• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best grounds to watch cricket

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I've slowly been ticking off cricket venues and have to say that Lord's gets my #1 because it's like nowhere else. The champers, Pimms and quiet chatting amongst the crowd is still novel enough for me to think there is something magic about the place.

The Gabba and the MCG are great venues if there's a big crowd and lots of action on the field, but the atmosphere has been lacking at The Gabba since the fun police stepped up their game about ten years ago. I've only ever watched the footy at the SCG but I imagine it would be the best ground in the country to watch cricket from.

I love the smaller grounds for watching domestic cricket, particularly Allan Border and the Basin Reserve. I had one of my most enjoyable days at the cricket earlier this year watching a low-scoring nailbiter at the County Ground in Hove. There was nothing appealing about the ground itself, but sitting in the English sun sinking pints that you've picked up from the shop down the road is hard to beat.

Newlands and North Sydney are the next two I want to tick off my list.

Which grounds would you go back to and which would you recommend avoiding?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was thinking as I saw the huge cricket ground today. I like the smaller grounds. Where I can hear a few birds chirping, a nice knock of the leather on the willow and some cracking shots. There are a few in Kolkata I try to watch domestic and club cricket in when I can. Far more satisfying than watching in Eden Gardens. I was watching a small local football game a few months back and my friend (who is a big football fan) remarked that small and big grounds both have their charms. Maybe, but I always prefer the smaller grounds. That's how the game started and was played initially and that's where the soul of the game lies.

Stapel

International Regular
I guess, no, I'm quite certain, that the best ground is far more definfed by the type of match and/or crowd. Obviously some grounds help far more than others. But it's hard to say what makes a ground a good ground. I've been to Lord's, The Oval, Edgebaston, Trent Bridge and, I guess the best of 'm, The Kensington Oval.

The absolute best can be found here:

https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.1152056,4.3405436,763m/data=!3m1!1e3

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Have been to Lord's , Southampton ( not sure what it's called these days) , Trent bridge, Edgbaston, Durham , Old Trafford and the mighty Headingley.. Personally I prefer headingley(for obvious reasons) , Trafford is always good fun( akin in the roses matches, to galatasaray I would assume) and Trent bridge for the atmosphere. I like the tradition behind lords but find it dull. I haven't been to the oval and would like to.
Would love to go the grounds abroad with grass embankments as I can't think of much better than having the sun in my back with a beer in hand watching cricket sat on a blanket/ fold up chair..

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've slowly been ticking off cricket venues and have to say that Lord's gets my #1 because it's like nowhere else. The champers, Pimms and quiet chatting amongst the crowd is still novel enough for me to think there is something magic about the place.

The Gabba and the MCG are great venues if there's a big crowd and lots of action on the field, but the atmosphere has been lacking at The Gabba since the fun police stepped up their game about ten years ago. I've only ever watched the footy at the SCG but I imagine it would be the best ground in the country to watch cricket from.

I love the smaller grounds for watching domestic cricket, particularly Allan Border and the Basin Reserve. I had one of my most enjoyable days at the cricket earlier this year watching a low-scoring nailbiter at the County Ground in Hove. There was nothing appealing about the ground itself, but sitting in the English sun sinking pints that you've picked up from the shop down the road is hard to beat.

The best atmosphere at Lords was when Somerset were playing a one-day Final in the late 70's/early 80's and Drink Up Thy Cider could be heard resonating from under the old tavern.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lord's is superb, and I'm also a fan of Seddon Park in Hamilton.

Eden Park is dismal for tests, but the atmosphere is pretty special for a limited-overs game there with a big crowd. Will never forget the roar for Grant Elliott's six.

My one experience of the Basin Reserve was kind of ruined by a bitterly cold wind blowing in my face, so my impression of it probably wasn't fair. I also didn't particularly like McLean Park in Napier when I went to an ODI there a few years back.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The Basin is really nice, as is North Sydney Oval.

The SCG blends the needs of being a modern super-stadium with the tradition of the pavilion, but I reckon the facilities leave a lot to be desired. That said, its miles ahead of ANZ Stadium. Adelaide is quite nice too, especially with its location in the city.

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eden Park was pretty special when NZ thumped Aus earlier this year, but I really enjoyed the tranquility of Seddon Park in Hamilton. Went down there a few years back to watch a test match. it was the day that Sidebottom took a hattrick

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only ever visited three grounds, I'll say AB field since its essentially a comfy club ground.

I would say Lords being the other one apart from the Gabba that I've visited. But when I was watching a county match there last year during the 'Summer' I quite literally froze on the lower tier and actually entered cryogenic stasis.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chennai because it always produces the best matches. Was there for Pak 99, Aus 01, Aus 04, England 08. All classics.

cnerd123

likes this
I've been to both Sharjah and the Sheikh Zayed stadium in Abu Dhabhi. The latter is absolutely fantastic. Watched an India vs. Pak ODI there. Great stuff. Beautiful ground.

I was too young to fully appreciate Sharjah; but remember the noise level and energy there being fantastic. It was an Indian Celebs vs Pak Celebs charity game. I would love to watch a real match there someday.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Etihad Stadium in Docklands is very good viewing for BB games. Even the back seats are close to the action. Same for AFL.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Only ever visited three grounds, I'll say AB field since its essentially a comfy club ground.

I would say Lords being the other one apart from the Gabba that I've visited. But when I was watching a county match there last year during the 'Summer' I quite literally froze on the lower tier and actually entered cryogenic stasis.
Was Nick Compton batting at the time?

Tom Flint

International Regular
The sold out Kensington oval in Trinidad for a cpl t20 game a few years ago. Unbelievable atmosphere bands playing in the stands everyone dancing and loving the cricket. Must have been a throwback to the how the grounds used to be during the windies glory days.
The all out bar in the pavilion was lively after the game too, turned into a nightclub open until 4am! Dwyane bravo took over on the mic from the dj and ross taylor on the dance floor looking a bit worse for wear and we're the rest of his team mates!

James90

Cricketer Of The Year

It turned back the clock last night. Very loud and engaged crowd at the Big Bash.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reckon Headingley is my favourite. I know that proves my lancs ways to be token but well we knew that didn't we? I'm from the good side of the Mersey so could never call myself a Lancastrian. ****ing hate Bolton too much. Don't get me wrong like, Lancs>>all but Headingley is my favourite place to watch cricket