spinners was that SA's spinners simply weren't able to put the ball on good areas consistently enough to close out Indian innings, whereas Indian spinners were at SA all the time. Lastly this India batting line up is much weaker overall than the previous generation, so a bunch of low scores isn't that surprising.

Your comments about Indian pitches in this topic clearly demonstrate the fact that you haven't actually watched any matches that took place in India over the years and just read up a scorecard and make generalized statements.
You still haven't said a single relevant thing. India's bowlers have been massively helped by ridiculously helpful conditions where ordinary spin bowlers have done well.

You can't say the same for Australia's batting in the slightest.

I don't want to take anything away from Ashwin, he's a great bowler in helpful conditions, but is he the outright obvious no. 1 bowler? Highly debatable.

Batting wise, Smith/Root/Williamson are unequivocally the best 3 batsmen, regardless of conditions.

Your post smacks of "I know my argument is rubbish but I'm just going to nitpick a bunch of completely irrelevant and inconsequential facts to try and save face"

Last edited:

TNT

Banned

Lyon has taken 46 wickets @ 31 in Australia over the last two years, so I don't get how its a batsmans paradise.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's definitely been a shift in the Indian wickets over the past four years. The trajectory of the Indian matches before then was much like the UAE is now, where it all happened on the last day and a half - the aim was to put yourself into a position to compete in that time. I think it's generally a good thing though; touring is supposed to be tough.

Going to hurt the career averages of their current batsmen though. And if Jadeja's the sixth best bowler in the world, I'm not here.

OverratedSanity

You still haven't said a single relevant thing. India's bowlers have been massively helped by ridiculously helpful conditions where ordinary spin bowlers have done well.
This doesn't make sense. If you're saying the Indian pitches help even ordinary spinners like Tahir and Elgar, while Ashwin does well even on other less helpful SC pitches, doesn't that hurt India's chances instead of giving us a massive advantage? You sort of defeated your own point there.

Lyon has taken 46 wickets @ 31 in Australia over the last two years, so I don't get how its a batsmans paradise.
It's about knowing how to bowl on a pitch. The same Lyon who picks up wickets in Australia got completely taken apart on the Indian pitches which were described as "shockers" and "rank dustbowls" by guys like Ryan Harris.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
lol at all the little aussie casual fans getting defensive. australian curators, intentionally or not, make pitches where you have to bowl 90mph or be an awesome 135kph bowler just to trouble spuds like joe burns and mitch marsh and then half the country wonders why the home track heroes can't bat or bowl overseas.

TheJediBrah

This doesn't make sense. If you're saying the Indian pitches help even ordinary spinners like Tahir and Elgar, while Ashwin does well even on other less helpful SC pitches, doesn't that hurt India's chances instead of giving us a massive advantage? You sort of defeated your own point there.
Hmm, no, my point was not that India's pitches are helping them. It was that they are helping their spin bowlers. And regardless of that, also, no, it wouldn't hurt India's chances at all because it is accentuating their strength and negating the opposition's. Slightly helping opposition spinners isn't going to hurt when you're concurrently rendering their fast bowlers and batsman far less effective. This should be obvious to even a casual fan.

Bizarre post

It's about knowing how to bowl on a pitch. The same Lyon who picks up wickets in Australia got completely taken apart on the Indian pitches which were described as "shockers" and "rank dustbowls" by guys like Ryan Harris.
Or, it could be because that was over 2 years ago, which is the period stated in TNT's post.

lol at all the little aussie casual fans getting defensive. australian curators, intentionally or not, make pitches where you have to bowl 90mph or be an awesome 135kph bowler just to trouble spuds like joe burns and mitch marsh and then half the country wonders why the home track heroes can't bat or bowl overseas.
So where do Southee and Boult stand? Not as good as Siddle or Hazlewood?

And did Mitch Marsh even bat this summer?

another weird post. Desperation?

TNT

Banned
Lyon took 15 wickets @ 37. And just for the record Harris didn't bowl one ball in that series.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Lyon bowled **** and got dropped (unfairly and stupidly, but he was certainly not bowling well). And Harris not bowling doesn't exactly mean much; he said what he said.

OverratedSanity

Lyon took 15 wickets @ 37. And just for the record Harris didn't bowl one ball in that series.
You say that as if averaging 37 on pitches which had help for the spinners us somehow impressive. Lyon was ****ing terrible. Not as woeful as he was in UAE but still woeful.

You don't even have to look at Lyon anyway. Look at Ashwin. Bowled brilliantly on turning pitches vs SA, but in 2012 vs England on pitches which turned just as much, he bowled complete rubbish and duly got tonked by Cook and KP. I didn't see the people saying the pitches in that series provided Indian spinners an unfair advantage even though they offered just as much turn. Oh wait that's because the English spinners bowled superbly and India lost. So we'll just ignore that series altogether.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Series averages can be misleading

First test: 244 for 4, an average of 61. Econ Rate of 4.57 in the first innings and 5.27 in the second (highest among all Australian bowlers)
Third Test: 151 for 2, an average of 75.5 Econ Rate of 4 in the first innings and 5.4 in the second
Fourth Test: 94 for 7 in the first innings and 71 for 2 in the second.

A case of one innings skewing the overall data.

OverratedSanity

but when Simon Harmer and Dean Elgar look like Warne and Murali, and Steyn/Morkel/Philander look like Stuart Binny then you haven't got a leg to stand on
Did you not see Morkel and Abbott's spells in that series? These posts are very weird.

TNT

Banned
You say that as if averaging 37 on pitches which had help for the spinners us somehow impressive. Lyon was ****ing terrible. Not as woeful as he was in UAE but still woeful.

You don't even have to look at Lyon anyway. Look at Ashwin. Bowled brilliantly on turning pitches vs SA, but in 2012 vs England on pitches which turned just as much, he bowled complete rubbish and duly got tonked by Cook and KP. I didn't see the people saying the pitches in that series provided Indian spinners an unfair advantage even though they offered just as much turn. Oh wait that's because the English spinners bowled superbly and India lost. So we'll just ignore that series altogether.
So that makes tracks in Australia a batsman paradise, I just don't see the connection.

TheJediBrah

How can you not see that that doesn't support your point at all . . . in fact quite the opposite. If Lyon bowled well and still went for runs, that would support your contention.

Series averages can be misleading

First test: 244 for 4, an average of 61. Econ Rate of 4.57 in the first innings and 5.27 in the second (highest among all Australian bowlers)
Third Test: 151 for 2, an average of 75.5 Econ Rate of 4 in the first innings and 5.4 in the second
Fourth Test: 94 for 7 in the first innings and 71 for 2 in the second.

A case of one innings skewing the overall data.
stupid post. If you take out the best or worst results of any set of data the results will change significantly, you could say that for anything. It has no relevance to the discussion whatsoever.

"Take out all of Virat Kohli's hundreds and he only averages 30, so he isn't good at all" --> does that make sense? No.

indiaholic

International Captain
Stupid post... Using series averages is misleading and that is what I was pointing out.

Does your post make sense? No.

TheJediBrah

Did you not see Morkel and Abbott's spells in that series? These posts are very weird.
You're doing it again

"I know my argument is rubbish but I'm just going to nitpick a bunch of completely irrelevant and inconsequential facts to try and save face"

completely irrelevant

It is just the sad state of ignorance from an Australian fan trying to get one up.
if you're not going to engage in intelligent conversation and you're just here to troll and ignore any insights that have been gained throughout the thread's discussion then you're wasting both your own time and everyone else's and I don't really understand what you're doing here tbh

The last page of this thread has been trash. Trolls starting several irrelevent arguments that no one is even discussing but are vaguely related to the discussion in order to distract from the facts it seems. Either deliberate derailing or just the happenstance of ignorance.